Powerslide - First Screenshots

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 26 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
Last update before first beta at which make this alpha...

GET IT HERE
Nice! I believe the controls are a tad more responsive in this version and the _feel_ of the game is getting really awesome!

I'm looking forward to the beta!

Last edited by a moderator:
For mod ability sake I think you should introduce a file structure to your game for ingame assets, as atm you have the graphics folder a nice thing to do would be to seperate the stuff into:

graphics/tracks/
graphics/cars/

possibly

graphics/buildings/

etc that way you can overlay predefined building images in certain spots on the track and allow a nice variation.

If you think thats messy you should see the code....

Seriously - Im tidying up stuff I wrote 2 weeks ago just to get levels to load...

And theres stuff growing at the top of this coffee cup.......

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 26 2006 at 11:28 PM said:
Nah, unless it touches the bits where I drink from its cool..
i'll send you a straw if it'll help you finish it ;)

its really good fun...
if you're still looking for suggestions, if you kept a friction variable associated with the vehicle and the track then you could have hover cars && sci fi themes, or boats and a water track etc with the same engine i'd guess....

cheers

I gave it a good go this afternoon, and now I'm eagerly waiting for more :) As others said, the GP2X really needs a solid top-down racer, and yours will definitely fill that void.

What I'll say was probably already said by others, but here's some feedback:

- There's no feeling of friction, I think this could be bettered by making steering less responsive.

- The game hangs on a black screen when pressing Start+Select.

- The cars are very colourful, while the track landscape has a less vibrant palette. You should use brighter colours for the track graphics.

That's all I can think of for the time being. Keep up the awesome work, this is one game I look forward to!

- Alex

poddy posted on Dec 26 2006 at 11:41 PM said:
Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 26 2006 at 11:28 PM said:
Nah, unless it touches the bits where I drink from its cool..
i'll send you a straw if it'll help you finish it ;)

its really good fun...
if you're still looking for suggestions, if you kept a friction variable associated with the vehicle and the track then you could have hover cars && sci fi themes, or boats and a water track etc with the same engine i'd guess....

cheers

Nail on head poddy. I wish I could do graphics then we could have all of that in the game so easily. ONE MORE PLEA FOR A GRAPHIC ARTIST - if anyone can do graphics PLEASE get in touch. I really need help!

Alex. posted on Dec 27 2006 at 01:45 AM said:
I gave it a good go this afternoon, and now I'm eagerly waiting for more :) As others said, the GP2X really needs a solid top-down racer, and yours will definitely fill that void.

What I'll say was probably already said by others, but here's some feedback:

- There's no feeling of friction, I think this could be bettered by making steering less responsive.

- The game hangs on a black screen when pressing Start+Select.

- The cars are very colourful, while the track landscape has a less vibrant palette. You should use brighter colours for the track graphics.

That's all I can think of for the time being. Keep up the awesome work, this is one game I look forward to!

- Alex
No feeling of friction - totally agree. Its like its on ice isnt it? Im going to concentrate my efforts on getting the beta out today with a massive TWO tracks and a drift track then Ill have a play with the feel and see if I can do anything about it.

Start and Select bug - ooops. HERE is the fix. Just replace car.gpe

Graphics - Im rubbish at graphics (see plea for artist).

Thanks for taking the time to have a play and make a comment guys :)

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 27 2006 at 09:59 AM said:
ONE MORE PLEA FOR A GRAPHIC ARTIST - if anyone can do graphics PLEASE get in touch. I really need help!

might be worth starting a new thread this request?
definately post the beta release announcement in the news section in a new thread and say you're looking for graphics anyway...
more eyes will see it that way.
really hope you find someone :)

Not the promised beta but a playable version with two tracks.

The big plus signs that come out the back of the car are signifying your drifting and will only be in the drift bonus level but I left them in just to show you.

Ive been at this all day - two hours on a single bug that turned out to be a cut and paste that I forgot to change - C is very annoying :angry:

Anyway - GET IT HERE ~1.8mb - this will be the last update until I finish the thing. Should be done - include all 8 tracks by 31st Dec if not very soon after.

I hated Isometric racers back in the day, but this one is kinda cool, has its bugs, but for a homebrew game, its kinda great. Well done!

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 27 2006 at 09:00 PM said:
Not the promised beta but a playable version with two tracks.

The big plus signs that come out the back of the car are signifying your drifting and will only be in the drift bonus level but I left them in just to show you.

Ive been at this all day - two hours on a single bug that turned out to be a cut and paste that I forgot to change - C is very annoying :angry:

Anyway - GET IT HERE ~1.8mb - this will be the last update until I finish the thing. Should be done - include all 8 tracks by 31st Dec if not very soon after.

I was wondering, does this have to be isometric? A straight down racer like Rally-x etc. would be alot easier to make graphics for and probably code too, like below: Only I would make the cars bigger etc than the image below, just an example.

screen14.jpg

Not at at all harder to code as its pseudo-isometric (just an overlay to give the impression of depth). But graphically a pain in the arse (to me anyway) but looks a lot better IMHO.

Ive worked out a system for doing the graphics - they wont be brilliant (or even good) but it means I will be able to put together something halfway decent.

Gameplay is where its at daddio :)

Underclocking is whats going on right now. Runs fine at 100MHz with no sound and 150MHz with sound. Loading times are the only thing that suffer and even then its not too bad. The option will be there to select the CPU speed.

Bang on target for a 31st December release.

therealadmin posted on Dec 28 2006 at 03:33 AM said:
This is really fun, nice game. I look forward to the full thing :) .

Not long now mate - wish me luck.

DBH posted on Dec 28 2006 at 11:45 PM said:
dude ure avatar added in this splash screen is a bit... scary.

Sid James scary? Thats crazy talk. :lol:

Back