Prboom & Uhexen Wont Work On My 4gb Card

imhotep

PrBoom and uHexen work fine on my old 128MB card, but when I try to run them on my 4GB card they fail to load (the screen stays black).

Has anyone else experienced this?

My 4GB card is very slow (slower than my 128MB) and is a cheap brand which probably doesn't help, but could it be the FAT32 file system? Everything else (emus, homebrew, 2xQuake, Heretic2X) work fine on it though.

I have tried defragging the card, but this didn't help.

PrBoom and uHexen work fine on my old 128MB card, but when I try to run them on my 4GB card they fail to load (the screen stays black).

Has anyone else experienced this?

My 4GB card is very slow (slower than my 128MB) and is a cheap brand which probably doesn't help, but could it be the FAT32 file system? Everything else (emus, homebrew, 2xQuake, Heretic2X) work fine on it though.

I have tried defragging the card, but this didn't help.
Are the setups (folder hierarchy, etc) exactly the same on both cards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have used exactly the same folder hierarchy, directory names and setups.

I just tested how slow my 4GB card actually is. It took 15mins 26secs to transfer a 200MB file over to it.

I think my card simply takes too long to load the doom.wad or doom2.wad file and it stuffs up the interpreter from loading correctly. But it could be something else about the 4GB card that is causing the issue (e.g. FAT32 file system, large amount tof data on my card).

Has anyone got either of these 2 games running on a 4GB card?

I fixed it!

By underclocking (166MHz seems fine). Both PrBoom and uHexen work on my 4GB card.

Don't ask me why underclocking helped. :D

Back