Pre Installed Programs

Yep, all good; if the app does try to write back to itself, it gets redirected to the SD and future runs will use the updates files there, invisible to the application. (Its just a function of priority, with SD files of the same name in the same path etc taking precedence over the one from the pnd.) So your app might drop out an updated version of one or more files and they'd be in the SD now, and the OS would take care of the magic..l your app would get the updated versions and not be the wiser.

You could of course update the pnd itself with a patcher, if you liked.

But if you have 100MB data files you're updating without using a patcher or a new pnd file, then it might be wasteful of space. Course, people are buying 8 or 16 GB SD cards, right? :)

But you might want to mount the pnd yourself (non union), and update it, so that 'the' pnd is updated.

Consider the pnd like a CD; you buy Warcraft on CD or DVD and install it; the game patches its copy, not the original. But in this case yo ucould mount the original, patch it, if you wanted to. Bad analogy maybe :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
'skeezix' said:
Consider the pnd like a CD; you buy Warcraft on CD or DVD and install it; the game patches its copy, not the original. But in this case yo ucould mount the original, patch it, if you wanted to. Bad analogy maybe :)

jeff
Just a bit, but that is better in some respects as long as you've got the option to not patch the original. It would be really convenient to copy the original patch it and then install via the patched version. I doubt that on the Pandora that I'll be reinstalling things regularly, but it would be nice to just install the patched version rather than install then patch.

I just wish that there were a way of doing that with windows games.

I take for granted that the developers are doing the Right Thing:
1) The user account isn't root, it's a non-privileged account
2) When you install an SD card it's mounted with the 'user' option, i.e. not as root.
And so on.

Back