Pre-purchase questions..

RobertG

I've been wanting to get a GP32 for awhile but have been holding out, waiting for someone to release a Megadrive emulator. But I'm a little too tired of waiting, so I'm thinking of getting a GP32 and programming a Megadrive emulator myself ;) There's plenty of C 68K cores around and the Megadrive is very well documented so it wont be too big a deal (hehe.. don't quote me).

But seriously, the things that have really made me want to get a GP32 now rather than to wait are JoyGP and GPEngine (plus the other emulators)..

My with JoyGP is can you put multiple commercial game downloads on one smc cart? It seems that if the sizes of the PC demos are anything to go by you should be able to fit pretty much all of the JoyGP games on one smc.. It would really suck if you had to dedicate an smc per game.

Also the PC demos I've tried are really slow and jerky, unplayable.. I suspect that they're running in emulation (although my PC should be more than fast enough to cope), which would explain it. How good are these games on a real GP32? Are they actually any good?

Emulation and GPEngine questions now.. ;)

Is GPEngine full speed with sound? Does it support Super Grafx? :) How good are the SMS, Gameboy and SNES emulators (I know snes emulation is slow.. but is stuff like FF, Chrono Trigger, etc playable at all?). Finally are any of the NES emulators any good? PocketNES is pretty much the only reason I have a GBA..

I take it that http://www.gbax.com is THE place to buy one from, right? :)

Thanks,

Robert.

Oookay...
You can put multiple commercial games on one card. No problem with that (but you can only play them with your gamepark).

GPEngine runs PRETTY good! Full sound, nearly full speed (I guess 95-100%, depends on the game).
Some games don't run, don't know, if those are SuperGFX or not.
The SMS Emulator is pretty much the same, very playable with sound, full speed.
The NES Emulator (best one: infones) is playable, but you shouldn't turn on the sound... it really sounds terrible!
The GameBoy / GameBoy Color emulator works well, sound and speed okay (although the sound stutters a bit when running in fullscreen stretched mode). I can't tell how well it runs GameBoy Color games, cause it crashes on my GP32 when I run them (this seems to be
a problem some people have - on the other GP32 it works well I guess)
I can't say anything about the SNES emulator... it runs good, looks good but is waaaay too slow for me...
It is playable without sound, but I don't like playing without all the good old tunes... I'll wait patiently as emulation surely will become better :)

Back