Prices of the SMS

blipped4 posted on Dec 28 2003 at 07:43 AM said:
There cant be another cpu after the 128bit verisons coz of the amount of pins .
Yes but clock speed and other optimisations can still be made. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ColinR posted on Dec 28 2003 at 05:27 AM said:
Moore's Law is the increasing complexities of computer chips over time. Every 18 months, computer chips double in power, basically. Named after the bloke at Intel who came up with it:
http://www.intel.com/research/silicon/mooreslaw.htm
the "bloke at intel" was the CEO back then :p

I won a SMS in the Rice Crispies breakfast cereal competition Ages and Ages ago when they first came out hehe... :D

Yeah the new intels gonna be 5000mhz so thatll be sweet for people who like intel, prefer amd because they can be overclocked.The actual speed wont really go far past 10ghz unless they make a new kind of chip for the zif socket.The amd 64 is closin in on the amount of pins to optimise aswell so i dont think amd will have the same type of chip.

ColinR posted on Dec 28 2003 at 12:27 AM said:
Moore's Law is the increasing complexities of computer chips over time. Every 18 months, computer chips double in power, basically. Named after the bloke at Intel who came up with it:
http://www.intel.com/research/silicon/mooreslaw.htm
3 Years, not 18 Months.

But there are already processors made by Intel going over 4GHz, there just aren't any motherbords that can handle them.

blipped4 posted on Dec 29 2003 at 05:41 PM said:
Yeah the new intels gonna be 5000mhz so thatll be sweet for people who like intel, prefer amd because they can be overclocked.The actual speed wont really go far past 10ghz unless they make a new kind of chip for the zif socket.The amd 64 is closin in on the amount of pins to optimise aswell so i dont think amd will have the same type of chip.
New Bartons are locked, so AMD are hardly as "overclocking friendly" as they used to be. And what was that about Intel's not able to overclock? :confused: I'm running my P4 1.6a @ 2.6ghz.

Intel can scale the Pentium 4 architecture up to around 10ghz, moving to a 9 micron process along the way. AMD cannot scale anywhere near that far, and are relying on being able to do more work per clock cycle...

Back