Problem With C64 Game

psj3809

I'm trying to run the game Mayhem in Monsterland for the C64, its meant to be a great game and is one of the highest rated ever in a C64 magazine and I really wanna try it on the GP32.

I set the infinite lives etc then press <Space> to continue, finally the main menu appears with a catchy tune saying 'Mayhem In Monsterland'

However any key i press on the virtual keyboard it never moves on. I try pressing the 'Fire' buttons but again nothing.

I'm positive the game isnt corrupt, has anyone else had this problem with this game ? All other C64 games i've tried seem fine

afaik, this game isn't compatible with frodo, sorry. there are only a few, which won't work, like fort apokalypse, creatures and wings of fury. and these 3 are some of my favourites.

maybe, there'll be an update some day, which comes with imroved compatibility.

Oh pity ! Always the way !

Cheers anyway, i'll download a C64 for the PC and i'll try it on there. I thought i was going mad ! Tried pressing everything !

Cheers for the reply

this may seem to be a dump question but i don't care,
is it possible to do a dump of the game working in one of the c64 emulators on the pc, and then transfer it to the gp and get it working on frodo?

yuujin posted on Oct 4 2004 at 09:06 PM said:
is it possible to do a dump of the game working in one of the c64 emulators on the pc, and then transfer it to the gp and get it working on frodo?

No, it doesn't work on Frodo, on any platform. It does work on VICE, which isn't on the Gp32.

Last edited by a moderator:
yuujin posted on Oct 4 2004 at 09:06 PM said:

you're quite right, this is a possibility, I tried it but couldn't get it goin but it is worth fiddling around and trying to dump it from different points in the game, like I suggested here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=165153

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my 2c:

I used to subscribe to commodore format and read all about the making of Mayhem in Monsterland, and played it too, when it came out. I have played it on the PC using an emu called CCS64 (which is great BTW) - and can get the game plus all others here http://www.c64.com/

Anyway, just like is mentioned in the 'graphics card' thread in 'Cool ideas etc', this game used all sorts of tricks on the c64 to make it run quickly and run on the little amount of memory available by using quirks inherent in the C64 hardware and CPU such as swapping registers and stuff to shift memory around, and unless the emu emulates the c64 cycle-perfect, it won't work.

But CCS64 does, so anyone wanna port that to the GP?

Back