Problem with SD cards

MrPoletski

Still Fresh
Gents,

Got my pandora, lovely and all. Been using 2 SD cards with it, a 4GB one I've had for ages and a 32GB I bought with it.

Annoying thing is that although the 32GB one shows up in the file manager, I can't always select it. I click on it and nothing changes, but I can select other thigns like my memory stick etc and they are accessed fine.

odd thing is the PND applications I put on the SD card show up on my desktop, so it's definitely reading it.

Also, I have a more general questin about the pandora. say I run PSX4all or the other one, how do I QUIT this app, because so far all I've been able to do to get back to my desktop is reboot.

thanks

Dave

Annoying thing is that although the 32GB one shows up in the file manager, I can't always select it. I click on it and nothing changes, but I can select other thigns like my memory stick etc and they are accessed fine.

You could try browsing to your SD Card via the Home Folder, it should be mounted in /media/SDCARDNAME.

If you're still experiencing problems, I'd use XFE (you can get it here)

I had a lot of crashes with the standard filemanager, but XFE works perfect for me :)

Also, I have a more general questin about the pandora. say I run PSX4all or the other one, how do I QUIT this app, because so far all I've been able to do to get back to my desktop is reboot.

You can leave PSX4all with pressing ABXY+L+R while ingame.

You could try browsing to your SD Card via the Home Folder, it should be mounted in /media/SDCARDNAME.

If you're still experiencing problems, I'd use XFE (you can get it here)

I had a lot of crashes with the standard filemanager, but XFE works perfect for me :)

You can leave PSX4all with pressing ABXY+L+R while ingame.

Thanks for the assistance, I knew there would be some sort of keyboard shortcut to quit but I couldn't guess it ;)

about the SD card, I never formatted the 32GB when I got it and I just notice that in the file manager it has a garbeld name, all symbols instead of a proper filename, any ideas how to sort that without simply reformatting the SD card, or is that my only option? (and what I shoulda done in the first place ;)

Thanks again

Dave

While there may be a option without formatting I would strongly recommend formatting it as I have experienced problems with unformatted storage before...

Just copy the content onto your pc / laptop and do a full format (not the quick format) to be sure :)

Glad I could be of assistance!

Did you ever get an answer to this? My card is doing the same and a reformat doesn't seem to fix it

Did you ever get an answer to this? My card is doing the same and a reformat doesn't seem to fix it

Re-formatting the SD card worked a treat for me. Perhaps you should try playing with format options. Make sure it's formatted FAT32 too btw, but then I'm sure you knew that.

Whilst you probably got the problem sorted by a reformat, I just want to add that there is a way to fix SD cards that appear as random junk names under Thunar media/<junk> which randomly wont open or be accesible, as you describe.

I had this issue and others came to the rescue here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2325-solvedscan-disccheck-disc-tool-on-pandora/

you need to 'opkg update'

then 'opkg install dosfsck tools'

and then 'sudo dosfsck /dev/mmcblk0p1' if the card is left slot or 'mmcblk1p1' if the right slot.

Alternatively as Sebt3 and Wizardstan explained, you can use gparted but I think you still need dosfsck tools installed to do this and I think it only takes about 1-2mb of nand at max to install this. These should sort out such card issues and if not, then reformat. Always wise to use the Panasonic SD formatter on a fresh card if you are using windows though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got a windows PC to hand rename the SD card and it'll work fine

Back