Problems With Grub2

Spadoof

Website
Visit site
Dear Readers,

Just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my parents desktop. I noticed they implemented alot of new changes to this version, including Grub2. The Problem I am having with Grub2 is that due to a few kernel updates, the grub menu on their computer keeps getting bigger. What I am asking is, if their is a way to have the grub menu only show the latest kernel of linux, that way I don't have to keep editing the grub files to shorten the list. I have a program on my netbook (running easy peasy) called Start-up Manager which had the option of only showing the latest kernel. When I installed the program in ubuntu 9.10, it seems that they discarded this option. Your help is appriciated.

Thanks,
-Spadoof

are you able to downgrade to grub v1.5? I'm using that at the moment and find it very easy and stable to use. Also I guess check to see if Start Up Manager is in the 9.10 repos??

I'm not aware of any simple way to do what you're saying (which isn't to say that one doesn't exist, of course), but after booting the system with the new kernel and ensuring that everything works, why not just remove that older kernel from the system (via synaptic or whatever)? If you need it later for some specific hardware or something you can always reinstall it, but I've never needed to install an older kernel for anything (you're far more likely to want to compile a new one, if you have to mess with that).

Back