Problems with some Apps in store / repo

cp_clegg

Still Fresh
There seems to be a problem with some of the files on the OpenAppStore and the OpenHandhelds Pandora repo. Several files give a "file name error." when you attempt to download them. PCSX-ReARMed and Firefox 4 are a couple of examples of downloads that aren't working but there are others too. Anyone else seeing this problem?

I see what you mean on pandora apps, I'm looking at it now, probably a typo somewhere.

Edit:

This is interesting, it's certainly looks like an attack to attempt to knock over PandoraApps.

All the files are duplicated though and are not effected, but the 'dummy' front ones (which are essentially just the user comments) have been. I suppose I'll have to spend an hour or so working out how it was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would want to attack Pandora Apps? I can't really see milkshake doing it to promote his repo, and no external businesses would stand to gain anything by taking down the site.

Who would want to attack Pandora Apps? I can't really see milkshake doing it to promote his repo, and no external businesses would stand to gain anything by taking down the site.
Probably someone's munching on sour grapes because they can't afford a pandora... That's lame, hope it gets worked out.

Because they can, it was probably someone who has access to an account from which they can upload too looking at these logs, although it's probably more likely they just got the information from someone who has access to an upload account, possibly without revealing their true intentions.

I'll have to add in some extra layers of security to it today which is a shame, then copy the damaged files back across.

If you notice they have mostly messed up popular files, psx, mupen etc. which suggests some Pandora jealously.

It was only a matter of time I suppose...

I can do a little edit which will get the downloads working again, I might do that before I fully repair it.

Copying these comment/vote/screenshot files is going to take me ages so I'm waiting to see when Ed did the last backup, will be easier to revert to that, however I will get the downloads working today as it's a small fix.

There seems to be a problem with some of the files on the OpenAppStore and the OpenHandhelds Pandora repo. Several files give a "file name error." when you attempt to download them. PCSX-ReARMed and Firefox 4 are a couple of examples of downloads that aren't working but there are others too. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Can you let me know what isn't working on openhandhelds and I'll have a look at that too.

Can you let me know what isn't working on openhandhelds and I'll have a look at that too.

Pretty much the same things, but I also noticed that certain things don't even show up on openhandhelds at all. PCSXreARMed is not there, nor is Ginge or Firefox 4.

Can you link me to a file on openhandhelds which gives the error?

You will be able to download pcsx for all from pandora apps again now.

I'm away from home this weekend until tonight, so I couldn't check any mails or anything.

I've got a daily backup as well as a backup that's a few days old, I can check everything out tonight.

I'll see if I have problems on openhandhelds from my phone though, the only one able to delete from there is me, so it's a bit weird...

Okay, just checked and downloaded mupen from openhandhelds, no problem here.

I know Firefox 4 Beta never WAS on openhandhelds yet and I'm pretty sure neither pcsxrearmed nor ginge was ever uploaded there as well. notaz tends to not want releases outside of his webspace as long as his stuff is still considered alpha or beta, so he didn't upload it there.

Also, neither ginge nor pcsxrearmed are in the openhandhelds database NOR the as file on the server... someone would have to remove it from both, which is unlikely.

It just seems whoever tried to mess around did that only with apps.openpandora.org. Maybe it was accidentally? milkshake also had a bug which deleted all files on his repo a few weeks ago.

The server also wasn't attacked, I checked that already.

I can assure you from checking my data files that someone damaged pandora apps by submitting rubbish to an update script and I think I've stopped it from happening again.

Or have I? We shall see.

Hi Craig,

Give me a PM or email if you want to talk about web app security. I'm a computer security student so I might be able to help you out? At the very least, it looks like you might be vulnerable to some same origin issues =/

Hi Craig,

Give me a PM or email if you want to talk about web app security. I'm a computer security student so I might be able to help you out? At the very least, it looks like you might be vulnerable to some same origin issues =/
+1 You guys are stretched thin at the moment as it is. You should really get some rest.

Looks like I'll have to push 2.0 sooner than I'd planned.
I feel like by not consulting with the community devs who've made the popular Repo & PNDStore application, and insisting on doing everything yourself, you're putting competition ahead of collaboration and setting yourself up for an all-or-nothing venture. That is, either Pandora Apps 2.0 will succeed and you'll get all of the glory, or it will fail and you'll get all of the blame.

But do any of us care whether you get all of the glory or not? Is this important for the community? I think it's not, I think what's important for US is that we get a quality product that works. So your refusal to engage in any way with the devs who've already built a successful system, and your eagerness to make everything they've done redundant, seems to not be in the community's interest, only promoting ego and further needless splits.

Have you consulted any devs about what they'd like to see in Pandora Apps 2.0? Or is this going to be another site that you'll have to pay someone to keep updated, because devs won't want to use it of their own free will?

P.S. Just be clear, I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking what I understand about your ideas. Perhaps my understanding is wrong, in which case I would welcome enlightenment.

Looks like I'll have to push 2.0 sooner than I'd planned.
I feel like by not consulting with the community devs who've made the popular Repo & PNDStore application, and insisting on doing everything yourself, you're putting competition ahead of collaboration and setting yourself up for an all-or-nothing venture. That is, either Pandora Apps 2.0 will succeed and you'll get all of the glory, or it will fail and you'll get all of the blame.

But do any of us care whether you get all of the glory or not? Is this important for the community? I think it's not, I think what's important for US is that we get a quality product that works. So your refusal to engage in any way with the devs who've already built a successful system, and your eagerness to make everything they've done redundant, seems to not be in the community's interest, only promoting ego and further needless splits.

Have you consulted any devs about what they'd like to see in Pandora Apps 2.0? Or is this going to be another site that you'll have to pay someone to keep updated, because devs won't want to use it of their own free will?

P.S. Just be clear, I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking what I understand about your ideas. Perhaps my understanding is wrong, in which case I would welcome enlightenment.

What on earth are you talking about? Pandora apps has been around since 2009. Just because since then people have decided to make other repos does not make me some kind of bad guy for daring to want to support the original repo, which I know I will develop for the length of the Pandora1/2/3/4 etc. project.

We had the 'what do you want' thread back on gp32x, I have put in all the features the Pandora users wanted. No doubt I'll do another round of that in the future.

I don't get in to the lengthy format arguments, I just get things working and done. It works. It has had tens of thousands of downloads. The man in the street just wants quick and easy access to downloads, which is what it provides. It is the only archive which contains all Pandora software (over 400 apps I think).

2.0 will allow anyone to upload too, not just PNDs but also backgrounds, pdf, manuals etc.

I've also just been linked to a thread at the other place were seb3 is saying this 'hacking attempt' is bullshit from me.

Why would I make something like that up? Do you think I just have time to sit about making work for myself like that? Is he suggesting an amazing coincidence made all the popular apps get corrupted via the only (not public) script to have access to write to them?

Craig, you're a pretty easy target for criticism for a lot of reasons. Some of those are the same reasons that we have a Pandora in the first place. At the very least, you (and the rest of the team) deserve credit for not giving up on what has become a fierce uphill battle. Just imagine how much praise you might have received had everything gone smoothly and you were already working on designs for the Pandora successor.

That said, everyone has Internet Muscles which makes it very easy to post an opposing view in a sometimes less-than-diplomatic manner. This is my biggest complaint about the community surrounding the Pandora. I wish people would take a deep breath before they post sometimes and consider the overall ramifications of their words. I think the never-ending Premium threads are a good example of what I'm on about. Discussion is a totally different animal from screaming with one's keyboard.

I do wish more of the silent majority would post from time to time to say that they're satisfied customers. At least that would balance out the vocal minority and give perspective to potential future customers. As it stands, reading the forums would give me a negative opinion of the device as a whole if I did not know better. And being a satisfied customer with a flawless Pandora, that's a shame.

The sad thing is: as I see it, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So since you're in the same boat no matter what, just do what you know is best for the project. Make your app store as you see fit, and make it to the best of your ability.

Back