Problems With Some Emulators

MattBlaah

Still Fresh
Hello all, im new here so sorry for the stupid questions.

Ive recently got a gp2x and have installed the snes and megadrive emulators and they are workng fine. But I am having a proplem with mame and neo geo. Ive got the emulators running but when i choose roms they wont work, mame says files needed missing. Ive followed all the read me instuctions, can anyoen help?

What version of Firmware are you running?
I've heard there's problems in 4.02 with compatibility, try upgrading.

Are you using ROM's that are supported by MAME and NeoGeo?

PlopperZ said:

I actually think it said its firmware v2. Like i say, im new to this. What firmware shouldi get and where should i get it?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
MattBlaah said:
PlopperZ said:

I actually think it said its firmware v2. Like i say, im new to this. What firmware shouldi get and where should i get it?

Thanks.

Do you have an F100 or F200 (is it white or black)?
You can get new firmwares from the Archive.

If you have an F100 (black) it's best to stick with v2.1.1, if you have an F200(A) you should keep v4.0.0, and if you have an F200(B ) go with v4.1.1.

It's confusing, I know.
EDIT:Stupid BBcode.
EDIT2:The more I think of it, the more it sounds like you are just using unsupported ROM's

PlopperZ said:
MattBlaah said:
PlopperZ said:

Thanks.

Do you have an F100 or F200 (is it white or black)?
You can get new firmwares from the Archive.

If you have an F100 (black) it's best to stick with v2.1.1, if you have an F200(A) you should keep v4.0.0, and if you have an F200(B ) go with v4.1.1.

It's confusing, I know.
EDIT:Stupid BBcode.
EDIT2:The more I think of it, the more it sounds like you are just using unsupported ROM's

I have the F100. Yes I think it could be the roms themselves as the emulators seem fine. Ive been using pantsemulation.com. Can you reccomend me a site to get some or is that not allowed?

MAME almost certainly doesn't work because it uses ROMS back from version .39 or so. You may have to go hunting around for older versions of roms that work with the older version of the MAME interpreter.

(MAME roms are generally neither forward nor backward compatible)

This i what happens when I try to load a Mame rom. It starts loading the files on the black screen with white writing then thi comes up..

072-s02.16c NOT FOUND
072-t01.17c NOT FOUND
072-213.13c NOT FOUND
072-212.15c NOT FOUND

ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

Any ideas?

I feel your pain. Finding Mame and NeoGeo roms is difficult, because there are so many different versions of them out there and you can't just ask for the info on most forums. I even downloaded Mame + roms package for GP2X, from the GP2X site we don't mention, and most of the roms don't work. Same goes for several of the ready-made packages I grabbed (FBA, CPS2). I gave up. Seems you either "just know" wtf is going on or you don't. :(

I do have a small collection of good roms for NeoGeo & CPS2, but finding ones that worked took a lot of trial and error.

There are sets out there already but finding them is a pain as mentioned it can't really be discussed in forums. The best thing to do is use clrmame to rebuild your sets to that version of emu and for the rest like mame is to look for mame rollback to fill in the missing that can't be built from the current roms.

MattBlaah said:
This i what happens when I try to load a Mame rom. It starts loading the files on the black screen with white writing then thi comes up..
072-s02.16c NOT FOUND
072-t01.17c NOT FOUND
072-213.13c NOT FOUND
072-212.15c NOT FOUND
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.
Any ideas?
from readme.txt:
<-
Please use "clrmame.dat" file to convert romsets from other MAME versions to the ones used by
this version for GP2X, using ClrMAME Pro utility, available in next webpage:

http://www.clrmame.com/
->

If you are missing some data, google it and you'll find it strewn on the web. Some recommend torrents, but they are all easy to find. It is harder putting them together into a working mame4all set. It took me several weeks.

Trevor Bradley said:
MAME almost certainly doesn't work because it uses ROMS back from version .39 or so. You may have to go hunting around for older versions of roms that work with the older version of the MAME interpreter.

(MAME roms are generally neither forward nor backward compatible)
from readme.txt:
<-
It is a port of MAME 0.37b5 emulator by Nicola Salmoria for GP2X portable console.
->

Gruso said:
Seems you either "just know" wtf is going on or you don't. :(
I have been collecting for over 10 years. I don't envy you guys trying to get this to work. Been there done that. Even with all the data I have I still have to scrounge through old backup CDs to make stuff work.

Thanks for the help guys but still no luck. I kinda gave up for now and have moved onto trying to get race for the neogeo pocket to work, and againi have failed. Theres not much to th read me but ive put it all in the same folde ron my sd card and put the roms there too, when i load it up i get an error screen saying 'xxx ERROR xxx ERROR: Cannot access to directory.

What have i dont wrong?

MattBlaah said:
Thanks for the help guys but still no luck. I kinda gave up for now and have moved onto trying to get race for the neogeo pocket to work, and againi have failed. Theres not much to th read me but ive put it all in the same folde ron my sd card and put the roms there too, when i load it up i get an error screen saying 'xxx ERROR xxx ERROR: Cannot access to directory.

What have i dont wrong?
RACE with selector wants the roms to be in /roms/ngpc on your SD (the /mnt/sd is the root of the SD card so ignore that); the app can be anywhere else. If you edit the file be sure to save it as a UNIX file only. Also, rename intro.wav to get rid of the annoying sound

bman said:
MattBlaah said:

What have i dont wrong?
RACE with selector wants the roms to be in /roms/ngpc on your SD (the /mnt/sd is the root of the SD card so ignore that); the app can be anywhere else. If you edit the file be sure to save it as a UNIX file only. Also, rename intro.wav to get rid of the annoying sound

Thanks, right im getting there but one more problem. So i followed your advice and now it bring sup the list of roms but when i select one it bring sup the loading screen with the annoying sound and then goes back tothe gp2xs menu. What have i done wrong this time? Sorry again for the stupid questions.

MattBlaah said:
Thanks, right im getting there but one more problem. So i followed your advice and now it bring sup the list of roms but when i select one it bring sup the loading screen with the annoying sound and then goes back tothe gp2xs menu. What have i done wrong this time? Sorry again for the stupid questions.
RACE expect short filenames, less than 32 characters including extension. Do not use zipped files.

Use the search engine on this board. Most issues have been covered a few times. Ask more questions when the search and readme data isn't enough. You'll still get help if some of this stuff is too much to deal with.

I'll just quote myself from a recent similar thread for RACE!:
Manjuu said:
For RACE!, you can install the "RACE" folder anywhere, but you have to place your ROMs in "sd/roms/ngpc".

The ROMs have to unzipped, and their filenames must be shorter than 32 characters (including the file extension). Also, make sure you don't have more than 254 files in the folder.

If done correctly, you should be able to boot RACE! and enter the file selector. You should see your ROMs, and after selecting a ROM, it should load it successfully.

Back