Full Speed Emulators.

Nachician

Still Fresh
I have searched a lot about this topic but I couldn't get a lot of results. The search function in the Invision Boards suck. What are the emulators that run most games(let's say... 90% ?) at full speed?. I saw that Megadrive is already perfectly(or almost perfectly) emulated. About SNES, I found a lot of mixed information. Some say it doesn't go very well, but other game do, I don't really know about that. And I thought GBA was also perfectly emulated, but it seems not, I saw in a lot of pages some games are fully playable and some games are not. I am mostly interested in knowing if those three systems are well emulated. What about MAME/Neo Geo/Neo Geo CD?

I have also got to mention that I do not yet own the gp2x, but if the answers to these questions are positive I'll get one.

I would love to play games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Kirby, Golden Sun, Pokemon, and all the classics that made the GBA, SNES, and Megadrive rock, but I don't want them to work slowly or to have bad sound.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Personally: fullspeed doesnt matter. If the auroframeskip works fine, you wont notice the difference. SNES and GBA both have a good autoframeskip, and so, even though they run at %20 and %40 for me at 200MHz, they're still perfectly fine. I can play GB,GBA,NES,SNES,SMS,GG,Genesis all at fullspeed

I have no problem to playing MY favorites games of:
Neogeo, MSX (yeay!), SNES, NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Genesis, PCengine (I don't know how can run pe engine emulator on a full-screened, though)

Well, one or two favorites may do not run, but I cannot remember exact title while I have plenty of others :p

Megadrive,SMS/GG,Nes,Atari2600,NeoGeo are full-speed without any overclocking necessary for me.For Snes ; while some games run perfectly ; some of them need overclocking; and for GBA ; with a automatic (max) fs of 1-3 (changer according to game) every game I played is at best perfect and at least very playable.The only games I couldn't get decent performance were 3d racing games ; and Sword of Mana :( .I prefer to play racing games on Megadrive and Gbc :rolleyes: .Since Nintendo systems are best for RPG's imo not much a problem though.
There is also NGPC emulator Race which also need to run very well ; which I never could get it to start :unsure: , but since I never experienced it...
The games you mentioned run great ; but Kirby games on Snes are problematic ; Kirby SS don't even start for me ; and DL3 has graphical problems. But in Gba and Nes Kirby games run almost excellent

It depends on games. GBA emulation is definitely not fullspeed for most games. SNES is fullspeed for games which do not use fancy effects. For example, Street fighter and Mario are fullspeed (I think), F-Zero is not fullspeed. Megadrive, neogeo, and basically all other non-3d consoles are emulated fullspeed.

I don't agree that fullspeed does not matter. Scrollings are painfull to the eyes if you use frameskip. But it seems to depend a lot on people. Some don't care, some do.

The SNES emulators run on the slow side for me, but a lot of games get up to full speed. The Gameboy emulator, while kind of unfriendly, runs about full speed. NES is flawless, and Genesis gets closer to flawless with every release of Picodrive. Yay Pulseman!

I haven't tried the GBA emulator, and I just take everyone else's word for MAME and such, since I haven't exhausted the fun with old Genesis games yet. Honestly, GP2X would be worth the buy for me if it couldn't run anything except Picodrive on it, and there's plenty more that runs very well. If you want SNES stuff, just try out different games with different emulators, and most everything should be playable.

As it is said, many games in SNES runs perfectly and fullspeed at 200MHz (the standard clock frequency). Unfortunately, some of them have problems: no sound, no fullspeed even at 260MHz or not working at all. I think that most SNES are fully playable, but it depends on your game and there are hundreds of SNES games out there...

The same goes for GBA. Although there are few of them at fullspeed, the automatic frame drop works great and I cannot sense the difference with fullspeed: Baldur's Gate, Dragon Ball Adventure, Fire Emblem... perfectly and smoothly working at 200MHz.

Games of your list that i have tested:
* Chrono Trigger: fullspeed with sound in DrPocketSNES
* Kirby: d'you mean Kirby Super Star for the SNES? No way, sorry. Kirby for NES does great, thought
* Pokemon: Pokemon for the GB, GBC or GBA (Esmerald) run great. Sound in Pokemon Esmerald (GBA) could be better, thought.
* Megadrive, NES, GB, Neogeo and Capcom run at fullspeed.
* Not every MAME game works, only the one thousand older ones (they are a lot, but MAME for PC runs about three thousand games) Fortunately, many classics run Ok: Galaga, Tetris, Tumble Pop, Snow Brothers, Final Fight, King of Dragons, Toki... Anyway, there are dedicated emulators for Capcom (Street Fighter series) and Neogeo (Metal Slug series) that run many games that Gp2x-Mame can't.

Not to bring up an old argument but there's a difference between speed and frames rendered. Since you said you don't want to have them work slowly or with bad sound then you're referring to speed, and are not demanding zero frameskip. As far as I'm aware most SNES games that don't have special chips will be able to achieve fullspeed most of the time with frameskip. GBA is similar, although right now games that access VRAM (3D games) or modify code a lot (games by Camelot) will probably crawl. And it depends on how much you can overclock too.

SNES games can achieve fullspeed with frameskip. The thing is some games skip so many frames that they are pretty unplayable. Frameskip 1 looks OK and only looks a bit framey on fast moving titles. Frameskip 2 and more and the game is a choppy mess.

DaveC said:
SNES games can achieve fullspeed with frameskip. The thing is some games skip so many frames that they are pretty unplayable. Frameskip 1 looks OK and only looks a bit framey on fast moving titles. Frameskip 2 and more and the game is a choppy mess.
i used to notice this choppiness whilst playing mario if you jumped in the air it would be very jerky and out of sync, this was on an old emulator though, they have been updated many times since then.
im also sure it could have been cured by messing with the settings (lots of options to tweak) i just didnt have the patience at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was talking about FPS, seems that I won't be able to play Chrono Trigger as I wanted to...

Okay, now "fps" enters the conversation. The problem is that people have been told for years that they need higher and higher fps on their 3D games. Only these aren't 3D games. When something changes it's usually pretty localized or a simple fullscreen changed (ie, scrolling). When something in a 3D game changes the whole screen significantly changes. 2D games are more tolerant of frame skip (or so I believe having played SNES/GBA/whatever emulation with it vs PS1 emulation with it)

Exophase said:
Okay, now "fps" enters the conversation. The problem is that people have been told for years that they need higher and higher fps on their 3D games. Only these aren't 3D games. When something changes it's usually pretty localized or a simple fullscreen changed (ie, scrolling). When something in a 3D game changes the whole screen significantly changes. 2D games are more tolerant of frame skip (or so I believe having played SNES/GBA/whatever emulation with it vs PS1 emulation with it)
I would have to dissagree here. When a 2D screen scrolls you notice the choppiness alot. Try playing a scrolling shooter with a high FS, it looks very bad. Screen update is screen update, 2D or 3D, and high FS is noticeable and just as bad on both to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back