Production Reassurance

Dan Pora

Still Fresh
Having watched this video on Youtube, someone commented on the use of ESD equipment during production. I share the same concern. I noticed the ESD mats in use, but see no evidence of ESD wrist bands connected to the mats or the ESD mats grounded to earth. Damage by static electricity can greatly reduce the life of an electronic device.

I don't know if I've embedded the video correctly so here is the url just in case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6PmiurY68M&playnext=1&videos=yKGbA9TD0WA

Edit: I didn't embed the video correctly!!

Speccy Geek said:
Damage by static electricity can greatly reduce the life of an electronic device.

I thought static could zap a chip, I was not aware that it can damage a chip and reduce its overall life ?

I am no expert though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert either, but you notice they wear t-shirts and their arms touch the grounded mat as well from time to time, so no static charge can build up when they are sitting there.

A day in the life of the British Console manufacturing industry

Is it an industry if there's only one company doing it?

We're talking british climate here. Static buildup never has a chance.

I agree here. All the neccessary precautions are being taken to minimize static discharge.
I don't see a problem in the video at all.
I do have my Pandora and all is good. Rest assured... these guys building starting with a huge learning curve but they had MWeston to guide them and the build quality is so much better with each passing batch they ship

I'd just like to jolly well pip in here that at 7 seconds in the the video you can clearly see the ground cables coming down from the table. Did you even look? Or did you just start this shit out of boredom?

Nova said:
A day in the life of the British Console manufacturing industry

Is it an industry if there's only one company doing it?

in·dus·try
1. Commercial production and sale of goods.

In this case it's a cottage industry.

That's a nice crystal goblet, by the way.

craigix said:
I'd just like to jolly well pip in here that at 7 seconds in the the video you can clearly see the ground tables coming down from the cable. Did you even look? Or did you just start this shit out of boredom?

I think Boredom is the thing... my idea....
lets ship all the naysayers, and trollers Canoo's instead of the Pandoras...and charge them the PANDORA PRICE.

We can post on the packaging.. "You want it now, you got it!"

Not boredom, just a concerned customer who wants some reassurance that when my Pandora is eventually built, it will be built to the highest standards possible. It's not a criticism, I'm merely taking the opportunity to assist the team in putting something right before production ramps up (or before my Pandora is assembled) ;)

So, to continue, thanks for your reply Craig. I now see a ground cable which I assume is plugged in to an earth bonding plug.

I will also make the assumption that each of the mats either connects to it's own earth or the mats interconnect to a single earth.

I would still like to see each of the assemblers wearing a wrist strap, that either connects to his mat or connects to a central earth.

Also, I think I'd prefer a Caanoo to a Canoo as I'm not a very strong swimmer, but would prefer a Pandora.

Edit: Typo

I'm all for grounded wrist straps.

Schaukampf-Axt-MS2991.jpg

Speccy Geek said:
Not boredom, just a concerned customer who wants some reassurance that when my Pandora is eventually built, it will be built to the highest standards possible.
Sorry, they don't have a clean-room available.

Alibobar said:
Speccy Geek said:
Not boredom, just a concerned customer who wants some reassurance that when my Pandora is eventually built, it will be built to the highest standards possible.
Sorry, they don't have a clean-room available.

I'm not asking for a clean room. Would you prefer I'd said highest standards possible for the OP team?

Antistatic kits are readily available.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=12497

Well I've made my point. I'm not getting any sensible responses here. I can only hope that Craig takes this onboard as it's just one point that may have a long term positive impact on the product.

Of course they are grounded and we have wrist straps. This has been said many times before.

Also I'm going to see if I can find my *footage* of GPHs assembly facility as I think some people need a reality check.

Back