Production Reassurance

SomeGuy99 said:
Boy, this thread is pretty charged.

DaMummy said:
looks like this thread needs a static discharge...

Nah I think Craig has cleared the air with some well placed sparks from atop Mount Olympus (his roof and sentry point of Pandorian overseer goodness)! :lol:

That was such a cool video at the time, so thanks for reposting it and rest assured your Pandora will be quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
Statis Discharge, Shmatic Dishsmarge. If it doesn't work - then send the bugger back and they will replace/fix it.

Goddamn it, you'd think people have nothing better to do than moan moan moan. Aaand another thing...etcetera etcetera.

Miner49er said:
Statis Discharge, Shmatic Dishsmarge. If it doesn't work - then send the bugger back and they will replace/fix it.

Goddamn it, you'd think people have nothing better to do than moan moan moan. Aaand another thing...etcetera etcetera.

It costs the team and the customer when a replacement has to be sent out and broken unit sent back. Thus it's more cost effective to eliminate static discharge from the manufacturing. However, it doesn't matter since Craig has already stated that grounders were used.

What I'm saying is don't be a dick to the members who are concerned about the wellbeing of their £300/$500 units (whether or not they have reason to, in this case not) - consider this a first warning.

ndbsolar said:
Miner49er said:
Nova said:
consider this a first warning.

A first warning of what? Geez, you're all very touchy here lately...
Nova has always been the grumpy kind...

Oh well, I won't push it any further!

I notice, you're from Wiltshire. Very close to Bristol, We'll have to meet up once we're both fully-fledged Pandorians! (I.E. we actually have the things in our possesion!)

Miner49er said:
ndbsolar said:
Miner49er said:
Nova said:

Oh well, I won't push it any further!

I notice, you're from Wiltshire. Very close to Bristol, We'll have to meet up once we're both fully-fledged Pandorians! (I.E. we actually have the things in our possesion!)
Yeah, I goto Bristol often, and I know there are several people from Bristol on the boards. Lets just hope we get ours first. I would hate to goto a meetup and be the only one without a Pandora :p

ndbsolar said:
Miner49er said:
Nova said:

It's that time of the month ;)

But seriously, I'll be the first to admit I am probably the most immature mod, but I am trying to do well by you guys, and if that means nipping these kind of things in the bud before they turn into a flamewar, its what I have to do. I just wanna give you guys a pleasant environment where you all can freely exchange views.

Speccy Geek said:
Damage by static electricity can greatly reduce the life of an electronic device.

I'm not asking for a clean room. Would you prefer I'd said highest standards possible for the OP team?

Antistatic kits are readily available.

http://www.maplin.co...px?MenuNo=12497

Well I've made my point. I'm not getting any sensible responses here. I can only hope that Craig takes this onboard as it's just one point that may have a long term positive impact on the product.

I'm 99.999999% sure that static will either kill an ESD/IC or it wont. It breaks or it doesn't, there is no reduction in life. See here: http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/pkginfo/ch_06.pdf

Also, modern ICs are very resilient to static, with reverse-biased clamping diodes to protect against static and over voltage. Of course precautions should be taken, but the risks are low. I see no problem with not using wrist straps. Where are you expecting them to actually pick up charge, since they are sitting in the same place, with grounded desks and mats? You need to pick up that charge from somewhere!

The team must be getting quite frustrated that their openness in sharing videos like this causes self-proclaimed experts to panic, suggest the team are unprofessional, and inspire panic in others, when they are clearly taking every necessary precaution and doing a great job. I appreciate you're concern, and I'm not trying to flame you... but these guys know what they are doing, they have a lot more than any of us invested in this, and therefore aren't going to make blatantly obvious mistakes that a layman could spot. Think about it... you're actually suggesting that you know better than MWeston how to static protect the boards he designed. I fully understand the upset about delays, and the other problems (even though neither us nor the team could have foreseen or prevented them, but let's not get into that), but this is really uncalled for, and could potentially damage the image of the company, project, and community. Don't do it!

Nova said:
It costs the team and the customer when a replacement has to be sent out and broken unit sent back. Thus it's more cost effective to eliminate static discharge from the manufacturing. However, it doesn't matter since Craig has already stated that grounders were used.

What I'm saying is don't be a dick to the members who are concerned about the wellbeing of their £300/$500 units (whether or not they have reason to, in this case not) - consider this a first warning.

It's that time of the month

But seriously, I'll be the first to admit I am probably the most immature mod, but I am trying to do well by you guys, and if that means nipping these kind of things in the bud before they turn into a flamewar, its what I have to do. I just wanna give you guys a pleasant environment where you all can freely exchange views.

Ooooooo... I guess I really should have read the rest of the thread before replying...

Consider this post equivalent to me holding up a white flag... didn't mean to step on toes

Back