Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright, for the Nintendo 3DS

Prometheus

Adding yet another game to my already quite lengthy list of early must-buys for the Nintendo 3DS, yesterday Level 5 and Capcom announced a crossover game - Layton Kyouju VS Gyakuten Saiban, which if I were to guess at its name if it were to be localised, would probably be Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright.

The trailer is here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJpjP67sYb8

A version with English subtitles is viewable here.

The premise of the game is that a mysterious "Story Teller", whose writings appear to become reality, has brought together Professor Layton and his apprentice Luke Triton, and Phoenix Wright and his assistant Maya Fey, in a strange, medieval-style setting. It seems from the trailer that the two duos must solve a mystery relating to a girl who stands accused of witchcraft, and that the spirit of both series is very much present.

I must say that I'm quite pleased to see Phoenix back as a lawyer - whilst Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (the fourth game in that series, which followed on from three games starring Phoenix Wright and a mostly entirely different cast of characters) was not a bad game, I never felt that its cast had the charm of that of the Phoenix Wright trilogy. Going on the fact that there has yet to be a second Apollo title, and the fact that Phoenix is back in a starring role for this crossover, I'm going to guess that there may well have been other customers who felt the same way, too. :p

Is anyone else waiting for this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Although I haven't enjoyed Unwound Future as much as the first two Layton games, and I rarely (read: never, except open source handhelds) get new gaming hardware until it's been out for a year or two...

But what a great concept!

I haven't played any of the Phoenix Wright games, but holy crap that looks awesome!

If you haven't played them, you absolutely need to. :p The first Phoenix Wright title is excellent (and stands completely on its own), so definitely do track down that one if you can.

I can't recommend starting with the second or third games though (Justice for All, and Trials and Tribulations, respectively), because both have a near-illiterate level of English localisation, which at many points either makes them a bit of a pain to understand or completely ruins the intended effect of key moments (additionally, Capcom USA claimed that the third one's localisation would be fixed over what was present in the bilingual Japanese release, but there was actually no fixing done). They are worth playing, but only if you enjoy the first one and are prepared to deal with the sequels' very poor level of spelling and grammar. :p

Wow, the best crossover since sonic and mario at the olympic games... oh wait that was s**t :p

At least the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series actually make a modicum of sense together in the context of a crossover. :lol:

Back