GP2X Programming

Snagzy

Still Fresh
Hey all ^^

Is it hard to learn to code software etc? or are there any tutorials on basic scripting? I'm nearly able to afford my GP2x... Work is a blessing SOMETIMES. - And I'd like to learn how to create programs for it etc.

Thanks,

Snagzy

imho you should start with development on your local PC first of all, long before you start programming for a portable device.

The advantage of programming for your PC is that its very, very well documented with plenty of tutorials, you have your pick of almost any programming language, and the debugger will be fully functional.

Programming is one of the hardest, most stressful things you can do; but the rewards are absolutely great :) Expect a stream of complaining users because X doesn't work or Y needs to be added. But the shear enjoyment is quite often worth it. Surprisingly the best moments come from completing a single important function (or small chunk of code), the surge of happiness as you accomplish something so difficult, and so important, is truely great :)

Good luck!

I definitely recommend pygame for starting out, its really easy to learn and will serve you well for using other higher level languages such as flash and the like. Dealing with direct hardware coding such as ryleh's mini lib can be daunting at first, so learning how to blit, animate, and do the general game code and collision detection is invaluble.

*edit: Oh yeah, and the fact it doesn't need to be compiled means you can look at any existing pygame application to see how they went around doing things, which has helped me a ton. Also without much modification your program will work on every platform pygame as been ported to, so more people can play it :)

Programming is one of the hardest, most stressful things you can do; but the rewards are absolutely great smile.gif Expect a stream of complaining users because X doesn't work or Y needs to be added. But the shear enjoyment is quite often worth it. Surprisingly the best moments come from completing a single important function (or small chunk of code), the surge of happiness as you accomplish something so difficult, and so important, is truely great smile.gif

This is absolutely true.

For a long time all I did was develop things (web design, programming and graphics). I was seriously addicted to the feeling of accomplishment and seeing the end product. I didn't touch a game for a good 2 years or so. It was sick :p.

Anyways, good luck programming. Stick with it. Once you get the syntax under your belt, you will start to think in the language of whatever your coding in.

Excellent! Thanks for the help and support on this guys.. Well, it'll be a few weeks till I finally get my GP2x yet, so I guess I'll have to do my homework! :p

Goity posted on Dec 20 2005 at 11:51 PM said:
Try fenix, it's reasonably easy, multiplatform and will soon be ported to gp2x
by who? I haven't heard of this, but then again, i'm not on IRC much....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back