[project Ninja] Touchscreen, Or Not.

Do you think the PNinja needs a touchscreen ?

• Yeah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

well i really dont get how soldering 4! ping makes the development more complicated oO

and ppl will only put their greasy fingers on it if you let them do that :blink:

+ i dont know why we shouldnt use that supplier :huh:

Lots of touchscreen are SPI based, which means they can be included in *Any* microcontroller, regardless of whether they actually support them or not. SPI is just clock, data in, data out - amazingly simple.

If someone decides to put there fingers on the screen, you fix that by breaking there fingers - simple!

As for touchscreen power consumption, well, it's next to nothing. In order words, your not going to notice to the difference between with it and without it.

As for an analog stick, well, if it's done properly, it could work, but considering that the main aim for this console is emulation of machines that are 99% digital, I'd say we go for a digital one :) Analog is only worthwhile if your expecting new games, and I don't think we'll be getting any commercial games. Plus, don't forget, analog sticks need calibrating, and may need recalibrating over time - specially when the temperature changes by a large margin (eg. here in the uk it's 8c one day, and 24 the next!)

Dryer Lint posted on Jul 10 2005 at 10:52 AM said:
Well at if that's really true at I take back my "No"-vote. But $8 more seems awfully little to me. Are you sure about that?

Also, what about the power consumption?

And I'd still add an analogue stick instead of a dpad. Whoever said sticks are not suitable for classic games has obviously never used a Gamecube pad. :-D

analog sticks indeed ARE nor that good for digital system emulation (or system-with-digital-controller-emulation, whatever), because you have to move them a certain amount and for, say, track and field or how its called, you have to go back and forth again and again. Most analog sticks get loose by extreme usage, and are most likely not as easy to fix as the GP's D-Stick, which by the way is the most accurate input device I ever had (apart from very good PC mice, but that's off topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care that much if it has a touch screen or not... I won't be using its touch screen features most likely, so I'd rather not have it... but it's not a big deal if it does... but as far as the controls are concerned, it should have 2 shoulder buttons, a 4 button cluster on the right, a start and select somehwhere, and a D-pad. Definitely a D-pad like the one on nintendo controllers. That one always worked the best for me. I've grown to like the GP32's D-stick, but it's still a lot more sensitive than I was used to before, and it's not quite as precise as a d-pad. It's easier to screw up and hit a diagonal when you don't want to with it. if everybody really really wants an analog stick, go ahead and give it one... but make sure it has at the very least a d-stick like the GP32's also. I prefer a D-pad over everything else though.

My gripe with DPads are that only game-system d-pads (like the ones on handhelds and game console controllers) are actually usable. The ones for PC are CRAP! They press too easily, and you push diagonals too easily. However, with a d-stick, it's nearly impossible to get crap like that.

So I like the idea of a digital d-stick, like the gp32's. :D

The only problem I've had with fingerprints is on the PSP. The entire console is glossy, like the screen, and pressing the buttons and stuff gets the button area REALLY fingerprinty. Who was the genius that had THAT idea? :p

For the games on atari st for instance (lemmings, civilisation, carrier command) it would be cool. I dont like using joypad for lemmings, it's too fiddly imo.

Either that, or the option to snap on some kind of mini trackball (like on classic toshiba laptops) would be ideal (in fact I'd probably prefer that to the touchscreen). As long as there was a suitable port for a device of that nature on one of the sides of the handheld, then it could be added for people who want to play mouse games/use apps and people who dont wouldnt have to pay the extra (I gather an interface is cheaper than a touch screen).

i also prefer a d-stick, sure the diagonals are sometimes hard to hit on gp but that through a disign flaw wich dosnt have to happen on this handheld.

Is this just a very far fetched dream?

liek, how can a small team of men possibly manufacture a console?

its not that hard, once the shematics are done you can jsut contact a pcb company to make them, they even solder the components for you for some additional $$, for me it looks like the biggest problem right now (besides getting the specs/shematics) dont is finding a way to get a medium amoun of cases, small amount are madeable by yourself with a molding kit, but i doubt you get mire than 5 out of it a day, and when youre going to do preofessional moldeing the initial cost is kinda high.

Vimacs posted on Jul 10 2005 at 11:22 PM said:
its not that hard, once the shematics are done you can jsut contact a pcb company to make them, they even solder the components for you for some additional $$, for me it looks like the biggest problem right now (besides getting the specs/shematics) dont is finding a way to get a medium amoun of cases, small amount are madeable by yourself with a molding kit, but i doubt you get mire than 5 out of it a day, and when youre going to do preofessional moldeing the initial cost is kinda high.

I See.

Thanks.

hey in the other thread it was said that the touchscreen would be arround 8€ more when you buy 100. So look at the vote, there are almost hundred and if those people would buy this little thing( sure not all of them). Whats bad about a huge feature if its so cheap?

okay okay I am convinced. but only if it has a flip-cover like the zodiac out of the box...I'm just too lazy to buy a screen protector :>

Okay, just some informations directly from Mr. Mirko:

- A touchscreen MAY be used, he first has to look into it.
If it isn't too complicated and expensive, it certainly does look good :)

- A microphone may be added, as the processor has an A/D convertor, so
he just needs to included a cheap microphone on the board.

- D-Stick/Pad or Analog stick?
He hasn't thought much about this yet.
But AFAHK, D-Sticks/Pad are cheaper, more robust and more useful for
handhelds.
Analog sticks need a lot of testing to find a good one - and it certainly isn't as
stable.

Well, sad to say, at the moment, the project is doesn't progress, as he's still waiting for Samsung to reply him and tell him the costs...

iam was going to ask a pcb comp for prices, but i need the shematics first, when you could send them over i try my luck in getting a good deal.

EvilDragon posted on Jul 11 2005 at 11:21 PM said:
...Well, sad to say, at the moment, the project is doesn't progress, as he's still waiting for Samsung to reply him and tell him the costs...

Ok, how about just hypermodding GP32s then? Add a faster CPU (33-300 MHz), upgrade the RAM and find a way to use larger storage cards. It isn't as good as ninja specs but is probably easier and cheaper to hold us for the time being.

Back