Projects In Process

rackbox

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Would be nice to have a pinned topic about projects in process so we all know what to expect on the scene. Also some of us perhaps can contribute with whatever we can to these projects...

I know there is the news on the front page, but, really, its easier to search the forum.

I dont like the idea personally. I will never announce a project until its in a fully playable state and I have made atleast an alpha release of it. In that case you already know the project exists. Sometimes I wont announce until its 100% complete.

Announcing a project gets peoples hopes up and then if you take too long, run into snags, or just decide you want to do something else, you completly let down everyone who was counting on you to come through. You then have people asking you "when is it going to come out?" , "why isnt it done yet?" etc... etc...

Now if this was a little more specific, and about projects that _have_ already had a release, then I could see it working out. But if its about projects that are being worked on or designed, works in progress without an official release yet, etc...I would seriously advise against it.

i am kinda like the above, but I believe that we should ask people if they are making anything and if so, if they want it to be known
because betas are friends...

~Octavious

Some authors do like to announce a project a while in advance, so they can ask for help/advice or just get some general encouragement.

The pinned topic wouldnt force anybody to announce their future projects, so I dont understand why anyone would be against such a thing.

Oh, but I don't mean a list of projects in all stages.. Several of the projects mentioned here and on news are, however, not very intuitive to find. Be it a public beta or a final release. I don't care...

What I meant was, that a category with unfinished projects having something to either download or contribute to by others (and not to be nagged about not coming fast enough) would be great. At least I easily could see where we're going. In stead of reading all the forums through for projects.

Sometimes I don't know what I am looking for - or just want some inspiration or have the urge for news. In that case a "projects in process" could be nice.

I like opensource - so don't hide it ;-)

If you search in the general chat you will see that I already tried this and no one except alpha2 I think it was gave a crap. No one helped me out as I asked for info so yeah i wouldn't bother.

If someone wants to release details of what their working on then fair enough, but its really up to them. Should someone not want to release detail of something until its 100% complete then I have no complaints. Its nice to know what going on but unless I'm paying someone for work I don't expect progress reports. People working for free are working for free and arn't subject to deadlines etc. besides how annoying would it be to read someone was working on porting your fav game only to read later that for what ever reason they'd stopped and it wasn't going to be finished?

Personally I'm grateful that people are working on home brew GP stuff in the first place.

Back