Pronterface/Printrun - Build request

Hum. It seems I have a build running... preview1.png

But, because I have no 3D Printer, I cannot test at all.

And I think it will be tricky to package... I'll try put a beta PND in here so the lucky owners of 3D Printers can test and report...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to try Pronterace itself, I didn't really think I'd have to much trouble with it.. However what I was have issues with was Slic3r, which is a program that converts the STL model to G-Code which the printer understands.. What I was having trouble with was getting all the features of Slic3r working right. After compiling it runs some tests to see if the features of slic3r work properly and some of the tests are failing, I think it may be some math conversion issues, pehaps the difference between ARM and x86.. Skeinforge is another program that does similar task, but most people migrated to Slic3r.. Pronterface uses either Slic3r or Skeinforge to handle the model to G-code conversion.

Was Slic3r or Skeinforge built with this package? and did build correctly? 

Also I'd love to test it out. It  will have to be tomorrow before I get to it though.. 

No Slic3r nor Skeinforge for now. But from what you wrote I understand I may have to build it to. That willl delay the availability of the beta package (unless I do a fisrt beta without slic3r, and another one with it).

Slic3r seems to compile well, although it will give warning that the Perl version being too new on codeblocks and in slackware..it seems to recommend Perl 5.16 or older.. but it doesn't seem to be causing the issues with the failing tests after compiling, for one it works fine on other desktop distributions with 5.18 or newer.. I compiled it on my desktop without issues even though it threw the warnings.. Also I compiled it with Pandebian which runs Perl 5.14 and didn't throw any warnings, however it still failed the same tests after compiling. Which leads me to think there is some ARM vs X86 differences.. 

Skeinforge may be a solution too, However I've never used it on my 3D printer, but willing to give it a try. I also didn't really have too much time to dig through the code much..

I can't get too involved today with it, but Monday and/or Tuesday I could have time to test out that PND.. I can at least see if I can control my 3D Printer with it.. I should be able to manually move the motors and turn on and off the Fans, heated bed, extruder and such.

Skeinforge would probably slice to slow on the pandora.  It runs slow on current cpus.  Also anyone that tries this, make sure you have your interface board flashed to a linux compatible baud.  Marlin's default does not play nice.

So, I have a beta package ready.

Because wxPython and all Python lib is huge, I have created a Standalone wxPython PND, including a command line to use Python, NumPY, wxPython, etc... and I'll publish later a "how to" use the PND in your PND.

And then I have the Printrun PND. It use wxPython PND (it autofind and automount it). I have included skeinforge (because it's easy to include, just a bunch of python files), but I cannot test so I cannot say if it works!

I will publish wxPython on the repo (because it's a 200Mo+ PND!), and first beta of Printrun here (just the time for last couple of test and then try to upload it).

I'll try to compile Slic3r now.

Awesome!, I can test it out when it's available. 

Okay for the most part this works!

Some quick bug reports though..

had issues with skeinforge at first but noticed the default path for skeinforge in the External Commands section didn't jive with what was in the PND.

python skeinforge/skeinforge_application/skeinforge_utilities/skeinforge_craft.py $s

python skeinforge/skeinforge_application/skeinforge.py

//had to change to

python skeinforge_application/skeinforge_utilities/skeinforge_craft.py $s

python skeinforge_application/skeinforge.py

also to give the default user access to the USB port I had to add myself to the wheel group... maybe this can be done on first time PND run..  NVM looking at my CC unit it seems to already set the user to the wheel group.. so not needed

sudo usermod -aG wheel USERNAME

I'm also getting these odd errors in the console it seems to be setting the temperature correctly and such.. but seems to not be saving these files correctly:

Setting hotend temperature to 200.000000 degrees Celsius.
[ERROR] Saving failed for set last_temperature:[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/mnt/utmp/printrun/home/.pronsolerc~bak'
Setting bed temperature to 70.000000 degrees Celsius.
[ERROR] Saving failed for set last_bed_temperature:[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/mnt/utmp/printrun/home/.pronsolerc~bak'

But so far this works, I still need to configure this to my printer to make a viable print.. but it does work.. I can control every aspect of my printer manually.. I can even kick off a print, but I still need to configure the printer properly so it prints nothing good at the moment..

If you could get Slic3r to work properly that would be awesome as that seems to be what everyone likes using..

Edit: Also noticed settings don't hold after closing the program..

Thanks for testing :)

For skeinforge, maybe I can move it to the right location, so default config work?

About right permission on temp. file, I'm afraid thoses are side-effect of the Fat32 system. I have them to, but only when launching the PND on a Fat32 partition. From my ext2 parttion, I have no issues.

About the parameters, I have to check (more file permission issu?) Maybe be I'll have to dig a bit in the python file to not be too strict about permission...

For Slic3r, I have a compile (at least), but it do have 2 errors in tests (precision I suppose). Will have to look at this...

Code:
t/angles.t ........... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/angles.t ........... ok
t/arcs.t ............. Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/arcs.t ............. skipped: arcs are currently disabled
t/clean_polylines.t .. Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/clean_polylines.t .. ok
t/clipper.t .......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/clipper.t .......... ok
t/collinear.t ........ Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/collinear.t ........ ok
t/combineinfill.t .... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/combineinfill.t .... ok
t/cooling.t .......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/cooling.t .......... ok
t/custom_gcode.t ..... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/custom_gcode.t ..... ok
t/dynamic.t .......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/dynamic.t .......... skipped: variable-width paths are currently disabled
t/fill.t ............. Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/fill.t ............. ok
t/gcode.t ............ Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/gcode.t ............ ok
t/geometry.t ......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/geometry.t ......... ok
t/layers.t ........... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/layers.t ........... ok
t/loops.t ............ Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/loops.t ............ skipped: temporarily disabled
t/multi.t ............ Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/multi.t ............ ok
t/perimeters.t ....... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/perimeters.t ....... 6/6
#   Failed test 'no superfluous extra perimeters'
#   at t/perimeters.t line 168.
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 6.
t/perimeters.t ....... Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
Failed 1/6 subtests
t/polyclip.t ......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/polyclip.t ......... ok
t/print.t ............ Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/print.t ............ ok
t/retraction.t ....... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/retraction.t ....... ok
t/shells.t ........... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/shells.t ........... 9/12
#   Failed test 'no gaps in spiral vase (hollow model)'
#   at t/shells.t line 170.
#          got: '18'
#     expected: '0'
t/shells.t ........... 11/12 # Looks like you failed 1 test of 12.
t/shells.t ........... Dubious, test returned 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
Failed 1/12 subtests
t/skirt_brim.t ....... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/skirt_brim.t ....... ok
t/slice.t ............ Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/slice.t ............ skipped: temporarily disabled
t/support.t .......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/support.t .......... ok
t/svg.t .............. Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/svg.t .............. ok
t/threads.t .......... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/threads.t .......... ok
t/vibrationlimit.t ... Running Slic3r under Perl >= 5.16 is not supported nor recommended
t/vibrationlimit.t ... ok

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/perimeters.t     (Wstat: 256 Tests: 6 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  6
  Non-zero exit status: 1
t/shells.t         (Wstat: 256 Tests: 12 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  9
  Non-zero exit status: 1
Files=26, Tests=220, 823 wallclock secs ( 0.77 usr  0.13 sys + 808.86 cusr  4.36 csys = 814.12 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Some tests failed. Please report the failure to the author!

TrashyMG, I know this is a bit off topic, but which 3d printer do you have, what is your experience of it, and what do you use it for ? :)
Printerbot Jr V2.. Well it's my first 3D printer so I came into it without knowing what to expect.. Once I figured out how to get good prints I've been very pleased with it.. It can make prints as good as the ones double or triple the price, but needs a tad more tweaking.. 

Well the first thing I wanted to make was a functional iControlpad clamp which I say I did a fairly good job of: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:226482

I'm a electronics hobbyist too so I'd like to make some custom enclosures and such. I know I'll think of something else to make as well..

Thanks for the answer :)

How would you rate the "value" of having a 3d printer as a hobbyist ? Is it worth the money ? Would you buy it again if you knew what to expect ? 

I'd say it's worth it, for one the printer I bought was fairly cheap.. less then the average price of buying a new desktop computer. secondly I love the fact that I can put ideas that are floating around in my head to a design where I can actually materialize it to something solid.  Well if I had to do it again, I'd prob save up for one with a slightly larger bed.. the printrbot that has an 8"x8" bed was only $200 more..

I'd say it's worth it, for one the printer I bought was fairly cheap.. less then the average price of buying a new desktop computer. secondly I love the fact that I can put ideas that are floating around in my head to a design where I can actually materialize it to something solid.  Well if I had to do it again, I'd prob save up for one with a slightly larger bed.. the printrbot that has an 8"x8" bed was only $200 more..
Did you do some 3D modeling before getting a 3D printer ? If not, was it hard to pick it up ? 

How about noise/smell/duration of prints ? Are they all acceptable ? Any frustration ? 

Did you do some 3D modeling before getting a 3D printer ? If not, was it hard to pick it up ? 
Not really, I used to tinker with 3D studio max 10 years ago or so..  while waiting for the Printer to be delivered I played with a few different ones like Freecad, Autodesk 123d and then I found tinkercad which looks like a too simplistic modeler at first, but man it's powerful yet simple to use. I built that icontolpad clamp after only a few hours getting used to it. 

How about noise/smell/duration of prints ?

Noise isn't bad, the motors do make some sounds but it isn't bad.

I don't notice any overwhelming odor when printing with either ABS or PLA, PLA is a corn based thermoplastic so it actually smells a little sweat when it prints, ABS has more of the traditional plastic smell.. but it's not overwhelming even if your right near the printer.

As for duration it can take sometime depending on the size to print something.. but it's something I can live with.. I did live in a throughout the dialup era of internet and I know about waiting for things..

Any frustration ?
Well in the process of learning the machine, I've had numerous filament feeding issues, bed leveling issues, always tweaking with temperature, infill settings and such.. comes with learning new things.. but I finally got a hold of it.

About right permission on temp. file, I'm afraid thoses are side-effect of the Fat32 system. I have them to, but only when launching the PND on a Fat32 partition. From my ext2 parttion, I have no issues. About the parameters, I have to check (more file permission issu?) Maybe be I'll have to dig a bit in the python file to not be too strict about permission...
I can confirm this, I moved it to an ext2 formatted SD card and all the saves and error messages disappear.. I'll have to see about setting up my printer properly and trying a real print.

Ok, thanks for confirmation.

I'm having SDCard problem right now, but I'll have a replacement tomorrow if all goes as planned, so I haven't been able to work on this yet... I'll try to have a new version of the Printrun PND for this weekend.

Not sure if it's fixed in your new PND, but noticed that the skeinforge configuration menu doesn't pop-up, so I can't make any settings changes.. It's normally accessed by going to slicer setting under the settings drop down (but I believe it just calls skeinforge.py).. 

However I DID have a successful print by slicing the model file on my desktop with Slic3r and copying over the gcode.. Perhaps the first 3D print done by an OpenPandora? who knows.. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vP17Q3VGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vP17Q3VGc

Back