Pseudo-bricked Gp2x

gamkiller

Still Fresh
Yesterday I tried upgrading fw 1.0.1 to 2.1.

The first thing I noticed was that no upgrade screen popped up. It loaded the old system, and I had a look in the utilities window and I saw a patchscript there and ran it.

After having the patch-logo apppear and vanish, I finally turned off the gp2x about an hour after it had been displaying the "completed. please wait"-screen.

After a restart, it wouldn't load up. it always freezes on the yellow gp2x 1.0.1fw screen (after the grey logo)

I later got informed that I had to update from 1.0.1 to 2.0 in order to go to 2.1.
I tried to do this, but nothing changed. Same yellow logo showing v1.0.1 on the bottom.

So I tried 1.0.1->1.4 upgrade. Same thing there.
I tried everything suggested on
http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/2005/11/...cked-gp2xs.html

to no avail. It doesn't seem to matter what I do with the SD; nothing changes.

I'm running my gp2x off a Farnell stabilised power supply, so power cannot be a problem.
I'm using a "compatible" SanDisk Ultra II 512Mb SD-card.

What on earth is wrong? Why can't I unbrick my gp2x? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You say you've tried upgrading to 2.0 and 1.4 first, but did either of those actually work? 1.0 doesn't require you to press start+select to upgrade, so if you're not seeing any firmware updating screens at all then it seems that your sd might not be compatible with the old u-boot. If you're lucky then it might work if you format it differently, otherwise start hunting round for sd cards to borrow.

You say you've tried upgrading to 2.0 and 1.4 first, but did either of those actually work? 1.0 doesn't require you to press start+select to upgrade, so if you're not seeing any firmware updating screens at all then it seems that your sd might not be compatible with the old u-boot. If you're lucky then it might work if you format it differently, otherwise start hunting round for sd cards to borrow.

None of the upgrades did anything. Ie, I formatted the card, placed the files in the root directory and turned on the gp2x, and nothing happened. No upgrade logo or anything. Just the grey logo and then the yellow fw 1.0.1 screen. Every time I tried it, I tried once without start+select and once with. No difference.
I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.0.1 a long time ago using this card, and it is according to the wiki "compatible".

Last edited by a moderator:
try to flash your old firmware 1.0 or 1.0.1 if it works use robsters flasher to upgrade to 1.4.0
and then to 2.0.0 etc,etc

http://www.gbax.com/firmware/

I already tried this with the unbricking guide. As far as I understood it, the files provided there are mentioned firmware. Didn't work.

And to answer the earlier post, I have tried formatting from both XP(so no manual eject exists?) and GNU/Linux (both with FAT16 and 32), and nothing has ever changed.

I have given up, really and have already packed it together in my shed. Maybe there will be a solution in a few years :p.

If all else fails, send it to someone that can flash it via JTAG or buy a breakout board and do it yourself.

What I had to do in order to flash mine was reformat the card, then make sure the first files I put on were the firmware update files in the order which they would be needed by the GP2X to update. I don't know if you tried that, but that was the only way I could get mine to flash. I had a similar thing were it would get past the boot loader and then fail to boot.

What I had to do in order to flash mine was reformat the card, then make sure the first files I put on were the firmware update files in the order which they would be needed by the GP2X to update. I don't know if you tried that, but that was the only way I could get mine to flash. I had a similar thing were it would get past the boot loader and then fail to boot.

I wonder, which firmware version did this happen to you with?

Just real quick while were talking about flashes:

Anybody know if its possible to flash from 2.1 back to 2.0? I didnt seem to find any real improvements at lest from my perspective so i would like to go back if its possible.

Thanks!

I wonder, which firmware version did this happen to you with?

Well, I bricked the main OS (but not bootloader) trying to update from 1.2 to 1.4 with a shoddy power supply using robs updater, and then got it to work updating from what remained of 1.2 to 2.0.

Back