Psp Battery Mod?

norm

aka kapakux89
Website
kapakux89.com
how hard would it be to mod a 2x to run off a 3.7V 3600mAh psp battery? as i have some spare time at the moment so thought i'd do a d-pad and battery mod and maybe a paint job once i buy a second hand 2x (if your selling pm me)

also does anyone no where i can find a gp2x circuit diagram?

cheers

EDIT: i forgot to say that i would also like to wire the battery up to the ac port so it can be charged without removing it

yep a simple battery mod would be nice.
I was trying to find some simple but efficient battery pack (like the one for the Wii but more efficient).

Let us know if you find something interesting...

Good luck for your moding galore!

Well, to use it, you simply need to connect the AC Out of the battery to the battery contacts of the gp2x or the AC in plug (given that the PSP battery doesn't have an additional information signal, haven't checked that) as the gp2x works fine with any voltage from 2,4V up until about 5V.

The charging is the hard part, as you need to include some charger electronics (unless the battery has that built-in).

norm said:
how hard would it be to mod a 2x to run off a 3.7V 3600mAh psp battery? as i have some spare time at the moment so thought i'd do a d-pad and battery mod and maybe a paint job once i buy a second hand 2x (if your selling pm me)

also does anyone no where i can find a gp2x circuit diagram?

cheers

EDIT: i forgot to say that i would also like to wire the battery up to the ac port so it can be charged without removing it
I think that the easy part would be setting up the battery so that the gp2x runs off of it, but I wouldn't risk tampering with the electronics. If you have more than one of those batteries, just buy an external psp battery charger so you can swap batteries when you want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the electronics themselves will be relatively simple but the casemod will be the hardest part of the mod.

Also, I second the external charger. They're cheap, and it's less easy to fuck up your 2x that way.

Just my 2 Cents.

I think it would be best to test the battery on the GP2x first (before doing any major modifications), Just to see if it will power the GP2x, And if so, For how long. Then you can gauge whether there will be any benefits over and above standard AA batteries.

Just my 2p.

Trooper

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=33513&st=0

In case you weren't already aware, a similar mod has been done with batteries lasting over 15 hours in every test (except the first one, which I think was lower because it's possible I had the polarities leading to and from the PCBs reversed :unsure: ).

I have encountered no new problems with the GP2X since the mod. In some ways It might be working better (I know of at least one instance where, before the mod, I couldn't play a certain spot in one of my movies (it had a bright flash of light with some high pitched sound) without the movie player locking up. After the mod, it plays perfectly (in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever had the movie player freeze up since then, but I don't see how the batteries could have effected it to much, of course, I'm not an engineer).

Good luck with the PSP battery (sounds kind of cool) I hope everything turns out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back