Psp Emulation

teggun said:
But will enough developers exploit it? I can't wait to see some games on the pandora with better graphics than the psp offers.
That was pretty much the point of my thread here

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradox said:
That would be incredible, but how many really large publishers / game companies or whatnot are going to develop or even port a game for the Pandora? It's nice to dream but in reality I think it'll just be a suped-up GP2x with just ports, emulation and homebrew keeping it afloat.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to buy it and go play my old retro consoles on it.. but I really can't see any big names coming to it..

I have to agree with this, and it's not me being negative, rather, it's just being realistic. Given development costs and the rest of the numbers that factor into this, I would be very surprised to see any official ports, unless Craig and the Pandora crew can invest literally millions and millions of dollars into global marketing and ad campaigns. A 'presence' for the machine needs to be created, but unfortunately I think that what would be required to bring this presence about is just beyond Craig and co's means.

One way to perhaps see a very high quality of apps, games, ports and emulators for the Pandora would be if users adopted a more giving mindset to the homebrew developers, in the sense that the motivation to develop better code, artwork and so forth becomes that much greater once your labour is being rewarded with money. It's just a simple fact about human beings...

So, if someone comes forward and says "I can spend three months developing a Nintendo 64 emulator for Pandora. I am certain I can get it to work but it will be a lot of effort and require a full time project, so who is going to support me in this endeavour?"
Then, the dev sets a target amount for donations and people who would definitely use the finished product must simply donate what they feel it is worth to them. If someone is going to create something which adds as much value to your life as a $30 or $40 game for any of the other console systems would, why should we shy away from being prepared to pay those amounts? It would take only a thousand people donating $10, or five hundred people donating $20, to bring in $10k, which should easily be more than enough to support the average homebrew developer for a couple of months. Thoughts?

I'm actually going to start a thread on this topic now, as I feel it is too much of a derail for this thread (which is actually about PSP Emulation!)

Paradox said:
That would be incredible, but how many really large publishers / game companies or whatnot are going to develop or even port a game for the Pandora? It's nice to dream but in reality I think it'll just be a suped-up GP2x with just ports, emulation and homebrew keeping it afloat.
I'll admit, probably not many - but don't forget, Pandora is using the next gen mobile phone chipset, which probably boosts it's attractiveness to bigger devs who find out about it simply to test out how their code runs in practice months before phones using the 3430 have arrived.

I would be surprised, if Nokia is pushing N-gage again, if they don't try and have at least one gaming phone that beats the PSP in power - and the simplest way to do that is the same chip we're getting. And Motorola, if they haven't vanished in the phone market yet, have announced a razr with the 3430 as well.

Either way, for any dev, big or small, the Pandora acts in much the same way as New Zealand does for testing things out. It's small, remote, and anything that goes wrong isn't going to have knock-on effects on the rest of the world.

So whilst I don't expect Pandora to become the next mobile gaming standard, I do see it as getting a fair few commercial games, even if they never actually get released and are simply used as in-house ports to check viability of code on the 3430 (well, 3530, but it;s basically the same chip) for significantly less money than an OMAP dev-board costs.

Are you joking or trolling?

Or since you are new, maybe you don't know what emulation means.

Either way, it takes a lot of power to emulate a system. The 7x rules stated above means that it typically takes a system 7 times more power to emulate a target system.

That's why DS is possible, but the PSP is not.

Also, MHz is nothing. Even with the PSP being a 333MHz CPU, the CortexA8 on the Pandora is significantly more powerful per MHz. This goes the same for the PSP GPU. You shouldn't underestimate the performance of the 166MHz on the PSP. No doubt the Pandora is more advanced in terms of features, but performance..... This is the central part of the PSP architecture. It is a gaming machine btw. The Pandora uses a SoC which seems to be aimed towards a multimedia powerhouse. ramble ramble ramble...

Okay everyone...

PS2's CPU power is way more powerful than PSP's, it's a dual issue vs single issue CPU, has scratchpad that isn't slow, 64bit ALU with integer SIMD, two VU's, one of them concurrently operating.. It's like saying a 100MHz 486 is more powerful than a 90MHz Pentium. Fill rate's a lot higher on the PS2 as well.

PS2 emulation is way off the radar for Pandora. It's easy to say this because PCSX2 is actually a pretty heavily optimized emulator, I don't think I have to say anything aside from that. PSP emulation could be much lighter if you do HLE for everything but the raw CPU + VFPU is still just too much for it (even for 222MHz games), so I don't expect that to happen either.

Listen to icurafu. Except please ignore any kind of "N times" rule for emulation :unsure:

No Dreamcast then? :D
At least we should be able to get a nice Saturn emu for the 3 games worth playing on it ;)

Anyone know how well the PS1 emu will run on the pandora?

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
At least we should be able to get a nice Saturn emu for the 3 games worth playing on it ;)

Probably pretty well, but nobody knows how well anything will run until the hardware and software exists.

God, I'd love a saturn Emu.

Unfortunately, the Saturn architecture is very complicated and difficult to emulate.
SSF works almost perfectly, but I don't think there's source code for it.
Saturne is in active development but isn't terribly functional (at least not from CD, I've not tried ISO).

I've not tried SSF on a low-spec machine, but it probably wouldn't run at full speed, even with low-compat mode on.

EDIT: I'm going to try Yabause, but I think the specifications will still be too high for Pandora.

EDIT^2: Yabause on the Dreamcast runs at about 8FPS in game, so maybe a Pandora port is feasible.

So since the PS2 and PSP are far off the radar do you think it could could be possible to do a Dreamcast emulator because that would be nice altough the dreamcast is 200mhz. But with some good programing and deppending on how much you can over clock it you could have a slow one maybe. :huh:

N64 emulation would be a miracle, don't expect anything higher than that.. Most PC emulators can't even handle all of the games..

I hope we don't have a lot of unsatisfied Pandora-owners in the future.. If people keep having such high expectations.. It's unrealistic to expect a full speed N64 emu within the next year, maybe 2 years.. then why even argue about something much harder for the Pandora to handle.. The device is not even out yet!

Dreaming is nice though, I'm starting to worry about people's expectations with all these topics coming up...

Chip said:

Probably pretty well, but nobody knows how well anything will run until the hardware and software exists.

Since the hardware doesn't exist and we are all living in dream land, I think that Pandora will be more than capable of emulating the PS4, XBox 720 and the Wii Wii. With some hard work it might even be able to emulate the Phantom, the Indrema and run Duke Nukum Forever. :blink:

Back