Psp Memory Stick "corrupt" -- Any Ideas?

gaterooze

Coltrane Sundia
Website
Visit site
My buddy's 2gb memory stick he uses in his PSP has a crippling problem. Whatever you copy onto it and then access via the PSP, gets corrupted. I've run media checks that report 0 bad sectors. The memstick works perfectly when only using it on the PC, but the second it's accessed by the PSP, everything goes nuts.

For example, if you play a UMD game and save your progress, it saves fine but when you go to load it, it says the save is corrupt.

Even stranger, if you copy a photo onto the memstick via USB, you can look at the photo fine on your PC (while it's on the memstick), but when you look at the photo on the PSP itself, it gets crazy lines all through it, or doesn't work at all. Then if you reconnect to the PC and open the photo there, it is now corrupted with the very same crazy lines.

I've tried everything I could think of. Formatting on both PSP and PC, in various formats, including using Sony's Memory Stick Formatter program.

Any ideas of what else I could try, guys?

Other memory sticks are working fine in it, so I don't think that's the cause... I will see if my cousin can brings his PSP around to make sure though.

gaterooze posted on Oct 23 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
Other memory sticks are working fine in it, so I don't think that's the cause... I will see if my cousin can brings his PSP around to make sure though.
I can't remember if you can format the memory stick with the PSP as my PSP is at home right now. If you can, then format it with the PSP and see if that solves the problem. Alternatively, try re-formatting it in a card reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
gaterooze posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:49 PM said:
My buddy's 2gb memory stick he uses in his PSP has a crippling problem. Whatever you copy onto it and then access via the PSP, gets corrupted. I've run media checks that report 0 bad sectors. The memstick works perfectly when only using it on the PC, but the second it's accessed by the PSP, everything goes nuts.

For example, if you play a UMD game and save your progress, it saves fine but when you go to load it, it says the save is corrupt.

Even stranger, if you copy a photo onto the memstick via USB, you can look at the photo fine on your PC (while it's on the memstick), but when you look at the photo on the PSP itself, it gets crazy lines all through it, or doesn't work at all. Then if you reconnect to the PC and open the photo there, it is now corrupted with the very same crazy lines.

I've tried everything I could think of. Formatting on both PSP and PC, in various formats, including using Sony's Memory Stick Formatter program.

I think you should totally reset everything on the memory card. and by that i mean wipe out everything saved on the card. because more than likely it will be a file that is on the card which is corrupted

Try using HDTune via a card reader (may also work via the psp) to test for bad locations on the memory stick. Just select the `Error Scan`tab and click the start button. Any locations with hardware errors will appear as red blocks.

Hope this helps.

Trooper

Thanks trooper.

And yep, I've formatted the stick several times in several different ways.

Turns out it's a fake though, and may just be down to shoddy manufacturing...

I'll give that HDTune a spin.

HDTune gave it a perfect bill of health.

The stick works perfectly when using it on a PC, but as soon as the PSP accesses it, it all goes nuts. Bizarro.

Oh well, he can just use it as a jump drive instead...

gaterooze posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:49 PM said:

Sounds like a Fake... Dont use it in the PSP as people have reported fake sticks jamming inside their PSP and some say their stick has statered smoking / melting.

Back