Psx Iso Formating Question.

mahavailo7

Still Fresh
hey, I finally got an ISO running on my GP2X (ridgeracer) and I recall reading that final fantasy seven was running at some kind of playable speed, so I really wanted to see that. My only problem with putting FFVII on my GP2X and getting that out of my system is the fact that my copy of FFVII that I play on epsxe on my computer is an IMG file that is not recognized by the gp2x psx emulator. I downloaded magicISO but I either am not doing it right or there is some problem. Can someone please assist me?

thanks fellas

I think that *.img was supported.Have you tried it?
You can use Alcohol120, for example.

hmmmmm... I'll try it, give me a sec. I guess the last time I tried my IMG file was back before they really hit the developing hard.

KICKASS!!! Not only did I confirm for myself that IMG files work on the gp2x, but I can also tell evyone that star ocean works at a decent speed... COOL! way to go guys and thanks

We should make a topic based on testing psx games speed once the next release comes out, I believe friday?

friday?! GEEZ! I've been gone from the forums for a longer time than I thought. What's the deal with the next release? is frameskip the main deal they're working on, or are they adding other settings features?

mahavailo posted on Aug 20 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
friday?! GEEZ! I've been gone from the forums for a longer time than I thought. What's the deal with the next release? is frameskip the main deal they're working on, or are they adding other settings features?

The main thing is the dynamic recompiler: if you don't want an explanation, it is basically a method that increases speed A LOT.

Also frameskip is kind of hard for a PSX emulator, especially for the GP2X. Not saying PSX will never be playable, it's just hard to implement compared to something like say a Genesis emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next release is only a speed up update.The dynarec is almost ready.May be it will speed up the emulator a lot. (2xspeed up for example)

There are some games that are playable but most of them are slow. Hopefully the speed increase is enough to get WCW Mayhem running decent. But yeah the next release is a speed increase with a very small possibilty of sound though unlikely.

I hate to do this to another persons thread, but i will anyway(it's just a quick question). I just recently got into the psx emulator since it shows promise with it's new release, and i was wondering. Is there a way to get .isz to work?

I just figured out that it will run IMG game files, but I would not put money on ISZ.

Looking back on some things, stuff for the gp2x is starting to get pretty sweat. For example: I started emulating on my PSP which worked excelently (snes, genesis, and GBA) so when I bought the gp2x because it was a system DESIGNED for emulation (and I saw that there was psx emulation in the works. I was dissapointed however, when I realized that the genesis emu was the only really good thing the gp2x had for me at the time, and the snes was subpar and psx would not even run for me. NOW THOUGH, after getting nice snes emu with squidge and a little tweaking, and botting star ocean on the psx emu, well, it seems like the gp2x, the gp2x community, and myself have come very far since june when I bought the dang thing. It's amazing what this community can do in three months!

Back