Psx4All For Dingux

darklegion

Still Fresh
Uli has just released a port of Psx4All to the Dingoo!

I just released something that might be of interest to some:

http://github.com/uli/psx4all-dingoo

This is a port of psx4all to the Dingoo A320 (Dingux), with acceptable performance, at least on some games. I recommend 2/3 frameskip. I have tested the following games:
» Brave Fencer Musashi
» Chrono Trigger
» Cotton
» Cowboy Bebop
» Crime Crackers
» Driver
» Einhänder
» Final Fantasy Origins
» Grand Theft Auto
» Gran Turismo
» Legend of Legaia
» Parasite Eve
» Nectaris
» R-Types
» R-Type Delta
» Syphon Filter
» Tetris Plus
» The Hunter
» ThunderForce 5
» Tomb Raider II

I remember that Driver and Tomb Raider didn’t work, but I think all others did, at varying speeds.

The emulator supports a compressed file format I christended “CBIN”, which is essentially CISO with a different frame size (to accommodate raw CD images). A tool for converting BIN files to CBN comes with the emulator.

Binaries here:

http://github.com/uli/psx4all-dingoo/downloads

Have a lot of fun.

Wow, this looks like quite an involved port, with MIPS recompilation and everything. zodttd told me years ago that he did MIPS code generation for some 500MHz MIPS32 PMP out back then. I wonder if this is using it? A cursory glance suggests that this one is new but I don't know.

If it is new I'd love to see translation logs like usual ;p

Exophase said:
Wow, this looks like quite an involved port, with MIPS recompilation and everything. zodttd told me years ago that he did MIPS code generation for some 500MHz MIPS32 PMP out back then. I wonder if this is using it? A cursory glance suggests that this one is new but I don't know.

Yeah, it has quite impressive performance for a first release, with a 420mhz overclock I get 30-40 fps with FF7, and most other games get similar performance (20-40 fps).Hopefully it isn't already optimized as much as it can be, as even getting to 45+ fps will be enough to play most games, provided that the frameskipping code is improved (doesn't work very well at the moment)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:

Not entirely new, it seems to use some part of my macros to generate code (*.cpp.h), except for it mips emitter. Ironically, I had a MIPS version for PSP too along side with the ARM version. But I'm not following psx4all any longer.

great news :)

i have some questions though...

1st: were do i get that compress programm for windows...
2nd. i try to edit dmenu... but it does not show up :(

any suggestions ??

This is so exciting!

Man I wonder how far the psx emulation can go at dingoo.

Thanks a lot for everyone which have supported the dingoo scene.

Thanks for ZodTTd for psx4all!
Thanks for Uli for the port and the improvement work!

hlide said:
Exophase said:

Not entirely new, it seems to use some part of my macros to generate code (*.cpp.h), except for it mips emitter. Ironically, I had a MIPS version for PSP too along side with the ARM version. But I'm not following psx4all any longer.

It has my MIPS disassembler too ;D But that's there since I did it for zodttd.

pongplaya said:

any suggestions ??

http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/10/psx4all-cbin-converter-for-windows.html

This is not Uli's blog, right?

http://psx4dingoo.blogspot.com/

So why this guy is asking for donations?

siloucos said:
This is not Uli's blog, right?

http://psx4dingoo.blogspot.com/

So why this guy is asking for donations?

oh sh*t another guy trying to have donations with open source code. Please keep in mind psx4all is heavily based on pcsx source with some adaptations for handhelds : gui and recompilers for specific architectures. It really pisses me off to see some guy asking for donation for so small changes !

if someone is giving me a dingux, i'll add the mips recompiler i did for a psp version and if someone can give links to documentation about media instructions, i'll use them in recompilation or at least for gte processor.

hlide said:
It really pisses me off to see some guy asking for donation for so small changes !

I really doubt that guy asking for donations is Ulrich Hecht.

A600 said:
hlide said:
It really pisses me off to see some guy asking for donation for so small changes !

I really doubt that guy asking for donations is Ulrich Hecht.
Well I hope so. I coded some parts of the recompiler for Zodttd's psx4all. It is not to see another guy/girl just puts his own mips emitter in it and to claim donations for it, especially if he/she has already a dingoo.

Based on PCSX code? Emurayden (since it use software reendering from VGS)or pSX emulator code would't be more "interesting"? Just out of curiosity.

siloucos said:
Based on PCSX code? Emurayden (since it use software reendering from VGS)or pSX emulator code would't be more "interesting"? Just out of curiosity.

PCSX is the only open source emulator and therefore the only option. It'd be great if pSX was open but that's not the case. Besides that, psx4all has made a lot of deviations from PCSX's core, and the video (and I think audio) emulation has been written specifically for it.

I think you have the wrong idea about "Emurayden", it's just a resource hack of VGS. It's not a different emulator, it's a fraud.

Exophase said:
siloucos said:

PCSX is the only open source emulator and therefore the only option. It'd be great if pSX was open but that's not the case. Besides that, psx4all has made a lot of deviations from PCSX's core, and the video (and I think audio) emulation has been written specifically for it.

I think you have the wrong idea about "Emurayden", it's just a resource hack of VGS. It's not a different emulator, it's a fraud.

Man I really thought that pSX was open source, I think I mistook something here.
About Emurayden, I thought that due of modifications done its source code was open.

But I can imagine the size of effort and derivations made on pcsx's core, since it runs very impressively on most of systems which it was ported.

Exophase said:
Besides that, psx4all has made a lot of deviations from PCSX's core, and the video (and I think audio) emulation has been written specifically for it.

Well, my burst of anger may imply I'm saying psx4all is just a copy of pcsx, which is not. Yes, video and audio are obviously written as they are not available in the original PCSX source (they are external plugins for the original pcsx indeed). And yes, the original plugins will have been so slow for handhelds. But psx4all is not fundamentally different from pcsx : the interpreter, the memory emulation, the bios emulation are pretty the same. I'll see Psx4all as an optimized pcsx for handhelds.

Reesy said:
pongplaya said:

any suggestions ??

http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/10/psx4all-cbin-converter-for-windows.html

thx alot reesy... :) but how in f.. h.. do i get this to show up in dmenu... i dont wanna dl the whole 100+ mb again :)
btw 2 :) how is fb 1.01 prgressin' ?

Back