Psx4wiz Test Version

Hardyx said:
Here is the Psx4Wiz test 8. It is a development version for the guys who wants to test it with games and comment the results. It has a readme in Spanish and English with the keys and their use.

Don't put in news section yet, it is not the final version. I have been working accelerating the drawing and the memory, but has many things to be improved. This version is a bit quicker than the previous one. The new things in this version are:

- CPU Speed selection from 100 to 800 mhz.
- Fixed the buttons X/Y and L/R which was changed.
- Uses the wiz_lib to accelerate the screen painting.
- The sound is disabled to gain some frames.
- Background skin in emulator menu.

Here is a video playing Ridge Racer in the emu.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GldwfdB_Sn8

got me another GP2X, had no chance in hell to get the other back, what i actually meant was, can the cdda audio files be in the bin with what normally would be the iso? it can be together right? and also what was some of the first few games that were released for the psx, might help trying it with some of those coz they probly were less advanced in programming than the later ones. I'd like to rip my copy of Legend of Mana though to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tengu said:
can the cdda audio files be in the bin with what normally would be the iso? it can be together right?
The cd image can have audio tracks too, but the sound is not working in this version.

hi i used alcohol 52% to iso my files ive tried alundra, lma manager 2001, wwf in your house u have done a great job to get this far im willing to donate to you to further this project do u think games will be able to run at a playable speed

I've noticed something, if the bin or iso is too big it seems like it just wont even load up. i've tried legend of mana and it actually froze before getting to the game...actually i think it was going into the game but it was so big that it froze the emulator where i couldnt even put up the emu menu. Blood Omen did actually load up, once, and i never got it to load up again for some reason. Would me haveing such a damn huge sd card have anything to do with it. 32gig SDHC I'm going to try a much smaller game. Well i hope this helps with your work on the emu

Got Kula World (Roll Away/Kula Quest) up and running with test#8. Frame rate was about 5.5 (@533mhz).

Need for Speed 2 is almost playable without opponents:D

no sound,
PSX Cycle 5.0 (Ingame you have to press L+Volup to set)

With R+ volup/down you can regulate the PSX Clock (but i couldn't get the game faster with that.. with lower than 100% it gets slower)

Its laggy but atleast it plays with the normal speed of the game :)

Games will run a bit faster with interlace count.
But you have to replace the backgroundimage of the emulator with a black one and its very buggy..

edit:
Final Fantasy 7 has 30fps and is good playable!
PSX Cycle 10

Thanks for the info. can anyone tell me if crash bandicoot is playable?

Hardy, what are your plans for this emulator? if any? I'm a real fan of tech stuff so I wonder whether it would be too mu8ch to ask you about the innards of the playstation and how it's being emulated. I like theory :p

Devilmandex said:

Hardy, what are your plans for this emulator? if any? I'm a real fan of tech stuff so I wonder whether it would be too mu8ch to ask you about the innards of the playstation and how it's being emulated. I like theory :p

No offense to Hardyx but since he's porting another person's emulator there's no guarantee that he knows that information. Of course he might, but most people who port emulators aren't that acquainted with how the platform and emulation works.

Anyway, these are some basics about PS1:

CPU: 33MHz MIPS III R3000 with 4KB of instruction cache and 1KB of scratchpad RAM. Typical simple RISC design, can perform ALU instructions in one cycle but branches and memory instructions have delay slots. I hear bad things can happen if you don't honor the memory delay slots correctly, but I don't know the details (as is true to its name it doesn't interlock, apparently). Since it doesn't have proper data cache games have to rely a lot on the fast scratchpad for some things, but inevitably are forced to go out to main memory a lot which probably slows things down considerably compared to a more fully cached design.

GTE: A vector coprocessor on the CPU which allows all of the geometry and lighting sort of operations needed for 3D games. It's actually kind of a pain to emulate because it has a lot of flags and side effects that probably take more time to properly emulate than the real core operations. So this is a big reason why heavy 3D games might emulate a lot slower than 2D games, although even the most demanding 3D games don't really push the GTE too far, I think.

GPU: 2D texture mapping accelerator that can draw various primitives. Being 2D means that it can't do perspective correction or z-buffering, so games have wobbly textures and have to sort primitives before transfer. Fortunately it has display lists which are supposed to make sorting them easier than it could be otherwise.

SPU: 24 channel ADPCM wavetable with reverb and envelopes and stuff. To me it always felt like an enhanced version of the sound DSP in the SNES, which isn't surprising given that Sony did that chip too. There's also a chip that decodes XA audio, which is streaming ADPCM.

MDEC: Some JPEG like decoder that's used for video.

CD: 2x CD-ROM, nothing very interesting here.

All I care about is whether the Wipeout games run. If so, then sign me up for some hot Psx4Wiz lovin' for the whole weekend! :)

Exophase said:
Devilmandex said:

No offense to Hardyx but since he's porting another person's emulator there's no guarantee that he knows that information. Of course he might, but most people who port emulators aren't that acquainted with how the platform and emulation works.

Anyway, these are some basics about PS1:

CPU: 33MHz MIPS III R3000 with 4KB of instruction cache and 1KB of scratchpad RAM. Typical simple RISC design, can perform ALU instructions in one cycle but branches and memory instructions have delay slots. I hear bad things can happen if you don't honor the memory delay slots correctly, but I don't know the details (as is true to its name it doesn't interlock, apparently). Since it doesn't have proper data cache games have to rely a lot on the fast scratchpad for some things, but inevitably are forced to go out to main memory a lot which probably slows things down considerably compared to a more fully cached design.

GTE: A vector coprocessor on the CPU which allows all of the geometry and lighting sort of operations needed for 3D games. It's actually kind of a pain to emulate because it has a lot of flags and side effects that probably take more time to properly emulate than the real core operations. So this is a big reason why heavy 3D games might emulate a lot slower than 2D games, although even the most demanding 3D games don't really push the GTE too far, I think.

GPU: 2D texture mapping accelerator that can draw various primitives. Being 2D means that it can't do perspective correction or z-buffering, so games have wobbly textures and have to sort primitives before transfer. Fortunately it has display lists which are supposed to make sorting them easier than it could be otherwise.

SPU: 24 channel ADPCM wavetable with reverb and envelopes and stuff. To me it always felt like an enhanced version of the sound DSP in the SNES, which isn't surprising given that Sony did that chip too. There's also a chip that decodes XA audio, which is streaming ADPCM.

MDEC: Some JPEG like decoder that's used for video.

CD: 2x CD-ROM, nothing very interesting here.

Thanks for the info. I always find this stuff interesting. I remember talking to hlide about the emulator he did for the psp and how he thought the gte was porely emulated in pops. (Yes you arent the only dev I used to bother) :p Tech blogs and posts ftw!

Devilmandex said:
Thanks for the info. I always find this stuff interesting. I remember talking to hlide about the emulator he did for the psp and how he thought the gte was porely emulated in pops. (Yes you arent the only dev I used to bother) :p Tech blogs and posts ftw!

I think that must be an exaggeration.. I'm sure it wasn't as efficient as what hlide came up with but it probably could have been a lot worse. It certainly did a pretty good job in practice. I don't think most PS1 games really use a lot of GTE opcodes per frame anyway, they're too limited by the GPU for that.

Exophase said:
Devilmandex said:

I think that must be an exaggeration.. I'm sure it wasn't as efficient as what hlide came up with but it probably could have been a lot worse. It certainly did a pretty good job in practice. I don't think most PS1 games really use a lot of GTE opcodes per frame anyway, they're too limited by the GPU for that.

So, the GPU on the wiz isn't being used yet, is it? It's being drawn in software? Is there a decent way to write 3D applications that use the GPU hardware yet? Would running the 3D for the playstation through the GPU be faster than how it's running now, and if so, by how much? =D

Nobody really knows. xD But it would be nice to be able to run some PSX games, even if it's frame skipped to 30FPS or something. That would be perfect for most PSX rpgs, which are really the best games to be played on the PSX anyway. The key there is getting sound to work as well, as playing games without sound just bugs me, alot. xD

Keep up the good work. Hopefully this will turn out to be usable.

With the incoming SDK, will we play an PSX game finally (>40FPS) or it isn't impossible in WIZ??

zaba said:
With the incoming SDK, will we play an PSX game finally (>40FPS) or it isn't impossible in WIZ??
AFAIK the SDK from GPH won't change anything performance-wise. Why should it?

Playing PSX >40 FPS should be possible using the 3d accelerator, but I don't think someone will implement it.

AFAIK the SDK from GPH won't change anything performance-wise. Why should it?

Playing PSX >40 FPS should be possible using the 3d accelerator, but I don't think someone will implement it.

I really wish someone would, it would make this amazing little device worth it's wieght in gold and possibly attract alot more users. Though it would mean I'd have to spend a lot of money on a massive SD card. :rolleyes:

Someone develop this please! :D :D :wiz:

Megaman X4 runs at about 20 fps 533 mhz and 30 fps 700 mhz. In my opinion its playable, slow but playable.

What about virtual pool/virtual pool 3 and GTA/GTA2 - has anyone got those running and if so how? I love when this old thread gets dragged out of the depths so I can ask these questions again... Some day someone WILL have updated the damn thing, just like UAE4all.

Gta1 and 2 aren't running? I haven't tried them so I'll try sometime today or tomorrow.
BTW when you load the game with a bios does that affect compatibility or speed.
away from my wiz at the moment so I'll get back on that in a bit

Back