Pulling PNDstore from the Start Menu and placing other apps there?

JePP

Hey everyone,

I've never really used PNDstore - as most I believe -, but PNDManager instead. Why is it still included in the Start menu and is there a way to remove it? 

Is there a way to place PNDs on your SD card in this area for quick access (if you don't want it on your desktop)?

Thanks!

I'm sure the menu can be configured manually, but it isn't going to be neat process (anyone for hacking?)

This would include adding other apps to that space, but getting it done neatly using the autodetect system isn't currently possible.

Such a feature could be added (and I think it would be nice if it were), but that's up to Skeezix & Co

PNDstore is still there because it mostly works and there's no viable replacement for it.

PNDManager uses a different bunch of Qt libs to the rest of the OS and is too big to fit on the NAND

I can recommend Freamon's openbox, which puts PNDmanager on the main menu as long as you have it installed on an SD card

Last edited by a moderator:
To get rid of it (temporarily, no longer appears in the menu but you can call it from the command line still)

sudo mv /usr/share/applications/op_pndstore.desktop ~To restore it to the menu
Code:
sudo mv ~/op_pndstore.desktop /usr/share/applications/
To get rid of it less temporarily (can still call from command line but no way to get it back into the menu)
Code:
sudo rm /usr/share/applications/op_pndstore.desktop
To get rid of it permanently (should free up a few K on the NAND)
Code:
sudo opkg remove --force-depends pandora-pndstore
To reinstall it requires an internet connection
Code:
sudo opkg update; sudo opkg install pandora-pndstore
NOTE! I haven't actually done this, there are other packages that claim to be dependent on pndstore and doing this could break things, or they could just be paranoid about their dependency and don't actually use it at all. If you do go through with the remove, worst case you'll need to reflash. Most likely case is that you'll simply need to reinstall it.
edit: incidentally, adding new items to the menu is as easy as creating a standard .desktop file and dropping it into that /usr/share/applications directory. ;)

edit edit: to answer your other question, if you have some small PNDs you can put them in /pandora/menu or /pandora/desktop directly on the firmware and they'll show up, same as any other PND. The NAND is very very limited though. Also things that are normally written to appdata on your SD will be stored to the NAND as well. There's room for pndmanager.pnd on the firmware, but it does a lot of writing every time you refresh the package list, so probably not a good idea to keep it on NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the idea was to get a few choice apps to show up in the root xfce menu?

You mean where "Terminal" "File Manager", and "Web Browser" are? Just put "X-Xfce-Toplevel;" in the "Categories" field of your .desktop file.

Back