Two-Way Pndstore

WizardStan said:
Esn said:
Tempel said:
Linking to infringing content may be disallowed under US law; there's nothing illegal about linking to a PND that the creator has deliberately made available.
So there's nothing illegal about linking to that PND, but it is illegal to send someone that PND? I'm trying to figure out why you see no problem with the wiki but you do see a problem with the proposal in the first post.
Some people will upload their PNDs saying "this PND can only be downloaded from my site." Lots of reasons they might do this: maybe they want to keep an accurate count of who is using it; maybe they get ad revenue when someone visits their site; maybe they like having the control to throw updates or pull things down at an instant. Whatever the reason, they want all downloads to be through their site.
My understanding of how the courts have interpreted copyright law is that linking directly to the PND is effectively the same as hosting it yourself, which in this case with the original author's request would be bad. Linking to the site where the PND can be found however should be OK, otherwise Google would be in a lot of trouble.

err...

Last edited by a moderator:
«3╕C╨αε*,╕[pw╖αεnâ├ƒ╝╗√²√ε₧¥sf║δ╓S╒╒u½╗╧}ε**2FFR)Ç=h∞∞Σ#╡PR*'² *p6&e%ed*BD*P╥Æù#u╖│╡* Æ[:;;≥13;8*∞*ìφ═*Ç╞L*@*f{c ...

...that was the first link... the other 2 looked exactly the same...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
ah, ok... do I download all 3 links?
He's pointing out that google is linking directly to files which is (possibly) in violation of what the license could be saying. He did this because I said that if google did that, they could be in a lot of trouble. Replace with a search for something like a rom file and suddenly (assuming I've understood the court ruling) Google is serving up ROMs in violation of copyright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back