Puredata: need libasound-dev

dreamer

Trying to compile the latest Puredata (pd-0.43-4).

On make I found out that alsa/libasound.h is missing.

Trying to install alsa-utils-dev results in a number of errors, among others the needed header-file:

alsa-utils-dev: unsatisfied recommendation for libasound-dev

alsa-utils-dev: unsatisfied recommendation for virtual-locale-ru-dev

alsa-utils-dev: unsatisfied recommendation for virtual-locale-ja-dev

So, any ideas about getting these headers?

I assume you are using the cdevtools pnd and opkg to install the headers. I recommend using PanDebian-Squeeze to compile as almost all needed headers and libraries can be installed quite easily. In fact, puredata is already available on debian squeeze and just needs to be copied over with the necessary libraries and it should work: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/puredata

You can also try Code//Blocks PND, there is a command line where you can try to compile also (libasound is include).

PS: If the PND is on a SDCard formated as FAT32, you won't be able to use the 'addipk' command that is inside cdevtools or codeblocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you are using the cdevtools pnd and opkg to install the headers.
Yes, although I also tried the addipk inside the cdevtools.
I recommend using PanDebian-Squeeze
I'm not trying a native compile for nothing.
I've tried to compile/install Puredata on Pandebian in the past. It was horribly slow, basically unusable.

Before I did get the Puredata UI compiled. Everything was working except alsa. I guess now their build-system actually checks for it.

I tried compiling without alsa and using portaudio, except now I'm getting tk.tcl errors.

I confirm I can compile latest puredata with a simple ./autgogen.sh ./configure and make with code::blocks (I used the yet to be release build 08, but I quite sure build 07 available on the repo should work).

I have compiled it..Hum, not sure of what to do with it now.. What's the use of puredata? I can't easy lauch it, as it needs some setup to run properly. Are you intending to PND-it ?

Eventually a .pnd would be the goal yes.

Can you test if alsa works? 'Media > Test Audio and Midi'

I'll install the latest code::blocks and compile in there! :)

Hum, I tried to test but having problem with tcl/tk  :(  . some blabla at start, error message complaining about no button # assigned to things... and then, I have the GUI launched, but no I can't click on menu. And tcl/tk well, I don't use that every days..

Ah yes .. shit. I got that far in C/C++-devtools as well (when I compiled without alsa).

I think the devtools only have tcl/tk 8.4, right? 8.5 is needed for Pd.

Yes, it's tcl/tk 8.4 (8.4.7 I think). So an upgrade to 8.5 is needed for Pd. Hum, I'll take a look, see if I can put that in next or nextnext release of code::blocks.

Ok, I compiled and installed tcl/tk 8.5.13 now.

However, now I still have the same issues as before (year ago) with alsa:

snd_pcm_hw_params (input): Invalid argument
snd_pcm_hw_params (output): Invalid argument
In the audio settings I can select two devices:

omap3pandora (hardware)
omap3pandora (plugin)

Which both fail.

When I select portaudio output, I get:

Code:
pd: src/common/pa_front.c:325: Pa_Initialize: Assertion `"PortAudio: compile time and runtime endianness don't match" && (((char *)&nativeOne)[0]) == 0` failed.
Pd: signal 6

Ok, after a bit of fighting, I switched to tcl/tk 8.5.13. I have to do some cleanup, to remove the old 8.4, and it will be in the next code::blocks PND.

I finally launched puredata. Hum not an easy software ! But  I'm afraid I have the same things as you  :(  .

I have to check in the code, but maybe PD tried to open Float32 as a format ? It is not supported on the Pandora,I had a problem like that with winelib. But the libasound I compiled has no support for Float, so it shouldn't even try (at least, that worked for winelib).

I did a bit of experiment. It is a problem of format selection. Alsa let the software choose a format that it cannot handle after  :wacko:  .

In the file "s_audio_alsa.c", in the src folder, if you comment lines 138-147 and 154-157, you force PD to choose only Signed 16bits (instead of S32 or S24), you won't have the error... But you'll have a new one, in the PD main windows, in bright red, stating that I/O sound is stuck or something...

you won't have the error... But you'll have a new one, in the PD main windows, in bright red, stating that I/O sound is stuck or something...
Ah yes, I've seen that as well. Not sure how to reproduce. Think it might be when I try to set the 'plugin' device.

Will see if I can relay this to the Pd-list.

Back