Pandora Simple Dev Pnd

Unfortunately not, as you're mounting to places which are generally being written to or used at that point in time ( you can check this by running "lsof /your/path" and you'll get a list of things accessing that path. )

You can sometimes get away with unmounting the /home bind, but you'd need to do it in a script that forces a sudo password, as if it's still in the cache, it tries to unmount too quick while the filesystem is writing the command that you've called the script to your bash_history! Fun, isn't it? ;)
I think the script for doing the /home unbind is still in the PND, I just disabled the link as it's not 100% fool proof, and I'd rather not have people think they're safe to remove the card, then cause all sorts of madness. It should be fine, as I mount the NAND read-only.. but where would the writes occur if you've removed the card? It's not something I've tried, to be honest, as it doesn't sound particularly healthy!

For the most part, you can usually unbind most of it.. but some of the more important binds like /bin /lib and most of /usr are near enough impossible to do, sadly.
I'm still looking in to it, as there has to be a way to do it, but for now, I'd heed the big warning in my original post that this effectively locks your SD card, and you really should not remove it before rebooting.

I'll have another look into the /home bind.. and if I can get that unmounting safely, I'll reactivate the script as that's something at least :)

[edit]
wow, I just noticed an oops in my script... I don't appear to bind /usr/local to the loopback!
I had just compiled ddd and rebooted and wondered how it ended up in my menu... oops!
Might explain SomeGuy's Firefox oddness, it might've ended up in /usr/local which would still be on NAND.. I'll update it now. Sorry about that.. this is why it's in Developer's Corner and not on the public download areas ;)
[/edit]
[further edit]
Ah, now I see why I missed it.. it doesn't exist on a default install! And I can't bind all of /usr to SD cause of the /usr/pandora folder... arse ... I'll have to check for it and create it if it doesn't exist the first time you run the script then.
[/further edit]

I noticed it saves PND menu entries in /usr/share/applications even when the card isn't mounted. I just need to mount and unmount the card I guess!

I've updated the script: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/SimpleDev/extendutils.pnd ( this will always reflect the newest one )

I've included highly experimental unmounting of the /home bind.. it doesn't always cleanly come off, especially the PND bind that the system does.. but I may have a few more tricks up my sleeve to force it.. need to have a further poke about.

/usr/share is definitely one of the binds... so yea, if the system is storing stuff there and you want it available when you don't have the binds in place, you'll need to do whatever it is before you bind.

Though if you want, I could get the script to not mount /usr/share/applications so everything you install is always in the menu, but that kindof goes against what I'm up to - of avoiding writing to the NAND as much as I can ;)

[edit]
Ah.. now there's a bugger up..
If a PND fails to unmount properly, it takes up a /dev/loop slot, which are a finite resource.
Each extend file also requires a /dev/loop slot.
So with a default setup, you take up 3 slots - the PND, home and root binds.
This might have attributed to SomeGuy's firefox issue.. in fact it seems more likely as it'll near enough silently fail at the moment unless you do the binds manually from the console. Bugger.

Easy way around this - sacrifice a card and format it ext2... downside, Windows wont look at it the same way again ( till you reformat it, that is ;) ) but then you can bind outside the loop back system, and the PND mount point won't get tied up either.
Of course that way admits defeat, so I'll continue poking and prodding it, and see what I come up with.
[/edit]

[further edit]
New dev extend: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/SimpleDev/Dev.Extend.20thJune2010.zip ~50mb
This one has the following changes:
+ alsa-dev
+ autoconf
+ automake
+ e2fsprogs-dev
+ flex
+ flex-dev
+ gftp
+ gnu-config
+ gtk-doc
+ gtk-doc-dev
+ libacl-dev
+ libattr-dev
+ libglib-2.0-dev
+ libice-dev
+ libpam-dev
+ libsm-dev
+ libusb-0.1-dev
+ libusb-1.0-dev
+ libxt-dev
+ m4
+ perl-dev
+ python-bzip2
+ python-compile
+ python-devel
+ python-distutils
+ python-fcntl
+ python-subprocess
+ python-zlib
+ udev-dev
+ usbutils-dev
+ util-linux-ng-dev

also includes lesstif and ddd compiled from latest source.
lesstif is a light weight Motif-like widgets library.
ddd is a graphical front end to a variety of debuggers and is really quite nifty.

This also includes Mercurial, compiled from source, and should include pkg-config as well.
[/further edit]

I'm having problems compiling stuff. I'm not an expert with this, but it seems to be something about pkg-config? I installed it from the Angstrom repos, but still having woes.

ATM I'm trying to install cmus. It wanted madlib, so I installed that from the Angstrom repos... but it still says it's not there during the configure.

I've had problems compiling other things too.

Edit: I'm a moron! I had to install the dev package for madplay. I sort of assumed they would be with the source.

SomeGuy99 said:
I'm having problems compiling stuff. I'm not an expert with this, but it seems to be something about pkg-config? I installed it from the Angstrom repos, but still having woes.

ATM I'm trying to install cmus. It wanted madlib, so I installed that from the Angstrom repos... but it still says it's not there during the configure.

I've had problems compiling other things too.
I think you need libmad-dev too...

Last edited by a moderator:
pkg-config should be in there.. if you can let me know the actual errors you're getting with that, I can track it down a bit better :)
it was probably one of the things that ended up installing to /usr/local and got half mangled when I realised that.. thought I caught everything.

But yes, for the most part, libraries from Angstrom require the -dev variant if you're wanting to compile stuff too.

I'm new to this, gimme a break ;)

Stuckie, do a PND of Cmus. It's totally awesome! I think it's the exact music player I've been looking for all my life.

Include the following as documentation if you do (it's very key shortcut heavy)

http://gitorious.org/cmus/cmus/blobs/master/Doc/cmus-tutorial.txt

I'll add it on to the list ;)
MPD has currently got my attention ( it's _almost_ there.. MPD seems to work fine, but GMPC doesn't seem to want to connect for some reason.. and MPC seems to get stuck in a connect loop as well ) ... I thought it'd have been a quick one to do as well!
I'll have a look at Cmus tonight, but I think what may be a good idea is to stick the tools in the environment to make the PNDs on the Pandora. Only thing that's missing is mkisofs, really.

On the plus side, wooo you managed to get something to compile in the environment! That's at least one success story I know of, so far :)
If you had to install libs, let me know which ones and I'll add them to the next release if they're useful ( they probably are, by the sounds of things you needed libMAD.. thought SDL_mixer would've pulled that in as a dependency. )

Stuckie said:
I'll add it on to the list ;)
MPD has currently got my attention ( it's _almost_ there.. MPD seems to work fine, but GMPC doesn't seem to want to connect for some reason.. and MPC seems to get stuck in a connect loop as well ) ... I thought it'd have been a quick one to do as well!
I'll have a look at Cmus tonight, but I think what may be a good idea is to stick the tools in the environment to make the PNDs on the Pandora. Only thing that's missing is mkisofs, really.

On the plus side, wooo you managed to get something to compile in the environment! That's at least one success story I know of, so far :)
If you had to install libs, let me know which ones and I'll add them to the next release if they're useful ( they probably are, by the sounds of things you needed libMAD.. thought SDL_mixer would've pulled that in as a dependency. )

Nothing pulls in for me, because I do everything manually. It's sort of like pulling teeth though. ;)

I seem to recall having to install pkg-config too.

Also compiled Orpheus the other day. I'm trying to get Tilda going, so I'll give that one another go now. I'm perusing the debian screenshot pages to find interesting things to try.

The only problem with your new releases is that I'd have to throw out all the existing files on my present dev extend file, right? What about patches?

Edit: More stuff

Decible Audio Player errors 'ImportError: No module named multiprocessing'

Guess it needs more python?

I'll have a look at patches.. I tend to give a list of what changes I've done so you can keep yours up to date, but things compiled from source ( pkg-config, Mercurial, ddd, lesstif ) are probably a bit more annoying. Patching would be good.

Yea, that importError is effectively "needs more python" and I'll have a look to see if I buggered up pkg-config when fixing the /usr/local stuff last night.. I still have the compiled source so should just be a case of "sudo make install" again.

Just compiled freesweep (terminal minesweeper clone)!

I think we might need a seperate thread for compiling successes/woes. I'll just spam here for now... spread the love!

SomeGuy99 said:

Stuckie, do a PND of Cmus. It's totally awesome! I think it's the exact music player I've been looking for all my life.

moc is a lot better. http://moc.daper.net/

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:

-God Ginrai

As an ex-user of Moc, I disagree. Go opinion power.

I used to find it quite crashy and buggy, at least on ARM.

And anyway, Cmus has the same features as MOC but craploads more. It's more like Itunes, but runs lightning quick. Moc does have a progress bar, I'll give it that.

Ncurses music players are a serious thing!

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:

-God Ginrai

And anyway, Cmus has the same features as MOC but craploads more. It's more like Itunes, but runs lightning quick. Moc does have a progress bar, I'll give it that.

Strange... I've never had moc crash on me. However, I have also never used it on ARM, so it could be that something is just fucked up with the ARM builds. Also, comparisons to iTunes do not make things look good to me, as I hate the program.

And of course ncurses music players are super serious business. ;P

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:

-God Ginrai

Strange... I've never had moc crash on me. However, I have also never used it on ARM, so it could be that something is just fucked up with the ARM builds. Also, comparisons to iTunes do not make things look good to me, as I hate the program.

And of course ncurses music players are super serious business. ;P

-God Ginrai

Okay, so if Moc is Winamp, then Cmus is Winamp + Itunes. You can totally use it how you like.

Also, you can remap the keys and change the colours of the interface inside the program... for Ncurses apps in general, that's very sophisticated!

Plus, Cmus maps perfectly to the Pandora, with each window being a number button. The only things I would add: graphical progress bar, slave mode (don't think it has it already) and equaliser.

Oi! move your war to another thread :p hehe

Back on Topic:
In regards to patching these extension files, the easiest way would probably be something like a zipped up diff over the filesystem, and then have a basic script unzip it all over your existing one.

I'll work out a patch format for the current 20/6/10 release against the 18/6/10 release and see if that works out. Then I'll be able to release a patch and a new base for each version and keep everyone happy :)

Though I'm open to suggestions here, as I've a feeling doing the above could possibly still wipe out somethings if you've already installed bits and pieces from the patch and configured them to your liking... unless that's a risk you're willing to take!

Stuckie said:
Though I'm open to suggestions here, as I've a feeling doing the above could possibly still wipe out somethings if you've already installed bits and pieces from the patch and configured them to your liking... unless that's a risk you're willing to take!

I'm fine with that risk, considering the alternative is to just start all over again.

I'm not having much luck installing .deb files btw. It complains that stuff already in the firmware isn't there (eg. gtk2.0). Any suggestions?

Holy crap. Just been through the entire 160 pages of the debian screenshot site! I have a lot of stuff to compile!

I haven't looked at messing with any .deb files yet, to be honest.
Gimme a link to one you're having a look at and I'll see what's up with it.

And you seem to be having fun seeing how much stuff you get squish onto the Pandora ;) still amazes me just how powerful the little thing actually is!

Stuckie said:
I haven't looked at messing with any .deb files yet, to be honest.
Gimme a link to one you're having a look at and I'll see what's up with it.

And you seem to be having fun seeing how much stuff you get squish onto the Pandora ;) still amazes me just how powerful the little thing actually is!

I think I'm still behind Paddy and some others. ;) Doing it manually and dealing with dependency hell slows me down!

I think we're like kids who've just arrived at a theme park, and immediately run off in every direction to try all the rides.

It's freaky powerful really... the last handheld I was doing Linux hacking on was my Jornada. The power difference is lightyears in comparison!

I seem to recall I was attempting to install Gpaint and Gnotes?

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gpaint
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gnote

Edit:

Install dpkg, to see if that would help with debs. It says the architecture is wrong... arm and not armel? I was downloading arm packages from the Debian site.

Edit:

Tried an armel package, which it seemed to accept. Just need to satisfy dependencies etc.

Back