Cross-Compiling Is Bollocks! Toolchains Are Bollocks! Use Yo

I wouldn't worry too much about only having 9mb free on your NAND, if you've got everything onboard that you need to compile, it won't change much. I myself have been running my development Pandora for months with about the same amount of NAND space free, and I don't see the problem with it .. its just 'feelings', really ..

But if you don't like it, simply boot from an SD card and set up the environment that way, using the SD filesystem. See the wiki for instructions on how to set up the SD card to boot from it, and then you can just install the developer tools exactly as described in the first post in this thread.

Alternatively, if you want to boot from NAND, but use the SD space for development, this is what you'd use "Stuckie's Extend" environment for .. he does all sorts of unionfs tricks to make this feasible, but to be honest I've not bothered with it as its not really necessary, just cute. ;) Since I have two Pandoras, I use one exclusively for development and the other for user-OS testing .. my development Pandora is filled to the gills, and the User Pandora is just a plain ol' firmware.

Thanks for your repsonse. Appreciate it :)

torpor said:
I wouldn't worry too much about only having 9mb free on your NAND, if you've got everything onboard that you need to compile, it won't change much. I myself have been running my development Pandora for months with about the same amount of NAND space free, and I don't see the problem with it .. its just 'feelings', really ..
That is the problem, I only have 9 MB free without any of the tools needed for compiling, like headers, subversion, toolchain etc.

But if you don't like it, simply boot from an SD card and set up the environment that way, using the SD filesystem. See the wiki for instructions on how to set up the SD card to boot from it, and then you can just install the developer tools exactly as described in the first post in this thread.
Ok, that'll be my way to go then. Just an SD-card labeled 'Pandora development' ;) I reckon surplus 1 GB card will be enough for some small development (I have Gosmore in mind)?

Alternatively, if you want to boot from NAND, but use the SD space for development, this is what you'd use "Stuckie's Extend" environment for .. he does all sorts of unionfs tricks to make this feasible, but to be honest I've not bothered with it as its not really necessary, just cute. ;) Since I have two Pandoras, I use one exclusively for development and the other for user-OS testing .. my development Pandora is filled to the gills, and the User Pandora is just a plain ol' firmware.
Yes, that's what I wanted to know. The 'tricks' bit is what makes me feel: hmmm. So I'll go for the aformentioned option.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a page to the wiki on how to set up gcc and friends on the Pandora, based on this thread, and my experiences trying to do it in March 2011. Several things broke; the "unstable" Angstrom repository is well-named! Pleae edit that wiki page if I've left something out or got something wrong, as usual for a wiki.

http://pandorawiki.org/Compile_directly_on_the_Pandora

linked from here:

http://pandorawiki.org/Getting_started_with_Pandora_development

i apologize if this was mentioned, as i didnt read this entire thread, but there is no libsdl-mixer-dev in opkg... i believe what you want is libsdl-mixer-1.2-dev but thats a quick google search and could be wrong too.

Back