Pyboom

aggaz

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I just released a little PrBoom launcher written in python.

I think is better in respect to others because makes possible to launch mods in a easy way.

Here follows the README file.

Code:
PyBoom is a little PrBoom launcher deeloped for CAANOO.

Is an alternative to PickleLauncher that gives the possibility to select more than a single WAD file.
With it it is possible to run mods against a "base" WAD file.

The proper way to run PrBoom in order to play with a mod is the following:

prboom -iwad $base -file $mod

where $base is the principal WAD location (i.e. freedoom.wad) and $mod is the mod WAD location (i.e. sdm.wad).
PyBoom is just a graphical way for calling the above command.

It is developd in by using pygame and albow, and it needs the python runtime for caanoo packaged by Sepulep.
"python" directory is supposed to be paced at the root directory of your SD card.

In order to have windows that fits in the caanoo little screen I had to modify a file from albow library.
This distribution contains also this file.

In order to install PyBoom you just need to copy the files in the "game" and "python" directories by following their paths.
i.e., assuming that you are in the same folder of this README file:

cp python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/albow/file_dialogs.py /media/sda1/python/lib/python2.6/site-packages/albow/file_dialogs.py
cp -R game/prboom/* /media/sda1/game/prboom
cp game/prboom.ini /media/sda1/game/prboom.ini

Thats all!

Once the program is installed you can run it by opening PrBoom. Then you need to select your wads by taking advantage
of the touchscreen. Other input interfaces (buttons, joystick) are not supported at the moment, however buttons are big enough
to be pressed with your finger.

Please notice that this is a python script, so it takes a little time to run!

If you are interested, it is available on OpenHandhelds. LINK

Best.
aggaz

Hi guys, i wanted to try it, but i just coudn't run it. the caanoo's loading screen appears but it goes back into the caanoo menu, I did put the folders in the right places, tried with a empty SDcard, intalled it alone and then over prboom, but with the same results.

my caanoo is running the 1.0.7 firmware

could someone giveme a hint please, could it be a firmware issue?

Back