Pyra dock connections.

Guys there is no need to remind me every single time that the sky is blue.

The best possible and coast effective way will be to keep the Ethernet pot to 10Mb, (100Mb is overkill, and 1G is not practical and useless) the WiFi module should be supporting only a 802.11b. After all the WiFi signal is bad for our health so maybe we should completely remove it. 

No one is planning to put more then 8GB SD cards in his Pyra, And you can aways transfer your files via USB3.0 over a 70 meters of usb cable.

:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

The best possible and coast effective way will be to keep the Ethernet pot to 10Mb, (100Mb is overkill, and 1G is not practical and useless) the WiFi module should be supporting only a 802.11b. After all the WiFi signal is bad for our health so maybe we should completely remove it. 

No one is planning to put more then 8GB SD cards in his Pyra, And you can aways transfer your files via USB3.0 over a 70 meters of usb cable.

:huh:
^I'm detecting a huge amount of sourpuss in that statement.

Actually the best possible solution is to consider the trade offs and benefits, rather than jumping to the extreme ends of every spectrum because you can imagine an edge-case scenario where something would be useful. It's pretty clear that the majority of people are going to want more than 8GB storage on a handheld portable PC, it's not clear that someone is going to want to regularly transfer 100s of gigabytes to and from it with any regularity in a short period of time, or even use that it if they did; maybe if you're some sort of future cyberpunk Johnny Mnemonic information courier. I really can't imagine many situations where it would occur regularly that you're going out with nothing but a Pyra and you'd need a shitload of data, quickly and use all of it before you return.

The technical solution to a problem isn't always the most elegant. Sometimes it's as simple as a little time management, better planning and a nap.

, it's not clear that someone is going to want to regularly transfer 100s of gigabytes to and from it with any regularity in a short period of time, or even use that it if they did; maybe if you're some sort of future cyberpunk Johnny Mnemonic information courier. I really can't imagine many situations where it would occur regularly that you're going out with nothing but a Pyra and you'd need a shitload of data, quickly and use all of it before you return
Ethernet and Wireless should be removed completely. After all you are right and we are not Johny [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Mnemonic and we do not know how to make backups or what a 128GB SD Card is.[/SIZE]

I am done with this thread.

Well you obviously have some bizarre ideas about the read/write speed of SD Cards, sarcasm or not.,

@Thinkpad... you know the chances of the Dock having Gigabit networking is fairly good assuming that USB 3.0 port is used and a powered USB 3.0 hub could be included in the docking station so that other USB 3 devices can be used at the sametime.. We don't know much of the docking station yet, it's most likely not even a focus item for EvilDragon and GTA04 yet.. Your reaction to the all this is a bit childish. 

It's not that anyone wouldn't want it if it's possible and personally I'd love to see it. I'd also like to see a 2.5" drive bay for a HDD or SSD which could make use of the eSATA port and slim bay slot for a DVD drive which most likely will have to be USB connected.

I'm not making an analogy to gigabit ethernet here but it would be really handy if for example if instead of the plastic stylus you got with a pandora one of the ends was actually a phillips screwdriver, no one would argue that such a thing would be useless but a line has got to be drawn somewhere on features.
Sorry for continuing off topic, but this has been discussed before.  Were it not for Grench I would still be running around with a plastic stylus.

Is it?  I thought refraction just made it look that way under certain conditions...

I haven't checked, but I have my doubts about your 10Mb comment.  I suspect the price will be the same.  Fast and Gigabit ethernet are both useful and practical, and I would like whatever is the fastest that we can feasibly get without losing some other functionality.  I don't know why you feel they should go for 802.11b since I think the newer stuff is compatible with the older stuff.  I don't feel someone else should make decisions for me with regards to what I do and don't do to my body, but if wifi were dropped entirely I already have a little USB thingy to use (SO THERE, NANNY STATE!)

I was, in fact, planning on not using anything smaller than 32GB sd cards, since I already have them, and wanted to pick up higher capacity ones when they got cheaper.

it's not clear that someone is going to want to regularly transfer 100s of gigabytes to and from it with any regularity in a short period of time, or even use that it if they did; maybe if you're some sort of future cyberpunk Johnny Mnemonic information courier.
I don't really want to go that route, but if it is possible I am interested in knowing how it is being done.

Well you obviously have some bizarre ideas about the read/write speed of SD Cards, sarcasm or not.,
Check post #35.

@rygD

Seriously dude, WTF?!

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]The rest is what Trashy said.[/SIZE]

Thinkpad: I don't know if you noticed, but I never argued against 1G ethernet. I just didn't agree with your statement that 100M ethernet would be useless because there's WLAN. I'd like 1G ethernet in pyra dock, but should it not make it there for some reason I'd rather have 100M ethernet than no ethernet.

What B-ZaR said looks to be true of everyone that has commented on that in this thread.  I didn't read every post, but while skimming through all I saw was:

-Ethernet port, preferably gigabit, but 100 would be OK. Which would take one of the dedicated USB 2.0 ports or one 3.0 port on a hub away - which is OK.
and various people saying they would rather have fast ethernet than no ethernet.  I saw no one saying anything against gigabit.  The simple solution would be to get a usb3/gigabit dongle if the dock only has 100Mbit and you need something faster.  Everything else should still work fine, you just need a hub, or lose a port.

and we do not know how to make backups or what a 128GB SD Card is.
/You/ don't seem to know. Sensible people with large storage mediums do incremental backups with something like rsync where you can be sure the limiting factor will be storage medium R/W speed (unless you just moved over your entire collection of pirated movies since the last backup) when you have 100M network connection speeds.

... but seriously, calm down. Not everyone agrees with you. Get over it.

/You/ don't seem to know.
lol, If you said so.

As it was menoined not everyone will use Pyra only for entertaiment. Yes it will be fun to watch movies and play games on the go, but It will make my life alot easier for both my day and side jobs. My plan is to get 2 or even 3 docking stations, and yes, 1G Ethernet is esential for my needs and 100M will be compleatly useless.

If this pain could be resolved by a simple dongle - Fine, but IMO the right aproach is to just make it 1G out of the box, and forget about it.

Did I manage to "Get over it" ?

Edit: pirated Movies ? what about large image files ? or entire VM Machines ?

/You/ don't seem to know.
lol, If you said so.

As it was menoined not everyone will use Pyra only for entertaiment. Yes it will be fun to watch movies and play games on the go, but It will make my life alot easier for both my day and side jobs. My plan is to get 2 or even 3 docking stations, and yes, 1G Ethernet is esential for my needs and 100M will be compleatly useless.

If this pain could be resolved by a simple dongle - Fine, but IMO the right aproach is to just make it 1G out of the box, and forget about it.

Did I manage to "Get over it" ?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they should choose 100 over 1GB if the drawbacks are negligible. Getting parts just really is that big of an issue when you're dealing with such low volumes, what can be a minor difference for the majority of end users can be a major supply and cost issue when it comes to manufacturing and finding suppliers.

You keep claiming that 1GB ethernet is essential for you but can you tell us exactly and specifically why that is? What's the specific scenario or job you have in mind that Fast Ethernet is completely useless for? I'm genuinely interested.

This thread has devolved into silliness.
53368971.jpg

Anyone seriously working with large files, no matter whether it's vms or movies has a decent differential backup system already set up and can easily adapt it to work with a new Linux device. It will work more reliably and for more people with 100M ethernet than with W-LAN. No one is debating it will work better with 1G than with 100M, but I /am/ debating the difference is so large as to make 100M ethernet useless.
Anyone who really regularly needs to move around hGBytes under time pressure will have some device with storage faster and larger than SD cards and probably at least 10G Ethernet. Pyra isn't for those people (unless to control the other device).

Umm. I just the Pyra dock to be able to charge batteries.. that'd be handy.

I suppose it depends how you envision using it. If you want to use the Pyra as a desktop replacement then having the USB3OTG port in Host mode and connecting it to a USB3 hub and a gigabit ethernet port makes sense.

If you'll be using the dock to interface directly with a desktop machine then it makes more sense (to my mind) to leave the OTG port in device mode. If I'm transferring data directly between my computer and the Pyra I may as well make use of the full bandwidth of a SuperSpeed USB Networking connection rather than limiting myself to just a gigabit of bandwidth.

I'd therefore like to see something switchable so that you can use the dock either way, with the hub acting as a USB 2 HUB and the Ethernet port in 100M mode when the dock is set in device mode.

- Neelix

Back