Pyra, low specs and high price. Dead before it even releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
blaa blaa would only want one if was free and then just to sell and use the cash to buy my pyra

1440P is a lot for a mobile screen, and that's a good thing
it's a good thing for kids like you who like big shiny numbers and who are unable to comprehend such resolution is completely useless on such a small screen. But hey, i'd say your 1440p is shite because you should have 8k on your mobile phone man, why are you happy with 1440p ?  

If the pixel density gets so high you can't even perceive the individual pixels, that is when the screen is best, and going further would be pointless.

I'm not sure if 1440P on a 5" inch screen is at that point yet, but 720P definitely is not, and more than 4K would most likely be the end for small screens until we get bionic eye upgrades.

I also recall a Citra thread on here, and you all shot it down. If the Pyra had specs that can compete it just might be able to emulate 3DS, and a 720P display just isn't good enough for emulating the 3DS, especially if you want to up the internal resolution.
Bro, do yourself a favour and get yourself an nVIDIA Shield 2 ¶ortable when it comes out.

1440p vs 720p on a 5" (diagonal, wide) screen? http://isthisretina.com/should show that 720p is sufficient for all those that adopt a reasonable usage posture (i.e., the device is more than 30cm from one's face).

The Galaxy S6 is already here. It's roughly the same price the Pyra will be, but it's significantly stronger.

1440P vs 720P screen, 3GB DDR4 RAM vs 2GB RAM, A57 and A53 dual quad core CPUs vs dual A15 quad core CPUS, etc, etc.

And there are controller attachments out there to give phones real game controls.

Plus the Galaxy S6 at $600-$700 is roughly the same price as what the Pyra is estimated to be.

Overall, the Pyra will just be dead upon release unless it gets serious spec upgrades. I was hyped when I heard that the Pandora was getting a successor, but it just seems like it'll be a major disappointment.
The desktop PC is already here. It's roughly the same price as the Galaxy S6 or the Pyra, but it's significantly stronger.

And there are controller attachments out there to give PCs real game controls!

- - -

You see where your reasoning breaks down? The Pandora/Pyra is a niche device where the point is that a real, physical keyboard and real, physical game controls are built-in. Sure, a smartphone plus an external keyboard plus external game controls offers the same functionality at roughly the same price. Just not nearly as convenient.

Also I don't think you'll find a smartphone with 2-3 SD slots, 2-3 USB ports and a HDMI port. Or a smartphone that runs a real GNU/Linux, so it runs all the FOSS software you can run on your laptop or desktop pc, not just Android fart apps and other Google ad client software. Or a smartphone with a battery life like that. Or a smartphone with a homebrew community bigger than that of some major consoles. Etc, etc.

Damn, he's right and I'll put a stop in the Pyra development right away!

With the Samsung Galaxy S6, it will be really easy to run your favourite productivity tools like LibreOffice and use it as mobile office!

You're missing a keyboard? Naaah, forget about it! With 1440p, the virtual keyboard doesn't need to take much space on the screen - you just need small enough fingers!

With its 2550mAh battery, it will surely last a lot longer than the Pyra with the 6000mAh battery.

The built-in development system will make it a breeze to code and compile your Galaxy S6 options on-the-go, and the excellent built-in Window Manager will help you organize your windows on the screen so you can see all the important details at once!

And what's best: If it becomes outdated in a few years, I'm sure you can buy the latest processor pack for about 100 EUR and upgrade it to be the fastest once again - and of course, if something breaks, you can easily buy replacement parts from Samsung and repair your phone as well (once you remove all the glue that keeps things together...)

Ah well :)

Seriously, the Pyra is not a smartphone and a smartphone is not a miniature PC.

1440p vs 720p on a 5" (diagonal, wide) screen? http://isthisretina.com/should show that 720p is sufficient for all those that adopt a reasonable usage posture (i.e., the device is more than 30cm from one's face).
Ah, well, Apples Retina definition. Take a 1080p and 720p 5" display and show it to 100 people. 95% will not spot a difference, the remaining ones when they look very closely. 

Look at how long the Pandora has lasted, for having the approximate specs of an iPhone 4. This community is home to some very unique and groundbreaking projects. glshim. Uplink. Minecraft. DraStic. Starcraft. Everything by MH-T. We've reached an insane level of porting, which even includes many closed-source titles these days.
The demand still is there!

At least 3 - 4 people ask for a 1GHz each week. So once we got the LCD cables back, the remaining units will probably be sold pretty fast as well.

Lets travel back in time, to avoid the Pandora to become a real Produkt, because every smartphone at this time was better than the Pandora..

(Wrote on a Galaxy Note 2,)

Plus the Galaxy S6 at $600-$700 is roughly the same price as what the Pyra is estimated to be.
Already did
Dude, if specs are all that matter to you then I've got news for you: you got ripped off. Hard. Like "bent over using sand as lube" hard.For $700 I can build you a desktop PC, complete with 21" 1440p screen, that blows the Galaxy S6 out of the water. The S6 is so outdated compared to what you can build as a desktop, why you would even consider mobile devices with such tiny RAM and weak CPUs is beyond me.

Oh, what's that? You're thinking that I'm an idiot because obviously a mobile phone and a desktop are two completely different things, that you can't compare the two because, while techinically true, obviously the mobile phone brings features (specifically portability) that make the extra cost extremely valuable. There you go, you're brain is latching onto the reason why you can't compare a mobile phone with the Pandora nor Pyra: they have a different (albeit overlapping) feature set, and many people consider the features that the Pandora/Pyra bring, features that you cannot get in the mobile phone market, to be worth the premium.

Now that you've been sufficiently educated, kindly see yourself to the door, there's not much more here for you. You came, you trolled, you got your reaction, we all had a good laugh, but it's kind of boring seeing the same misinformation time and again. We've had this "argument" probably a dozen times in the last year alone. If you really want to shock us, try being more original in the future.

Thanks.

High density screens are more of an experimental technology, and several of the high DPI panels available suffer from chromatic aberration and image burn-in
Do they?  I thought image burn in was a result of using phosphors to create the light, which even 1080p screens don't do, and chroma abberation requires colours to be spread to the wrong pixels, which sounds like an addressing issue which would affect images drastically.  How do you suspect these issues come about in these LCD panels?

Of course I'm happy with 720p on such a small screen, which I won't be holding too close to my eyes anyway if I want to be able to reach the controls comfortably, especially if it means better battery life and better performance.  I was mostly happy with the Pandora's 480p screen, except when it came to ported software which had windows which were too tall.  It strikes me that you get ever decreasing returns above a certain point, having looked at modern phone screens that barely showed me any more discernible sharpness and fine detail (except out of doors, where my Pandora's screen sucks!)

TROLL!!!

Obviously this is not the device for you.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

person complaining about having too big pixels on their monitors
I do have big red pixels on my screen... right after eating spaghetti.

KZHit7W.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Troll: "I'm an idiot"

Victim: "What an idiot"

Troll: ((jokes on them, I'm not actually an idiot, lol))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back