Pyra prototypes?

I'm known to be hard on electronics. They often fall to the ground, get stepped on, etc.

I'm not really careful. And I plan to carry it around all the time  :)
I always think of that picture of you sitting with your Pandora in your back pocket and wonder "How?", because I doubt mine could handle that.  The crack in my case happened with nearly no external pressure.  I know the quality of Pandora cases is highly inconsistent.  I hope for much more from the Pyra cases.  Maybe a softer, less brittle, plastic (I have seen this discussed a couple, now I just need to find the threads).
EvilDragon's Pandora is cased in a blue shell ;)
If blue makes it more durable I guess I want a blue Pyra...

Yes in Cargo Pokets, but unlike some scratches and some outpopped SD Card it ditnt get harmed that much..

The Clamshell protekt the Screen werry good
Scratches and such re fine as long as the case doesn't crumble and stop protecting the guts.  I stopped putting valuables and electronics in cargo pockets long ago since every time stuff hit a chair or desk that I walked by I would worry that they got damaged, and because of how I sit things sometimes fall out, even with the flap fastened over it (unless the object is large enough, or the pocket is full, which makes it more likely to hit things).

I've also dropped my pandora accidentally in the snow, ice down stairs, cement out of  car door onto a tile floor
WTF?  I know there should probably be commas, but without them what you are doing sounds...interesting.

Yes there's supposed to be commas but a lot of it happens via falling out of my coat pocket or flying off of the bed because of certain activities. My pandora has survived at least 27 falls off of the bed onto the hard concrete floor.  :mellow:   Actually come to think of it two of the snow ones happened because of the same activites and so did the title floor.  :blink:

I've also dropped my pandora accidentally in the snow, ice down stairs, cement out of  car door onto a tile floor
WTF?  I know there should probably be commas, but without them what you are doing sounds...interesting.

Yes there's supposed to be commas but a lot of it happens via falling out of my coat pocket or flying off of the bed because of certain activities. My pandora has survived at least 27 falls off of the bed onto the hard concrete floor.  :mellow:   Actually come to think of it two of the snow ones happened because of the same activites and so did the title floor.  :blink:
but what about cement out of a car door onto a tile floor?  wouldn't the cement protect it as it fell out the door onto the tiles?

but what about cement out of a car door onto a tile floor?  wouldn't the cement protect it as it fell out the door onto the tiles?
Actually it did fall out of the parked car door onto the curb, then onto brick.. so I suppose that statement wasn't entirely inaccurate.   And no the cement doesn't protect anything :blink:  Cement broke my first pandora. :ph34r:

Wow, you people are hard on your devices. My pandora could've probably had a glass case and still be as intact.

Honestly, you people should put these stories in spoiler tags with warnings. I cringe reading these stories.

Wow, you people are hard on your devices. My pandora could've probably had a glass case and still be as intact.
I usually protect my electronics and stuff now in a case with padding.  In the past I have had items I needed or wanted to use in fairly unpleasant conditions and locations, and I came to appreciate durability (even if I still worried about tough items in my pocket getting smashed against stuff when I walked into an office).  Most of the rough treatment my stuff encountered was not by my own mistreatment, but by others, sometimes when they would have to pack or transport it for me since I would not be returning to a location.  That is also why I started using the cases I do.

For me, it is completely pointless to have a portable device that can't be carried or used in most places I go.  If I only planned on using them at home I wouldn't have a use for most of them.

I guess with the right kind of glass (and some case design changes to better suit the glass) my Pandora would be in better condition than it is.  It has been protected most of the time it was not in use due to what I had read about the plastic/case issues prior to purchasing it.

Sure, I lug it around. I've had it at music festivals, long train rides, road trips and bike trips. I guess I'm just careful :p

Sure, I lug it around. I've had it at music festivals, long train rides, road trips and bike trips. I guess I'm just careful :p
My crack was not due to abuse on my part.  The clip to the right of the display slipped out a bit and pushed on the outer edge of the lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still for an "rugged" design, it just can't be tough enough!   B)

Rugged_Android_Phone_with_ULKooZbE.JPG.thumb_400x400.jpg

Most of the falls aren't even my fault... I've noticed pockets have a tendency of having the pandora just slip out when sitting, and honestly its not like i'm going around bouncing my pandora off the ground when ever it falls I have a mini heart attack.. my first case broke because of inner bezel not wanting to stay flat which caused stress which then cracked and eventually had a chip fall out of the edge around it.

I wish I had the ability to make sure these accidents never occur, but sadly I don't seem too. The unexpected crap always seems to happen.But realistically the world isn't made up of people who don't drop things which they use daily. if that was the case then the case for the pandora wouldn't have issues. I'm still confused on how people can have their systems for years and not have the silver paint wear off. My paint started wearing off in 3 weeks.

my first case broke because of inner bezel not wanting to stay flat which caused stress which then cracked and eventually had a chip fall out of the edge around it.
Sounds a bit like what happened with mine.

I'm still confused on how people can have their systems for years and not have the silver paint wear off. My paint started wearing off in 3 weeks.
My guess is their use causes less rubbing and scraping (so maybe they aren't putting them in pockets).  Most of my paint is still present, however if you look closely you can see where the paint has been scratched down to bare plastic, and other places where there is wear.  Most of the time mine has been transported in a padded case (Pelican 1150), and didn't move around much, so most of the wear is on the bottom from putting it down on tables and desks.  I can still see places where it has rubbed on all sides.  When it was in a pocket it was usually in a soft bag to prevent the paint from rubbing off so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing using it for gaming means limited hand movements, and fewer keyboard strokes. I thumb type on the pandora which means my hands are usually sliding all over the back and the shoulders are constantly being tapped. (Shift and control) the fact the keymat is no longer smooth shows something. Its still solid which is why I love typing on a pandora. Even this laptop I'm using now the keys are buckling over to one side or the other. Things get unique after awhile.. I've had keys fly off of laptops due to me typing. So needless to say I'm not easy on devices that I use to type on, because the number of words I type and the the amount of time I do them in are both HIGH. Thats why I'm happy to have the pyra keyboard be the best it can be. 

So yeah if you want somebody to wear out the pyra's keyboard I'm your guy...or manage to it drop it down a carnival slide ride. :blink:

I'm guessing using it for gaming means limited hand movements, and fewer keyboard strokes. I thumb type on the pandora which means my hands are usually sliding all over the back and the shoulders are constantly being tapped. (Shift and control) the fact the keymat is no longer smooth shows something. Its still solid which is why I love typing on a pandora. Even this laptop I'm using now the keys are buckling over to one side or the other. Things get unique after awhile.. I've had keys fly off of laptops due to me typing. So needless to say I'm not easy on devices that I use to type on, because the number of words I type and the the amount of time I do them in are both HIGH. Thats why I'm happy to have the pyra keyboard be the best it can be. 

So yeah if you want somebody to wear out the pyra's keyboard I'm your guy...or manage to it drop it down a carnival slide ride. :blink:
I thumb type on mine most of the time, but it is quicker and easier for me to move my thumbs across the keyboard  instead of using the shoulders.  My keys are sorta trashed (sometimes I push with nails instead of tips).  I usually hold it on the sides, not quite squeezing, and don't really hold the back too much.

Get yourself a proper damn keyboard, especially if you are doing a lot of typing.  Just get a cheap buckling spring or other mechanical one.  It will (probably) last longer and feel better than using a laptop keyboard.  If you don't care about all that, maybe try laptops with chiclet keyboards.

I am looking forward to the improvements made with the Pyra keyboard, and am waiting for anything anyone can share about it after prototypes are made since it may still be a while until I get my hands on one.

I thumb type on mine most of the time, but it is quicker and easier for me to move my thumbs across the keyboard  instead of using the shoulders.  My keys are sorta trashed (sometimes I push with nails instead of tips).  I usually hold it on the sides, not quite squeezing, and don't really hold the back too much.

Get yourself a proper damn keyboard, especially if you are doing a lot of typing.  Just get a cheap buckling spring or other mechanical one.  It will (probably) last longer and feel better than using a laptop keyboard.  If you don't care about all that, maybe try laptops with chiclet keyboards.

I am looking forward to the improvements made with the Pyra keyboard, and am waiting for anything anyone can share about it after prototypes are made since it may still be a while until I get my hands on one.
Yeah on a laptop I've stopped writing my stories entirely on them.  It's not comfortable. It's to lay down relax on a bed and just Type away on a pandora, set it down on my chest and sometimes use the laptop for research... Honestly I prefer the pandora keyboard to my laptop keyboards. I like how the pandora is small and can be used anywhere a DS or a phone could which is nice, and not having it be tethered to a wall or burn your chest in half is also a plus.

I use my pandora strictly for typing now and honestly I feel the money I've spent on three of them was all worth it. I've gotten pretty damn good at speed with the pandora's keyboard. The only thing that really slows me down is the fact that the latest version of libreoffice swapped everything around on me and I can't for the life of me figure out how to change it back to what I'm used to. But even then that'll take me a tiny bit to get used too. I'm hoping that with the prototype pyra's I could get one and type the living hell out of it.

Yeah on a laptop I've stopped writing my stories entirely on them.  It's not comfortable. It's to lay down relax on a bed and just Type away on a pandora, set it down on my chest and sometimes use the laptop for research... Honestly I prefer the pandora keyboard to my laptop keyboards. I like how the pandora is small and can be used anywhere a DS or a phone could which is nice, and not having it be tethered to a wall or burn your chest in half is also a plus.

I use my pandora strictly for typing now and honestly I feel the money I've spent on three of them was all worth it. I've gotten pretty damn good at speed with the pandora's keyboard. The only thing that really slows me down is the fact that the latest version of libreoffice swapped everything around on me and I can't for the life of me figure out how to change it back to what I'm used to. But even then that'll take me a tiny bit to get used too. I'm hoping that with the prototype pyra's I could get one and type the living hell out of it.
I tolerate the Pandora keyboard.  I prefer a keyboard where I can use my fingers over any thumb keyboard I have used so far.

Maybe you should take into consideration these laptops you are buying, as I am noticing a pattern that kinda suggests to me they aren't that great.  With the most recent one I picked up, cheap and used, I don't have any of the gripes that I would have had along the same lines as what you say with most others I have owned, which were typical mid-range things.  It has a pretty good keyboard, it is small (although nowhere close to as small as a Pandora), has pretty good battery life with a used stock battery (5 or 6 hours, should get a bit closer to Pandora times with the extended battery) and it doesn't get too warm with general use (currently Firefox with 13 tabs, LibreOffice Writer with a short document I am working on, a calculator, and kate, a text editor, that I opened yesterday for some reason and never closed. 

But if the Pandora is working for you as you want, stick with it.  I just feel a bit limited when trying to do some things.  Notice my browser tab count.  This usually starts with only a couple tabs, and things slow down too much to be usable if I go over a couple on my Pandora.  Not being so limited on browser tabs and being able to easily do heavy multitasking with no slow downs are some of what I am looking forward to most with the Pyra.  Higher screen resolution will probably be nice, but the small size will still probably prevent me from having a bunch of stuff on screen at once, although multiple desktops/workspaces, or whatever they are called, are how I typically deal with bouncing back and forth when working with a bunch of stuff at the same time.

I tolerate the Pandora keyboard.  I prefer a keyboard where I can use my fingers over any thumb keyboard I have used so far.

Maybe you should take into consideration these laptops you are buying, as I am noticing a pattern that kinda suggests to me they aren't that great.  With the most recent one I picked up, cheap and used, I don't have any of the gripes that I would have had along the same lines as what you say with most others I have owned, which were typical mid-range things.  It has a pretty good keyboard, it is small (although nowhere close to as small as a Pandora), has pretty good battery life with a used stock battery (5 or 6 hours, should get a bit closer to Pandora times with the extended battery) and it doesn't get too warm with general use (currently Firefox with 13 tabs, LibreOffice Writer with a short document I am working on, a calculator, and kate, a text editor, that I opened yesterday for some reason and never closed. 

But if the Pandora is working for you as you want, stick with it.  I just feel a bit limited when trying to do some things.  Notice my browser tab count.  This usually starts with only a couple tabs, and things slow down too much to be usable if I go over a couple on my Pandora.  Not being so limited on browser tabs and being able to easily do heavy multitasking with no slow downs are some of what I am looking forward to most with the Pyra.  Higher screen resolution will probably be nice, but the small size will still probably prevent me from having a bunch of stuff on screen at once, although multiple desktops/workspaces, or whatever they are called, are how I typically deal with bouncing back and forth when working with a bunch of stuff at the same time.
I destroy mid range laptop's keyboards easily. They become warped after a few months of typing usage on me. Netbooks become potato chips.  I have a keyboard I extracted from a netbook I took apart that was warped like a smiley face just from the constant typing. The key faces themselves were worn smooth.  Even on this laptop I have here I can already feel the process of the keyboard wearing away.  The spacebar has a nice polished spot already and many of the keys are getting that polished look now.

You really need a decent real keyboard if you are damaging laptops like that (or just don't pound on 'em so hard.  And I thought I was rough on keyboards).

Back