Python And Pygame

DasFool

I've started learning Python along with Pygame recently and am having an enjoyable experience with them. I was wondering what the chances are of these working/getting ported to the Pandora. From what I've gathered Pygame has something to do with SDL which means SDL will need to be ported to the Pandora beforehand. Would anyone care to enlighten on the topic?

Links to Python:
http://www.python.org/

and Pygame:
http://www.pygame.org/

We do have Python and PyGame for the GP2X, so I would hope the chances are pretty good to get this on the Pandora. It is just a matter of who and when.

I've put this in my application for a developer unit, so if it's accepted it might even be part of the standard image. The only moderately tricky thing will be OpenGL-ES support, but it's no fun if there's not a challenge right :)

theoddbot said:
I've put this in my application for a developer unit, so if it's accepted it might even be part of the standard image. The only moderately tricky thing will be OpenGL-ES support, but it's no fun if there's not a challenge right :)
Holy shit, maybe I've been hanging around in the wrong forums here, but long time no see. Glad to hear you're planning on porting Python/Pygame (with OpenGL ES!) to the Pandora, I was hoping someone would. It's such a fun language to code in and it should hopefully perform pretty good with the Pandora's extra horsepower. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
theoddbot said:
Here's you a starting point to look at and see what comes of it:

http://www.unrealvoodoo.org/hiteck/projects/maemo/ :D

theoddbot said:
Excellent new, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get one then :)

Hmm, I thought pygame only officially supported software acceleration or am I mistaken?

DasFool said:
Hmm, I thought pygame only officially supported software acceleration or am I mistaken?
Pygame itself is 2D, but you can use it to set up an OpenGL context and use pyOpenGL for drawing. It will (hopefully) work the same way with OpenGL-ES.

I was wondering if anyone has used Pyglet. I have written a couple games in C++ and would like to take a stab at Python and was wondering which module would be best, Pygame or Pyglet?

(Theres a great 40min video on google video that discusses Pyglet game development, if anyone is interested, just search for "pyglet pinata")

rockthekazzba said:
I was wondering if anyone has used Pyglet. I have written a couple games in C++ and would like to take a stab at Python and was wondering which module would be best, Pygame or Pyglet?

(Theres a great 40min video on google video that discusses Pyglet game development, if anyone is interested, just search for "pyglet pinata")
Cheers for the info on Pyglet. I've just started looking at Python and that looks like a good way to go.
The video's interesting and gives a good overview of how a game is built up, thanks :)

Pyglet is for python what SDL is for C mostly. And it's pretty cool.
Even though it's pure python and uses native libraries through ctypes, it would probably need some porting to GL ES.

Is anybody thinking about porting wxPython (the Python's port of wxWidget)?

I'm programming a PC application which uses Python + wxPython and would be great if it would also work in Pandora (with a few changes).

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
Is anybody thinking about porting wxPython (the Python's port of wxWidget)?

I'm programming a PC application which uses Python + wxPython and would be great if it would also work in Pandora (with a few changes).
I can't think of a reason it would need any porting, but I may be wrong.

synkro said:
RubySDL, anyone?
After SDL and opengl es get sorted out.

along with python and pygame, i'm hoping for pygtk, so i can port across some of my python apps to the pandora :)

On a somewhat unrelated note. I really like using scalable vector graphics (SVG) for developing graphic elements for my programs. However, many of the packages and modules I develop with do not support SVG so I have to export to bmp or png. I have found very little information on SVG and Python (specifically for use in games, not data analysis), or for SDL (need an additional module to support).

I found this article at svg.org. Its a brief press release saying ARM is optimizing an SVG library for their processors. I was wondering if this is relevant to the Pandora. It seems that SVG could be a great graphics platform for developing games for the Pandora (smaller footprint?, better graphics?) but have seen relatively little references to SVG here in the forums.

FYI, Im a noob, and a self-taught programmer. Ive always been curious why SVG hasn't taken off in terms of popularity?

rockthekazzba said:
On a somewhat unrelated note. I really like using scalable vector graphics (SVG) for developing graphic elements for my programs.
I ran into a problem regarding this just a few hours ago with pygame. I was scaling a graphic progressively and it started being pretty processor and memory intensive. Coming from a Flash background, this wasn't something I'm used to. I agree, a vector environment would be nice, Silverlight perhaps?

Anything related to mono is usually a bad idea. And slow.

I haven't worked with SDL much, so I don't know if Cairo is usable with it. Give it a try. If it's only twice as slow as Qt, it might do the job.

Anybody have a suggestion on what framerate I should program pygame applications at if I'm planning on running them on the pandora? I'm thinking 30 to be safe.

DasFool said:
I'm making my newest game at the pandora resolution let's hope the conversion goes simple and fast. :)

Anyone ever play The Typing of the Dead?

You don't mean you want to create a TOTD-esque game AND port it to the pandora, do you? B)

Back