GP2X Python, Hwsdl And Gpu940

Julius

Website
freegamearts.tuxfamily.org
Ok I finally decided to give programming another try (after some halfarsed Java attempts a few years ago) and this time it is going to be the glorius language that is Python (or at least that's what my impression of it is so far). Mainly because I want to use it for PC stuff (Blender scripts etc), but I thought programming a simple GP2X game would be a nice exercise.

But here are my qestions:

1. Does the latest version of Python/Pygame for the GP2X use the hardware accelerated SDL lib? And does it so automaticly? (= I just install the GP2X python and write a little program for it, and automagically everything is hw accelerated?)

2. Since I suck at pixelart, but am pretty confident about my 3D art skills, is it possible to use something like this http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ to link the GP2X python to the GPU940? And how would it be done / is it even feasable to do? (or is python so slow on the GP2X that it really wouldn't make sense to try anything 3D even with really low polycounts? )

Thanks for your help!

Yes the Python builds use the HW SDL (don't use the version I [spacecoyote] made, it sucks).

I want:
A better Python (version 2.5 instead of 2.4)
A simple HW library under a free license
A better HW SDL
SDL for the 940 chip
GPU940 for Python, SDL
etc, etc.

If I have anything to say about it, some of these things will happen, although by the time I get what I want done, Steve Ballmer will have fucking killed(tm) GPH.

Uhh, where can I find a different version than yours? It seems to be the only one in the gp2x.de archive. And what's wrong with it?

Can't really help you with your desires, as I really just started with that stuff and doubt that I will ever get that far ;)

But isn't ryleth working on a HW minimal lib? And what is wrong with the current hwSDL version?

Ok I found that version... but that Beta1 is ancient... it was released even before the first version of the hwSDL was :( Are you sure it really is better than your version?

Would be great if someone would release a updated version with all the nice stuff that is known by now! Please? :D

It is better than mine, and its not older than the hwSDL, hwSDL was on the SVN longer than it has been in the archive.

Back