Update QComicBook 0.9.1

canseco

Very Active Member
QComicBook 0.9.1

preview1.png

QComicBook is a viewer for PDF files and comic book archives containing jpeg/png/xpm/gif/bmp images, which aims at convenience and simplicity. Features include: automatic unpacking of archive files, full-screen mode, continuous scrolling mode, double-pages viewing, manga mode, thumbnails view, page scaling, mouse or keyboard navigation etc.

Changelog

- Initial release.
- Clean up libs to make it compatible with .next OS.
- Changed category from Graphics to Office.
- Compiled libpoppler with new libpng16, loading should be more fast.
- Fix file associations for pdf, cbr, cbz and cbt.
- Compiled with libpoppler 0.24.5, single precision constant optimizations.
- Compiled with libpoppler 0.26. Performance should be better.
- Compiled with 4.8.6 and new libpoppler-qt 0.28.
- Compiled with poppler-qt 0.30 version. Updated libs.
- Changed category from Office to Graphics.
- Compiled with poppler-qt 0.33 version. Updated libs.
- Sources included in src folder.
- Latest git release, compiled with QT 5.5.1
- Updated libs and sources.
- Latest git release, compiled with QT 5.6.0
- Compiled with QT 5.7.0 from latest Codeblocks beta PND.
- Updated libtiff 4.0.6, lcms2 2.8 and poppler 0.46.0.
- Latest beta release from new Gitlab sources.
- Compiled with QT 5.8 from latest Codeblocks beta PND.
- Added xkb keyboard made by _jr_ and integrated by ptitSeb.
- Updated default config, libs and sources.
- Compiled with libpoppler 0.55.

Link to homepage:
http://github.com/stolowski/QComicBook
Link to repo:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=qcomicbook

Last edited:
The only new feature is QT5 support, it took more time to put the correct libs in place than compile it.

Changelog

- Latest git release, compiled with QT 5.6.0

Changelog

- Compiled with QT 5.7.0 from latest Codeblocks beta PND.
- Updated libtiff 4.0.6, lcms2 2.8 and poppler 0.46.0.

Changelog

- Latest beta release from new Gitlab sources.
- Compiled with QT 5.8 from latest Codeblocks beta PND.
- Added xkb keyboard made by _jr_ and integrated by ptitSeb.
- Updated default config, libs and sources.

I have a few comics that can only be read with this program on the Pandora. They are unbearably slow on Comix and YACReader but work very well on QComicBook. QComicBook has only one issue that makes it unusable for me, there is - as far as I can tell - no method to increase or decrease the image easily. The lens isn't a good solution for that tbh..

The methods available to resize the image is 'original size' 'fit width' 'fit height' 'whole page' and 'best fit'
None of them are usable on the small Pandora. Original size makes the comic huge, and the other options the text of the comics become too small.

Is there a method to solve this issue (a hidden feature perhaps)? Or maybe a method to improve efficiency/speed of Comix or YACReader?

I've read a lot of comics on my Pandora, I found comix and YAC to be the best readers for me. I guess your comic files are very high res making the readers sluggish?

@b_o_b QComicbook doesn't have that feature, but with YACReader you could use "+" (Fn+F) and "-" (Fn+D) to make zoom.

What i discovered, even with PDF files, is that if the file contains jpeg files, it would be much slower to load than png images.

I've read a lot of comics on my Pandora, I found comix and YAC to be the best readers for me. I guess your comic files are very high res making the readers sluggish?

I was using comix before and was pretty pleased with it until I tried the comics that gave issues. They work perfectly fine on my N900 so I am now reading them on those. From a hardware perspective Pandora should be at least as capable...

@b_o_b QComicbook doesn't have that feature, but with YACReader you could use "+" (Fn+F) and "-" (Fn+D) to make zoom.

What i discovered, even with PDF files, is that if the file contains jpeg files, it would be much slower to load than png images.

Ok, too bad

YACReader and Comics work similar. I tried them both for other comics and work perfectly fine for most. I was hoping that default zoom of QComicBook could be adjusted with something like adjusting a config file because this seems to be the fastest of them all.
QComicBook is quite capable but unfortunately only missing one essential feature.

One of the comics I have issues with indeed contains jpeg files : res. 2480x1552 px (CBR file) but another CBR file with jpeg files works fine and has a res. of 2200x1166
There might be some optimized compressing going on in the affected comics, because the pics with the highest resolution are smaller (309kb for 2480x1552 px vs 573 kb for 2200x1166)

BTW - the comic reader for Maemo that works well with the troublesome files is cbrpager
A very basic reader but gets the job done and might be nice to have for our Pandora as well.

BTW2 - source to cbrpager files can be found here.
After reading the install document I don't think it is depending on some non-standard libraries so it might be a pretty straightforward compile.

Last edited:
Compiled cbrpager (used codeblocks) without any problem (just ./compile, make, make install) and works on Pandora. Seems pretty fast as expected and is able to open de cbr files.
I tried to install cbrpager on slackware as well, but there cbrpager missed some buttons and I couldn't open the cbr file.

Out of the box cbrpager is not using the keyboard buttons that are needed for navigating. The gui doesn't provide a tool to update the bindings, so probably need to check if a config file is used and can be updated.
The zoom in zoom out feature is working fine though, so if I can make the keyboard shortcuts work then cbrpager should be a nice alternative for Comix/YACReader

Changelog

- Compiled with libpoppler 0.55.

@b_o_b Good to know you found a good alternative, but i have enough packages to care about, and i see you are already half way to make a package.

Good to know you found a good alternative, but i have enough packages to care about, and i see you are already half way to make a package.

Sure - no problem, your work is appreciated and it is up to you what you like to work on.
Anyway thanks for the encouragement, but I don't think I am even close to the 'half way mark to make a package' :)

Might give it a try when I have some more free time though.

Back