Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

The only way someone could beat this for the Rebirth comp is coming out with a 100% legal working port of playable Skyrim.

Dohohohhohohoho

The only way someone could beat this for the Rebirth comp is coming out with a 100% legal working port of playable Skyrim.

Dohohohhohohoho
No offense, but comments like these ruin the compo to my opinion. I do love this project, but I really hope that many other devs are still motivated enough to submit something.

Edit: On the other hand I admit that this project has the potential to become a system seller, which I do think has to be acknowledged by ED and Craig. Is there anything left in the dev-fund?

If not I'll be willing to donate some €s separately from the compo, since this is almost out of competition to me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dohohohhohohoho
No offense, but comments like these ruin the compo to my opinion. I do love this project, but I really hope that many other devs are still motivated enough to submit something.

I was going to port a new shooter-thing to the Pandora and enter that, but there's no point now so I'll not bother - QEmu is going to take this compo by storm and there's no point trying!

D.

So it's only worth entering for the gold medal? There are Pandoras up for grabs for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places, and prizes down to 7th place. Qemu can only have one of those spots. And who says it will win? Who knows what might be happening off the radar? Seems like a terrible reason not to be entering!

Of course, if you plan to port [insert thing] anyway and simply choose not to pressure yourself with a comp deadline, then great. :) Otherwise it's a bit weird to see a coding comp discourage people from coding.

I want to see entries great and small. Every one is important. :)

PLEASE, enter into the conpo, what you planned to.

We try to make qemu work as expected, but there are still some problems, that I may not be able to address with my limited skills.

Although it is already very usable, things like the touchscreen do only work correctly, if you can install usbsupport in the guest system etc.

These things might get fixed after the compo, if someone has a deeper look and can supply patches for it.

We have some time left, so maybe we can figure it out, but who knows, if what we will end up with at the end of the compo will please people.

I think there is a BIG chance for everyonewho enters the compo to win.

PLEASE DON'T LOOSE YOUR FAITH IN YOUR OWN PROGRAMS, PORTS, WHATEVER BECAUSE OF THIS!

I was going to port a new shooter-thing to the Pandora and enter that, but there's no point now so I'll not bother - QEmu is going to take this compo by storm and there's no point trying!
You should definately do it.

I am liking what I'm seeing on QEMU. Will the guest OS be allowed to access the Pandora's networking interface?

Edit: Bluetooth?

Sorry, but as great as QEmu seems, I guess getting a great DSP accelerated video player or some other really usefull application like that might still compete for the first place...

and as meantionned there's lot of prizes...

You should definately do it.

I am liking what I'm seeing on QEMU. Will the guest OS be allowed to access the Pandora's networking interface?

Edit: Bluetooth?

Thats one more "under construction" item, but we would like to figure it out.

Bluetooth might be a bit tricky, but using network should be possible.

if someone can pull out a android wrapper out of their butt, im sure it would tremble this among the masses

Ooooh, if only...

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

System requirements

• 200 Mhz CPU
  • 32 MB RAM
  • 4 MB VIDEO
  • DirectX ersion 6.1 or higher

WTF !! Is there actually someone who like that "damn ultrabugged tomb raider wannabe without any chance" game ?! :eek:

I have its box on the shelf and I look at it every day with anger... I never finished it, but I tried sooo much.... in every level there was something not working to make you proceed, and I needed always to replay from the previous level to make the game recreate the next map without bugs... but after 6 months of replaying the same levels I was done with it...

Anyway, returning on the thread, I thing that this Qemu project is indeed a great thing, but for now it has some limitation, so it is NOW that there are chances for other projects !! ;)

for example http://pandorawiki.org/TINXL can be a great challenger to me, if someone is working on it (but I think not)

@mcobit:

Any chance of doing a quick test of Jazz jackrabbit (I've heard it doesn't run to well in dosbox)?

(shareware here http://www.dosgamesa.../file/jjrabbit/)

I've been tinkering a bit with openjazz, but if the original is running smoothly on this setup there isn't any need for me to sink anymore time into it (this would be a good thing).

Keep up the good work!

@mcobit:

Any chance of doing a quick test of Jazz jackrabbit (I've heard it doesn't run to well in dosbox)?

(shareware here http://www.dosgamesa.../file/jjrabbit/)

I've been tinkering a bit with openjazz, but if the original is running smoothly on this setup there isn't any need for me to sink anymore time into it (this would be a good thing).

Keep up the good work!

He posted a video of the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 a week or so ago, so I'd assume the first would run okay

https://www.youtube.com/embed/toZKiEAvx3A?feature=oembed

didnt read the whole thread ... but this question just came up ... are you improving qemu itself to gain speed?

didnt read the whole thread ... but this question just came up ... are you improving qemu itself to gain speed?

Good question. What changes has been made to original QEMU to gain more speed on OP? Its not straigth recompilation with disabling some unusefull resource eating stuff, right?

I got some speed by disabling the softwarescaler of qemu (not really needed when the res is lower or equals 640x480)

I wanted to implement notaz sdl for scaling, but that brings some problems, as I mentioned earlier. (Touchscreen not working, because of qemus mouseemulation, no, it is not sdl, and keyboard is not working either, as qemu uses scancodes for keyboardemulation and notaz told me earlier, that his sdl doesn't support them.)

Of course I recompiled and deactivated unuseful stuff first. Other speedimprovdments are hard to do,as it is a machineemulator and frameskip or stuff like that is not easily possible. Even if it was, the rendering is not the bottleneck as far as I can tell. It is the overhead from the os you are running a game with. So this must be reduced. If there is time, i want to try some kind of minilinux with just wine or wine in usermodeemulation, but that may not be finished by the end of the repo, as usermodeemulation on arm seems to be broken right now.

Maybe lowering the samplerate for sound could be an option, I haven't looked into it, but you can do this in quite a few games from the setup.

Touchscreen is working now with the usb-tablet drivers of qemu. Those have to be installed in the guestsystem. But then it is perfect.

We are also documenting how to prepare images for different operating systems and what you should do to optimize them.

I set up a wikipage for this, that will be populated in the next weeks.

Also I made the UI, that includes the most important options etc. for qemu that make sense on pandora and provides a useful default configuration. I will make the softwarescaling optional maybe, if I can't find a working solution with hardwarescaling in time.

Of course the source will be posted with the release, so everybody can start hacking away.

I know I am not the best coder, but I am learning and doing my best here.

Hope you will like what comes out of this. Starcraft is working playable with sound under win95 right now, but we are working on further improvements.

We will also do a closed beta some days later, but first I have to find the time to clean up the ui and add some more options I want to integrate. Of course every betatester can then suggest features to be integrated.

Back