Qemu- Win95 Drivers for 256 colour support

Talonite

Still Fresh
I've finally gotten around to getting 95 running on my Panda to play some old games, but the majority either pester me, or refuse to run due to lack of 256 colour support on the system. From the control pannel, I'm only able to select monochrome or 16-colours (95s default). So what standard drivers is everyone using to play such games? The game I have in mind is "Blade Runner", I expect it to run reasonably well as all of its animation sequences are pre-renderd, and from then on it's just a top-down view with occasional menu-interactions. Another game I had in mind was SimCity 3000, I know DraStic would be perfectly capable of emulating SimCity DS which basically is a cut down version of 3000, but I'd rather the full experiance :)

So can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks, I'll get those drivers installed then report back how it goes with Blade-Runner! Also, would I be better of getting 98 SE? I have a copy lying around, and wondered if it would run any slower? I much prefer 98 over 95.

Its a Win95 Grafical Driver,
Windows 95 is faster than 98 or 98se.
Happy trying and i recommend Win95B but dont forget the Himem Bug :)

Not familiar with the Himem bug, will look into it.

Well, I downloaded the driver, selected "Install from CD" when going into adapters, I can now change the color-setting to 256 but it requires a restart. Upon restarting, it informs me there was an error with my settings, I'll get the exact error down soon.

There might be another bug, as win95 shoukd have a driver for the cirrus card out of the box iirc.

Did you reinstall the pci bridge stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be another bug, as win95 shoukd have a driver for the cirrus card out of the box iirc.

Did you reinstall the pci bridge stuff?
No, is that necessary?

And it has numerous drivers for the Cirrus, which it had to download off the Win95 iso first. Perhaps I'll try its version of the Cirrus driver.

Thanks for your help and I'll report back on the situation :)

This question isn't related to your problem, but for people running Windows 9X in Qemu,

are you using Rain (http://www.benchtest.com/rain.html) or similar?

I'm sure it would reduce processor/battery usage.
Sure ? Rain is only active if the CPU is in an idle state, which should not be the case very often as one usually will only fire up W9x if a game is meant to be played. Or do I simply don't get what Rain and similiar programs are for ?

Blade Runner is almost playable, character animations are slow moving most of the time and audio stutters every now and again too.  If there was some way of sorting out both of these issues then the game would run really well and at full speed.  FMV sequences like the intro play very well, I had tingles running down my spine when seeing it for the first time after all these years, then again maybe it was more because I was playing it on my Pandora :) It looks great on the Pandora's screen! :D

I heard of RAIN before, but I had a smiliar impression as Thatgui.

I'll try out the Cirus drivers tonight, and great to know someone else loves that game fatman :D Made my day reading someone had already attempted it. Fortunately audio worked fine right after install, though I found it was a bit jittery so I'll disable acceleration as suggested by ingoreis.

Back