QEmu ARM->x86
----------
QEmu x86->ARM
----------
Linux
----------
Physical PC
Much too complicated.

Windows Program / Wine / Qemu-userspace x86-ARM / Linux / Hardware was the method debated here.
I was under the impression he wanted to get a performance estimate.
IFF the qemu which simulates an ARM on the x86 delivers the perfomance of around a 600MHz ARM processor, THEN you can see what performance you get if you put an qemu instance on top which emulates x86 on an ARM and which itslefs runs wine and an windows app.

nice idea, I won't do it though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Creature XL said:
sindbad said:
Much too complicated.

That is exactly what I intended ;) Sorry if I was not so clear

Creature XL said:
sindbad said:
IFF the qemu which simulates an ARM on the x86 delivers the perfomance of around a 600MHz ARM processor, THEN you can see what performance you get if you put an qemu instance on top which emulates x86 on an ARM and which itslefs runs wine and an windows app.

nice idea, I won't do it though :)

kattle87 said:
Creature XL said:
sindbad said:
Much too complicated.

I was under the impression he wanted to get a performance estimate.That is exactly what I intended ;) Sorry if I was not so clearYou still don't get it. It's stupid (and I'm not even sure possible) to run two instances on top of each other, when qemu has a userspace translator wrapper, where it only emulates a cpu, not an entire machine.

sindbad said:
You still don't get it. It's stupid (and I'm not even sure possible) to run two instances on top of each other, when qemu has a userspace translator wrapper, where it only emulates a cpu, not an entire machine.
He wants to run Qemu on a PC to emulate an ARM. Then you can estimate how effective it will be running the ARM based Qemu on the Pandora with Wine. In what way does the userspace wrapper help that removes the need to run two instances?

WizardStan said:
sindbad said:
You still don't get it. It's stupid (and I'm not even sure possible) to run two instances on top of each other, when qemu has a userspace translator wrapper, where it only emulates a cpu, not an entire machine.
He wants to run Qemu on a PC to emulate an ARM. Then you can estimate how effective it will be running the ARM based Qemu on the Pandora with Wine. In what way does the userspace wrapper help that removes the need to run two instances?

In the way that there will be one instance emulating ARM and inside it the userspace wrapper + wine running the actual program.

Just leave it be, it won't work at any usable level anyway.

I guess an easier way to try out performance would be running qemu on a 500MHz x86 box, might give an idea of performance of Pandora at 900MHz...

Back