Quake 0.02

woogal

Certified Guru
Website
gp32.sector808.org
0.02 is available at http://gp2x.sector808.org/quake.php

Recompiled with paeryn's SDL which gives a little speed increase (12.2 fps average instead of 11.2), the bug which caused the crash when only using pak0.pak or entering water seems to have gone, and it's now possible to run at different screen resolutions (hardware scaled to fill the screen). Clocking to 250mhz and running at 240x180 should benchmark at around 20 fps.

If you're upgrading don't use the old qlaunch.gpe anymore. It shouldn't be needed, and may even cause problems.

You know this is a tad bit off subject but I find that if you overclock the gp2x to ~266mhz and disable the particle system in quake 2 you get about ~12fps which is actually not too bad. Granted the game runs sexy at 280mhz :) but my unit isn't stable enough at that speed to stay there for long. :{

Thought you'd like to know.

Wolfsclaw posted on Feb 21 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
hehe i just come from playing it about an hour and now a new version's out, hell yeah :)

I've literally just got home after a five hour nightmare train journey, which gave me about two hours on quake! I'm defintiely getting this update on.. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
beanfarmer posted on Feb 21 2006 at 08:09 PM said:
sorry to sound lioke a pleb but is this quake I or II i ask because quake 1 is totally playable for me with no OCing

thanks beanfarmer

Quake I is perfectly playable at lower framerates, unlike some emulators. You notice the frameskip less for some reason. It'll just be even smoother now :)

i think it's because first person shooters are designed to run at different framerates and look ok, whereas 2d console games are made with the assumption that you will be getting a solid 60 fps all the time (even if the console can't catch up, i think they usually just draw the same frame until the new one is ready)

beanfarmer posted on Feb 21 2006 at 03:09 PM said:
sorry to sound lioke a pleb but is this quake I or II i ask because quake 1 is totally playable for me with no OCing

thanks beanfarmer

Sorry Didn't mean to confuse. This IS about the update to Q1 not Q2 but I thought since the only post on the forums about Quake 2 is that its unplayable (and in some respects it still is) Just thought it was relavent to the conversation sorry. :)

Just copied this + paks on SD and it works flawlessly with no problems. :) I was even little surprised how nice it plays even on standard cpu frec.
On the other hand I couldn't manage Duke3d to work. :/

Eso Rimmer posted on Feb 22 2006 at 08:18 AM said:
Just copied this + paks on SD and it works flawlessly with no problems. :) I was even little surprised how nice it plays even on standard cpu frec.
You're probably not using files from a supported version of Duke3D. I had that problem for the longest time, it was only last week that I got my hands on a supported version.

woogal posted on Feb 21 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
0.02 is available at http://gp2x.sector808.org/quake.php

Recompiled with paeryn's SDL which gives a little speed increase (12.2 fps average instead of 11.2), the bug which caused the crash when only using pak0.pak or entering water seems to have gone, and it's now possible to run at different screen resolutions (hardware scaled to fill the screen). Clocking to 250mhz and running at 240x180 should benchmark at around 20 fps.

If you're upgrading don't use the old qlaunch.gpe anymore. It shouldn't be needed, and may even cause problems.

Great release!!

I'm using the default resolution and it's smooooth!

But i'm still usin Gplaunch, as i'm under 1.4.0 i can overclock only through this way.

Really thanks

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

Ravnos posted on Feb 22 2006 at 06:59 PM said:
You're probably not using files from a supported version of Duke3D. I had that problem for the longest time, it was only last week that I got my hands on a supported version.

There's only one unsupported Duke3D Version left ... that's the unofficial 1.7d

god_at_hell posted on Feb 22 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 22 2006 at 06:59 PM said:

There's only one unsupported Duke3D Version left ... that's the unofficial 1.7d
...which is probably what he's using.

ANYWAYS...
this runs 12fps at what, 320x240?

and about the guy that said Quake 2 runs at 12fps with no particle, at a normalish OC, and to Woogal, what speed could we expect from Quake 2 on the GP2X? Is that going to be your next task? I am holding off on getting another new PSP until they come with 1Gig NAND, and Ill be using my GP2X for homebrew, and I would love for Quake2 to run great, or good enough really lol

~Octavious

Back