Quake 1 Addon Maps?

g8rpal

Still Fresh
Does anyone know how to get the quake 1 addon mods / maps to work?

gatorpal said:
Does anyone know how to get the quake 1 addon mods / maps to work?
I'm going to assume you are talking about the "official" add on mods like Scourge of Armagon (Hipnotic) or Dissolution of Eternity (Rogue). I'll use the Hipnotic game as an example:

Put the game files (PAK0.PAK, AUTOEXEC.CFG, config.cfg) specific to that game in a folder. Lets call it "hipnotic" and put that folder in your quake2x folder on your GP2X. Then you need to edit a new .gpe file that launches quake and tells it to use this new folder as the game folder to use instead of the default "id1" folder:

#!/bin/sh
./quake.gpe -game hipnotic

Save that as "hipnotic.gpe" (be sure the file uses UNIX line endings) and put that in your quake2x folder. Then, when you want to play that particular game, launch "hipnotic.gpe" instead of "quake.gpe".

Easy as that.

If you have a .map file you want to launch, make a folder inside the id1 folder called "maps" and put your .map file in there. Then create a special .gpe script to launch quake to use that map:

#!/bin/sh
./quake.gpe -map mymap.map

Quake will automatically look in "id1/maps" for any map file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much! That was very informative. As soon as I get some time, I hope to test some of the user generated freeware mods and maps and will post some here.

Now if I can figure out how to get Duke Nukem to do the same....

gp32_console

Back