Quake 3 Controls Query

Stouffa

So I've got Quake 3 up and running using Quake3 nanoGL but the controls seems to be slightly messed up on my Pandora. The right nub seems to work ok enough, but the mouse movement is really sensitive, but the left nub or the d pad don't seem to be of any use in moving around, in some cases getting stuck going one direction. Am I doing something wrong in my installation and setup of the game? Also, is there any way to use an actual mouse in the game at present?

i would also be happy to know how to fix this horribly fast nubs.

Note : Originally posted in General talk before I'd spotted this topic.

Just tried Quake 3 on the Pandora last night and was blown away by how well it runs.

However controlling it with the nubs is very difficult, to the point that it is unplayable IMHO. This is a real shame as Q3 could be used to show off the true power of the Pandora.

After struggling with the nubs for 20 mins or so I had a brainwave : why not just use a mouse?.

Fired up my bluetooth mouse and no joy, the mouse cursor appears on the screen but it does not have any influence on the game.

It would be great if one of the kind hearted Devs could add an option for mouse control on the Pandora version of Quake3. If anyone else has found a way of configuring Quake 3 to be usable with the Pandora controls, or how to use a mouse with it then please share your methods.

For info I was using this version : Quake 3 Nano GL

@ Stouffa :

Don't touch the left Nub when running Q3 and the DPad will work fine.

That's the little piece of that puzzle sorted, stay far away from the left nub!! Will agree that the sensitivity seems very high, is there any way someone could PND up a version for mouse control??(and maybe Quake 2 if they were on a roll!!)

Probably won't cone as a surprise to anyone but I found out I could lower the sensitivity in the Quake 3 settings menu, makes it much more playable! Still would like to see a version you could play on Pandora using a mouse, is that simply something that could be selected if there was a choice of configuration files on startup?

Stouffa said:
Probably won't cone as a surprise to anyone but I found out I could lower the sensitivity in the Quake 3 settings menu, makes it much more playable!

Does that mean that it`s actually smoothly playable or does it mean it`s more playable but far from fun?
Did you try to join any online servers and did you have a chance against the others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfsclaw said:
Stouffa said:
Probably won't cone as a surprise to anyone but I found out I could lower the sensitivity in the Quake 3 settings menu, makes it much more playable!

Does that mean that it`s actually smoothly playable or does it mean it`s more playable but far from fun?
Did you try to join any online servers and did you have a chance against the others?

Hey.
That does mean, that its more playable but very far from fun ;)
I tried to join any online server, but didn't find anything ):

Last edited by a moderator:
problem is, we've all been spoiled by console shooters and their subtle auto assists!! ;) I didn't try any online efforts, couldn't even get through the first level on the real game! Have been experiencing a weird graphicl glitch where I can see the bot through the wall, but when he comes into the open, he's partially transparent!

Well, that much pretty much reflects the current state of the pandora software development in general: some excellent outstanding software, but mostly half-finished "proof of concept" stuff. Reminds me of 2003'ish GP32 days, when I used to be happy to be playing lufia ii at 15fps on the snes emulator back then (way before opensnes9x came out). I very hope much this will get different when all those Pandoras have been shipped out and we'll relive the gp2x-era :)

Back