Quake - Stuck On Loading Screen

wild_eyed

Website
Visit site
hey, im playing quake and i have the shareware pak, which only allows me to play the first episode, i start the game and run around the introduction part of the game, that lets you select difficulty and then episode, and as i enter episode 1's chamber and enter the portal, the game enteres its loading screen, i.e. loading up the next section, but alas, it nevers leaves the loading screen, any ideas?

Shareware version only have pak0.pak, which you have... the bug prevents the game from working with only that pak.

Only the FULL retail version has both Pak0.pak and Pak1.pak files, but Woogal is still working on it.

You can go to any software stored and look around the used/clearance bins for old copies of Quake for REALLY cheap, or spend a little more and download the full version from www.idsoftware.com.

I can't wait to give this a whirl on the 2X, even if I don't like playing without keyboard and mouse. And I can't wait to see how fast it'll go with full optimization and second processor support.

Reminds me, anyone know how much memory the game allocates for use? With what we have, I think 24 megs would get a faster FPS than 16.

so does this mean that the share ware version which i downloaded, contains pak 0 and 1 in the one pak file? have you been able to fix the bug?
For various reasons I've not been able to work on anything for the last week. Hopefully should be able to start on it again tomorrow though.

Reminds me, anyone know how much memory the game allocates for use? With what we have, I think 24 megs would get a faster FPS than 16.
The amount of memory allocated doesn't effect the speed at all. The amount allocated at the moment is 16 but I think I might lower that as it doesn't really need to be that high. Anyway, 24mb almost certainly isn't available for use (20 might even be a push).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back