• PRBoom

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Quake1

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Quake2

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

forgeflow said:
3. Get the latest Quake II point release (still on your PC or vm) and install it ( http://www.fileplane...-2-Patch-v3.20- )
That's it. If you follow these directions, the game SHOULD show you the id logo on startup, and begin playing the game demos.

Do you need that patch? I didn't use it and it seems to work. Isn't that for network play or is it something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I play with an older version without problems. But perhaps you need the patch for later levels. Afaik forgeflow completed the game on the Wiz...

sbock said:
No, I play with an older version without problems. But perhaps you need the patch for later levels. Afaik forgeflow completed the game on the Wiz...
I am not 100% sure what the final point release does, but it does cause game save files to be incompatible with versions that don't have it, so it must "tweak" some levels somewhere in the game. I tried to give Pickle my game save file mid-game to look at the "crash going from one area to another" issue, but since I had the point release and he didn't he couldn't use my save file.

Anyway, yes, I've finished the game, and I only feel 100% comfortable telling people to do what I know for sure works. Since that's the version I played through, that's what I'm recommending. Will it work without the point release? Probably, but I don't *know* that for certain. :) That's just the way I roll. :p

forgeflow said:
Anyway, yes, I've finished the game, and I only feel 100% comfortable telling people to do what I know for sure works. Since that's the version I played through, that's what I'm recommending. Will it work without the point release? Probably, but I don't *know* that for certain. :) That's just the way I roll. :p
That is pretty impressive that you beat it on the Wiz. I find the controls pretty cumbersome, it was designed for a PC with a keyboard full of keys and a mouse. I find that by the time I hold down a button to tilt up or down to aim, or to strafe I am already dead.

DaveC said:
forgeflow said:
That is pretty impressive that you beat it on the Wiz. I find the controls pretty cumbersome, it was designed for a PC with a keyboard full of keys and a mouse. I find that by the time I hold down a button to tilt up or down to aim, or to strafe I am already dead.
Save often, learn where the bad guys are, and learn to bank grenades around corners. ;) I also saved all of my invincibilities for the final boss battle.

Back