Quake2

kelp7

Still Fresh
Hi,

Just received a GP2X F200 for xmas yesterday!! fantastic and a really nice surprise... i'm nowhere near familiar enough with it yet, but i was interested in the quake2 download (i have quake2 on my pc), i downloaded it and placed the relevant files onto the SD card via USB and have placed the pak files from quake2 on my pc into the baseq2 folder but when i launch the q2launch.gpe from my gp2x the screen just goes blank for a second or so and then returns me to the usual gp2x GUI... i know it's not much to go on but anyone got any tips?

thanks

in my experience, some apps are broken on the f200 and do that.

furthermore, as far as I know, Quake2 was never playable for the '2X... just a wip that never really got anywhere...

otherwise, quake 1 works superbly on the f200 =)

somone should prolly go bout creating a playable quake 2. The biggest drawback is the draw itself. To many polygons. Maps and models can be changed however. The next large problem is ram. But smaller models and maps also help in this area.

Even tho art isnt the solution (the solution is optimizing the code for arm and more specific to GP2X).

I tried quake 2 couple of weeks ago my one gets to main menu and where it says start game none of the buttons start the game does anyone have ideas on that?

The game should get to the main menu there should be 2 files one is qlaunch and other is .gpe file select this file and it should work.

sukhigp said:
I tried quake 2 couple of weeks ago my one gets to main menu and where it says start game none of the buttons start the game does anyone have ideas on that?

The game should get to the main menu there should be 2 files one is qlaunch and other is .gpe file select this file and it should work.
Hmm, i'll try again then... how long does it take for the main menu to appear?

Also, i've been trying to get the Amiga emulator to work as well, but it continually complains of not being able to find "kick.rom" but i've put this file in both the roms folder and the kickstart folder (just in case) both in upper case and in lower case but it still comes up with the same error...arrg...

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote my post when I released Quake2 'too slow to be playable'. If you can't get it working straight away, then you'll almost certainly spend more time trying to get it to work than you will playing it. Quake2's crap anyway. Go play something interesting like Quake1, Doom, or Duke instead. You'll have much more fun. Trust me.

i totally disagree with woogal quake 2 is 3 times better than quake even the pc magazines rated quake 2 better than quake 1, the gp2x f-200 does have a problem it doesn't click anymore there is no way quake 2 will ever work which is really bad i know for a fact loads of guys want to try quake 2, this is really bad and sucks big timer can anyone do anything about it, the vol button use that as click button can anyone do it.

Back