Ok I Tried The Whole Separate Appdata Dir Thing

One feature that is a must have for PND's that I haven't noticed (does it exist?) is to register file associations. Exile works great, except I can't just load any old .pls file by clicking on it in Thunar, since there is no way to associate .pls files with a PND... at least none that I've found.

mindlord said:
One feature that is a must have for PND's that I haven't noticed (does it exist?) is to register file associations. Exile works great, except I can't just load any old .pls file by clicking on it in Thunar, since there is no way to associate .pls files with a PND... at least none that I've found.
It's been discussed and will happen eventually, I'm sure. You can already do it manually, provided the SD card is mounted at the same point. Just set up the file association to call "run_pnd <complete/dir/to/app.pnd>". What needs to be worked out is how to handle it if the pnd is moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, file associations is one of the features I wanted to let peopel mull over and think about before throwing it out there 'rushed'.

ie: several options exist .. the prevalent thought is to have the PXML publish associations (which is defined in PXML already) and have pndnotifyd spit out the .desktop or xml needed for the association, just like it does for pnd based documentation files. (ie: spit out freedesktop standard file association files.) Pretty easy to implement (a couple hours hacking.) ie: associate file .foo to pnd_run /my/foo-handler.pnd

ie:

a .pdf association can just run evince, but if we had epdfview in pnd, it coudl run "pnd_run /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/epdfview.pnd" say (as generated by pndnotifyd when cards insert/eject, so it'd work if card moves around in the slots.) (until such time as we mount by guid or volume-name anyway.)

So yeah, its on the to-do list :)

jeff

One thing I don't like about the PND system at the moment is the necessity of putting PNDs in the /pandora/(menu|desktop|apps) directories.
At the moment, "just copy the file and it works" isn't quite there.

Can nothing be done to reduce the search time over the whole SD?
For example, keeping a cache of known PND paths associated with the card, and only seeking in recently updated directories?
While the filesystem is mounted, it can be watched for creation of files ending in .pnd, and have them added to the cache.
And if a PND is run that isn't in the cache it can be added then. (Just in case something is missed)

Obviously there'd need to be another way of deciding whether stuff was in the menus/on the desktop/both.
I think a simple GUI for this would be good, just a list of PNDs with checkboxes.
Actually I feel like having a go at that with zenity now. :p

Aninhumer -- couple things:

1) You can use subdirs of any search path: ie: /pandora/menu/foo/bar/emus/mame/mame.pnd is fine

2) you can actually specify a list of searchpaths in /etc/pandora/conf/desktop if you edit it; right now its..

10 [menu]

11 searchpath /media/*/pandora/menu:/media/*/pandora/apps:/usr/pandora/apps # path to depth-search for PXMLs and pnd-files

12 dotdesktoppath /usr/share/applications # path for pndnotifyd to spit .desktop files into

13 iconpath /tmp # path for pndnotifyd to drop icons into (can be same as dotdesktoppath if WM permits)

for the menu part; see git: http://git.openpando...1debdc0b03c42e4

So if you want, you could change "searchpath" to include "/" and it'd search the whole card, or make your own directories to search like: /emus:/apps:/foo and thats all fine; it checks all subdirs.

I could add a 'depth limit' so that it only checks 1/2/3/whatever directories deep, which might not make it take so long, starting at /.

Try experimenting with setting your own searchpaths, see if that fills you need.

--

UI's to edit configs has always been somethign tossed around; for now, power users can edit the conf files, and normal users can live with defaults, or perhaps power users will make pnd-files or sh-scriptd that hack conf files for them.

I tried to make it pretty configurable :)

jeff

edit: made a post in Software Mods, to capture this info: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54253-changingadding-search-paths-for-pnd-files-stick-pnd-files-somewhere-else/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back