Question About Smc's...

Jarska333

What do you want?
Website
Visit site
Yup, with every SMC I've bought, there came four metallic stickers, round shaped, and there's even a spot for them on the SMC, clearly marked circle.

Anyone have any idea, what they are for?

Actually also is this true?

Smart media cards are measured in bytes, not bits (8 bits in a byte). So the largest SMC (128) is actually twice the size of your 512mbit flash cart (and plenty big enough for a full movie once you've converted it).

I found it whilst searching the forum and I don't think it makes sense.
Or am I wrong?

leebf posted on Dec 23 2004 at 02:26 PM said:
Actually also is this true?

Smart media cards are measured in bytes, not bits (8 bits in a byte). So the largest SMC (128) is actually twice the size of your 512mbit flash cart (and plenty big enough for a full movie once you've converted it).

I found it whilst searching the forum and I don't think it makes sense.
Or am I wrong?
Makes perfect sense to me 'cos I wrote it ;)

There are 8 bits in a byte, so there are 8 MBits in a MByte. 512/8=64 (convert 512MBits into MBytes)
128=64*2 (so 512MBit is half the size of 128MByte). Console memory is often measured in MBits, and computer memory measured in MBytes. This is probably because console manufacturers assume console users are idiots who like to show off with large meaningless numbers. They are quite correct ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
leebf posted on Dec 23 2004 at 02:55 PM said:
So if I tried to save a 500MB file onto a 512 SD card it wouldn't fit?

I'm confused. Sort of.

Ofcourse it would fit. Flash carts, as used in GBA's, are measured in bits, most other things (like memory, harddisks, flashmemory, etc.) are measured in bytes. So your 512MB SD card would be more then able to cope with a 500MB file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back