Question On Mame Gp2x 2.4

westwoodek

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hey,noobie GP2X user here (does anyone else have a unit with the VOL button fitted upside down ! :blink: )

Been playing about with the mame emu,which rocks.Is it ever likely that there will be a version that will allow save states ?

westwoodek posted on Aug 8 2006 at 09:02 PM said:
Hey,noobie GP2X user here (does anyone else have a unit with the VOL button fitted upside down ! :blink: )

Been playing about with the mame emu,which rocks.Is it ever likely that there will be a version that will allow save states ?

Nope. Save states for MAME are like cheating, only less honest :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
jmetal88 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
westwoodek posted on Aug 8 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
(does anyone else have a unit with the VOL button fitted upside down ! :blink: )

:lol: GPH make me laugh!

At least it isn't a problem you would care about, some people have more pronounce and dire problems....

but ditto! :lol:

I use savestates all the time on the pc mame.Black tiger for example,when I complete a level I save state it,just in the same way that any modern game would offer you a save or a password when a level is complete.Also a good way of keeping your high score table on robotron/galaga etc

Vimacs posted on Aug 9 2006 at 03:24 AM said:
Its just like cheating, as you ware ment to play it through without saveing.
Haha, if only the battery life would allow for that ;)

- Alex

westwoodek posted on Aug 9 2006 at 03:22 AM said:
I use savestates all the time on the pc mame.Black tiger for example,when I complete a level I save state it,just in the same way that any modern game would offer you a save or a password when a level is complete.Also a good way of keeping your high score table on robotron/galaga etc
You know, I totally forgot MAME had savestates, but you have reminded me. I for one am getting a little fed up with all this talk of "cheating" when saving. It's as if we are supposed to forget that computers have the ability to retain and restore data. (It's slightly OT, but I'm trying to play Nethack the "pure" way, and I'm becoming increasingly disgusted with the intended mode of play.) Hell, there were even save and restore points on the Zelda games going back to the 8-bit cartriges. There were even coin-operated arcade games that allowed you to enter your name and birthday, and would restore your game, think of that!

I too would like to see save states on MAME, just like they already exist on many of the handheld and console emulators. I would also like people to stop trying to lay a guilt trip on people who are more interested in seeing the full breadth and depth of a game, than mastering every intricacy of that game along the way, to have such a priviledge.

If MAME on the PC has yielded on this point (it took them forever to give in to savestates), I think we should strive to have that same feature on our GP's. Then again, I'd like to have *all* of the features of MAME32 on my GP (and I've mentioned it before in this forum).

oneandoneis2 posted on Aug 9 2006 at 08:25 AM said:
Oh, like it's not cheating to play arcade games without putting coins into a slot? :p

One could make the same argument with jukeboxes, but since my family's jukeboxes are owned by my family, we have the right to put them on freeplay.

I first got into the retro scene back in the ps one days.I took to playing gunsmoke on a capcom collection,and was pissed off spending 40 mins getting to the last level,and with only so much time on my hands having to switch if off after a session,only to have to start all over again next time I played.

On th pc mame,I am strict in only allowing myself a save after completing a level.

The only reason arcade games never had a password system for example,is because obviously no one thought to put something like that in.After all,if you can jump tp level 7 or 8 in a game and havent mastered it,your credits gonna dissapear faster,and the cynic that I am in my old age now see's how much arcade games were geared at getting the kids on for the least amount of time for thier credit.

ok,of at a tangent now,GIVE US SAVE STATES IN THE NEXT VERSION PLEASE,and the anal types amongst you need only not use it ;)

Back