Question/possible Port Request

renwils

I was thinking about the possibilities of the Pandora as a remote-play device, and it occurred to me that ssh would be well suited to the task. This would allow someone to run x86 binaries, or programs that are simply too resource intensive for the Pandora over a LAN.

From what I understand, it would be impossible to render OGL applications over ssh using the -glx extension, because the client X server is doing the rendering, and OGL-ES would be incompatible. Is this correct?

Also I came upon an alternative, called VirtualGL. This seems like the ideal solution, assuming that the VirtualGL client can be ported. Is there any interest in porting this? I'll look into it myself, but my experience is fairly limited with this sort of thing.

Lunatic said:
I was thinking about the possibilities of the Pandora as a remote-play device, and it occurred to me that ssh would be well suited to the task. This would allow someone to run x86 binaries, or programs that are simply too resource intensive for the Pandora over a LAN.

From what I understand, it would be impossible to render OGL applications over ssh using the -glx extension, because the client X server is doing the rendering, and OGL-ES would be incompatible. Is this correct?

Also I came upon an alternative, called VirtualGL. This seems like the ideal solution, assuming that the VirtualGL client can be ported. Is there any interest in porting this? I'll look into it myself, but my experience is fairly limited with this sort of thing.

You raise a good point. X forwarding could open up a whole range of possibilities on the Pandora. I don't know about the OpenGL issue, but now I'm interested in knowing as well.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
For PS3 owners the is Open Remote Play. Although I did read some where that Sony included something in is 2.80 update to partially disable it. I think (I read somewhere) there is a new option in the 3.01 update for mobile devices or something so perhaps that project isn't dead after all. Could be a useful port to the Pandora.

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/open-remote-play-orp-v1-2-beta-is-now-available/

Enverex said:
scrag_10 said:
This means I can play Crysis?

If you can get it to work with remote controls and some sort of VNC client...

The guys said "this means". And what the OP said in no way "means" that he can play Crysis. Your solution has nothing to do with the topic. I'm sorry to split hairs, but instead of giving him false hopes about being able to play Crysis, it might be better to explain to him why X-forwarding would not help someone in any way to play Crysis.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:
scrag_10 said:

... it might be better to explain to him why X-forwarding would not help someone in any way to play Crysis.

-God Ginrai

Because Crysis doesn't use X, and it certainly doesn't use OpenGL.
Theoretically, there may be a way to run it in WINE (It runs on some computers in WINE, but not well) and then stream that over an X tunnel, but that's a hell of a lot of encrypting, transmission, and bandwidth, so

NO. YOU ARE NOT EVER GOING TO PLAY CRYSIS ON THE PANDORA EVER.
THERE IS NO PRACTICAL WAY.

Let's just leave it at that.

God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:
scrag_10 said:

The guys said "this means". And what the OP said in no way "means" that he can play Crysis. Your solution has nothing to do with the topic. I'm sorry to split hairs, but instead of giving him false hopes about being able to play Crysis, it might be better to explain to him why X-forwarding would not help someone in any way to play Crysis.

-God Ginrai

I was more being sarcastic. I'm pretty sure he was too.

Enverex said:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:
scrag_10 said:

-God Ginrai

I was more being sarcastic. I'm pretty sure he was too.

I don't appreciate sarcasm such as his (assuming it was sarcasm) so early in a serious topic. (Especially in a topic that isn't someone asking something that has been asked 800 times before.)

-God Ginrai

A quick look shows that TurboJPEG, a dependency for VirtualGL, targets a closed source Intel library. Apparently this allows for jpeg compression at 3-4 times the speed of when compiled with the open-source libjpeg. I imagine that this speed increase would be entirely on the server side, so it probably wouldn't be a limiting factor. Besides, a frame of full-screen video on the pandora is only .3 megapixels. Regardless, I probably won't delve too deeply into this until I have a Pandora in my hands.

Back